The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bedwood/bed floor ideas ond pictures (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=405659)

Coach529 06-27-2013 05:55 PM

Re: Bedwood/bed floor ideas ond pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by combinepilot68 (Post 6145174)
I took rough cut fir, planed down one side, then used a table saw to make the strip grooves. For a finish, I wanted the old aged patina look, so I acid etched the boards using a vinegar/muratic acid solution that had steel wool and some iron filings soaking in it for about a month in a glass jar................... Quick wipe on the boards with a shop cloth is all it took. Just reused the same old bed strips with a new bolt set that I "rusted" in the same solution........ good as old.

Turned out great!!

88fordf150 01-10-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBowtie (Post 4401780)
I used oak plywood, cabinet grade, stained and completely sealed with epoxy and varnish. Got to install SS edge strips yet! Heck of alot cheaper than oak boards!

Looks good! I don't think anyone would know the difference.

yossarian19 01-10-2015 05:11 PM

Plywood underneath & a buddy's old (cedar) fence that blew down in a storm.
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...ps29d869a3.jpg

scmense 01-10-2015 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My truck will be utilized fossil hunting so will be exposed to the sun. I wanted the floor weather resistant and tough enough for daily use.

Multiple coatings of POR-15 then two coats of black paint for sun protection.

50 ChopTop 01-11-2015 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not complete but heres what I got

michaelt55 01-13-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsenk7414 (Post 4958049)
Here's a pic of a diamond plate bed floor I saw at a show this weekend. Thinking of tearing out whats left of my rotted out wood bed and following suit.

Whats the cost compared to oak? Diamond plate isn't cheap and what thickness would you use?

michaelt55 01-13-2015 11:33 AM

what year dakota or does it matter?

oossuuu754 02-10-2015 12:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
5/8" exterior grade plywood as a base, 125 year old tongue and groove barn wood for the finished bed.

yossarian19 02-10-2015 01:00 PM

Very very nice.

NorCalGal 05-19-2021 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wow 6 years since anyone has posted their bed! I’m game. Stain looks nice but seems like a pain to keep looking nice when clear coated, would it be easier to just oil or beeswax the wood?

daveshilling 05-21-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 8922589)
Wow 6 years since anyone has posted their bed! I’m game. Stain looks nice but seems like a pain to keep looking nice when clear coated, would it be easier to just oil or beeswax the wood?

Depends on when you drive and how you store. Personally I would go with something to slow down the sun damage, like Waterlox Marine/Outdoor finish, or if it matches the aesthetic of your truck, just let nature do its thing and allow it to go grey while you oil/beeswax.

The one benefit to just using oil is that it does need re-application, but when you do, you can easily just wipe it on the bed and be on your way every 6 months, vs. removing the wood, sanding, resealing, and reinstalling every few years.

Johns327 05-23-2021 05:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a crazy bed wood design. Not sure if it lifts but wow.

Johns327 05-23-2021 05:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some others I’ve seen at shows that were beautiful. To dang nice to use.

Johns327 05-23-2021 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My trucks bed is maple, black dye, exterior water base clear coat. Not sure how well it will hold up over time but the truck is garaged and not generally in the bad weather.:metal:

svr 05-23-2021 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut my own out of what they call Brown Maple, hardest wood ive ever worked with. 4 coats of the same 2k clear i used on the metal, supposed to have UV protection in it. We’ll see.

918Wbrown 06-06-2021 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not everyone's cup of tea but I am putting a metal floor in mine from a 1997 silveardo. I got a mint bed for 100 bucks and took about a day of drilling spot welds and cutting it to fit. I'm having to tub my bed anyways so this seemed like the cheapest option for now cheaper than lumber and new stainless strips anyways haha. I still have to cut the wheel tubs down I don't like how high they are.

mrbuck 11-07-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 8922589)

Where did you find that gas filler hatch/ cover/ door thing? looks really clean.

72Mountaineer 11-09-2021 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It might not be perfect but I can show you the hillside where the oak trees were cut in the 70s.

mr48chev 11-09-2021 11:41 PM

That's a seriously nice looking bed in my book.

I've been looking into getting one of the bandsaw sawmill guys selling live edge planks to Rough cut me the boards for a bed out of a log of interesting wood. A friend of mine is still teaching high school wood shop and his students can plane the wood for me.

MiraclePieCo 11-10-2021 03:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love it when someone revives old threads. Lots of wisdom herein.

T-111 exterior siding coated with Marine Spar Varathane. The plate is for battery access.

vintovka 11-14-2021 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After like 5+ beds in 50+ years i wanted durability and longevity over beauty. I used stainless runners and hardware over Lowes Choicedek Fascia (not decking). At about a foot wide it gave me more latitude to fit bed easily. Held up well here against ocean spray.

my56chevytruck 11-23-2021 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lumber yard pine, I routed and oak stained

nikwho 11-26-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my56chevytruck (Post 8998909)
lumber yard pine, I routed and oak stained

Nice work! I particularly like your wheel tubs!

dsraven 11-27-2021 03:57 PM

I put a steel box floor in mine. we get lots of temp differences here and I want to not have to reseal or anything once done. I have wondered about a plastic decking like trex though, it is a sold piece and takes maching well if the edges need to be trimmed or routered etc. not sure how it would hold up under the heat of the muffler etc. may need a heat shield, like any bed should also have. my tank filler is in the tep side fender because I do plan to haul stuff and would inevitably need to fill the tank when there is something in the box. filler has a door over it from a newer truck that is reshaped to the fender contour.

vintovka 11-27-2021 05:39 PM

Now almost 4 years old the synthetic deck in mine is still like new. The stuff cuts and routs just like soft wood. Because i chose to use the thinner choicedeck fascia boards from Lowes i did not rout the runner grooves but simply laid them on top. I spaced the runners to cover the seams and slightly routed them to fit under side bed rails. I too was worried about exhaust heat with only 7-8" clearance but it hasn't been a problem. Having the rails sit proud of the bed material has prevented any scuffs. Again my only regret is not bolting bed in BEFORE tank was installed.