The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Project "SWISS CHEESE" the 68 Camaro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384390)

hgs_notes 11-07-2011 01:09 AM

Re: Project "SWISS CHEESE" the 68 Camaro

I can't imagine this wreck being a car again. Whatever the owner is paying you isn't enough.

JHT67 11-07-2011 08:48 PM

Do you have any pics of the car from when your friend brought it home. I would love to see what someone could think was a good driver, and what it can really turn out to be. I'm wondering if the seller could be as innocent as the buyer. I am sure there is plenty of old Camaros out there that I would love to own, and would certainly drive, but was totally swiss cheese.

Poor Ol'Camaros :waah:

67ChevyRedneck 11-08-2011 09:25 AM

James, you must be giving this fella one hell of a good deal on your time, because I honestly just can't see how it's not cheaper to go with another tub. Given your location, I'm sure it's hard to find a good one... My dad's firebird is a rusty mess but not even 1/10 as bad as that one and I'm only saving the tub on it because it means a lot to me. It wouldn't be right to just piece together another car.

With all that said... I can't wait to see this baby come back together :metal:

noonzor 01-18-2012 02:31 PM

james..... i think you enjoy metalworkin a little too much hahaha.

nuke1 02-21-2012 02:04 PM

I am a slacker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics soon

mcbassin 02-21-2012 03:31 PM

Update brother???? just sayin

nuke1 02-22-2012 12:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, so here is a few pictures, I am truely having a hard time getting myself to work on this car. Just something that I don not want to do, but I am gonna try to get it done soon. I make more money on other jobs. but it is what it is so what is that saying from the south "Git R' Done!" On to a few pics. BTW I am not doing a great job on this car, all I am doing is making it street legal and safe, not a show car by any means.

nuke1 02-22-2012 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more, I will get a few more pics as I get more done, This car has taken way too long and I need your guys support to get it done. So let's roll up our sleeves and make some sparks fly!!

mcbassin 02-22-2012 12:50 AM

Looks good to me James. Not sure where to begin on one of these puppies? I have a feeling my 68 is going to have a lot of the same issues as this one. Hopefully not this bad. It has a pesky vinyl roof and I know its got some rust under there:(

Please stay motivated and take lots of pics of this one. I know it sucks but you can do it. Git r done! Oh yeah, try to hang around this year;)

PHAT TONY 02-22-2012 02:12 AM

As a 25 year experienced bodyman, last 7 in full time restorations, I hear ya not wanting to work on this...I wouldn't do this for my mom!(I don't think anyways) Hat's off to ya; holy jeez!

nuke1 02-23-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5204533)
Looks good to me James. Not sure where to begin on one of these puppies? I have a feeling my 68 is going to have a lot of the same issues as this one. Hopefully not this bad. It has a pesky vinyl roof and I know its got some rust under there:(

Please stay motivated and take lots of pics of this one. I know it sucks but you can do it. Git r done! Oh yeah, try to hang around this year;)

Lol, I will get it done, just to do a cooler project after it! And I will hang out this year, I promise!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHAT TONY (Post 5204673)
As a 25 year experienced bodyman, last 7 in full time restorations, I hear ya not wanting to work on this...I wouldn't do this for my mom!(I don't think anyways) Hat's off to ya; holy jeez!

I know, been doing this fo 18 years and i look at this thing and shake my head. Thx btw, besides I have a 57' chev to do for my mom that she has had since she was 15. Can not wait!
Posted via Mobile Device

YBNORML 02-23-2012 07:40 PM

Your NUTS! :) Kudo's to you for doing it though.

Dieselwrencher 02-23-2012 09:22 PM

What's the hold up? :lol: I mean, you must be enjoying an above average nice winter too. That's why this thing isn't done yet, huh? :lol:

nuke1 02-24-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 5208122)
Your NUTS! :) Kudo's to you for doing it though.

Lol, I do believe I am nuts also for doin it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5208333)
What's the hold up? :lol: I mean, you must be enjoying an above average nice winter too. That's why this thing isn't done yet, huh? :lol:

Super nice winter! Scares me way too much because I wonder what spring will be like. And yes you are right totally
Posted via Mobile Device

nuke1 02-24-2012 02:02 AM

Well, I went out tonite for a bit and got a few more patches put into the the skeleton, I then set the skeleton on top of the floor in the rough position where it should be. Now I just need a few measurements to actually make sure it is in the right place then start assembling more on it. What a pita! Oh well I am a sucker for punishment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 02-24-2012 11:44 AM

I totally agree with ya on the spring deal! I hope it doesn't rain every day for 3 months! Once you get that floor in again you will feel a great deal a bit better about swiss cheese. But then don't look at the back of the shell. :lol:

mcbassin 02-27-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 5208924)
Well, I went out tonite for a bit and got a few more patches put into the the skeleton, I then set the skeleton on top of the floor in the rough position where it should be. Now I just need a few measurements to actually make sure it is in the right place then start assembling more on it. What a pita! Oh well I am a sucker for punishment.
Posted via Mobile Device

You still need some measurements? Let me know

nuke1 02-27-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5209433)
I totally agree with ya on the spring deal! I hope it doesn't rain every day for 3 months! Once you get that floor in again you will feel a great deal a bit better about swiss cheese. But then don't look at the back of the shell. :lol:

LOL, I know. hope to have it all together this weekend! we will see. jsut had to pull the trans in my silverado thou last nite! it went boom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5215945)
You still need some measurements? Let me know

I do. I will ph you tonite, just getting a pic drawn up for ya. thanks

nuke1 02-27-2012 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of where I need measurements, I hope this helps. thx

Dieselwrencher 02-27-2012 06:38 PM

Is that the pic of the body shell you're sending me James? :lol:

mcbassin 02-27-2012 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James,
I took the measurements. Here is what I came up with. I am working on the pictures of exactly where I took them.

mcbassin 02-27-2012 08:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pictures

mcbassin 02-27-2012 08:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More:

mcbassin 02-27-2012 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
James,
Please let me know if I can get you any more measurements. Not sure I helped you much with the floor dimension.??

nuke1 02-27-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5216624)
Is that the pic of the body shell you're sending me James? :lol:

I totally would, but this was back burner! Lol, kinda hard too now. But we can try if u want, but. She may come painted.
Posted via Mobile Device