The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Texa Go (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=531470)

Billett 09-26-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Project Texa Go

Got the truck out into the sunshine yesterday. It started to overheat and go into limp mode. Turns out the upper rad hose is a little higher than the fill cap on the rad, so there was no coolant in the water pump. Once I filled that up it was much better, that is until the hose blew off and sprayed coolant everywhere... That gave me a voltage code... Rinsed everything off with a bit of water, blew it out with air and let it sit for a few hours. I'll try starting it up today and see if I still get that code.

As far as reading codes goes, I bought an OBDII to Bluetooth adapter from amazon for ~$25 and the torque app for android. It works fantastically!

Billett 10-01-2013 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the Excel sheet mostly done. Wish I could put this on my resume...

hgs_notes 10-02-2013 10:18 PM

Love the truck. That spreadsheet is slick, well done. Ready to drive yet?

Billett 10-03-2013 07:58 AM

Just about. The front clip needs a few shims so my hood will close haha. And right now it isn't tuned so its stuck in limp mode and won't come out of 2nd. Other than that she runs great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 10-07-2013 07:47 PM

Made it to a local show on Saturday. The pics I took were hasty, but I'll put them up later anyway. Got the hood and fenders to fit pretty well, but its still in limp mode. Got a Tech 2 hooked up and I'm getting some codes for the 1-2 solenoid, 2-3 solenoid, and pressure control solenoid. I'm assuming if I fix the pressure solenoid it will fix the other two problems, but we'll see. It may be that one of the solenoids is bad and is throwing off the voltage for the other.

Billett 10-19-2013 08:56 AM

Well it was a pretty easy solution for the transmission issue. I had the plug in upside down! Not sure how I managed that, but at least it works now. Also got some nice LEDs for the dash and a new intake since the small spectre one wasn't working.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...ps685c52c5.jpg

Almost ready for that tune!

Chevymann1968 10-22-2013 08:23 AM

Awesome Looks Great. Im the guy thats on LS1tech that just posted the video of getting beat by the 240 with the turbo Supra Engine.

Billett 10-22-2013 09:04 AM

That's awesome, small world I guess. You planning on going LS with the c10 too?

Chevymann1968 10-22-2013 09:31 AM

Oh yea. I would like to do a blown 408 stoker.

Billett 10-22-2013 02:25 PM

That would be fantastic! I'm thinking remote turbo down the road, but for now it's nice just to not have to warm it up when I want to go somewhere haha

Chevymann1968 10-22-2013 06:31 PM

:nx:

LOL I hear that. Dude LS motors LOVE NITROS!!! LOVE!!!! It would also be cheaper than a turbo setup. Wow how did you get a 6liter for 900 bucks!!!

Billett 10-23-2013 12:19 PM

Believe it or not the engine was only $600. The trans was separate for $300. Craigslist was great :D Problem was I spent another $725 for a good harness so it kinda evens out anyway.

Chevymann1968 10-23-2013 01:19 PM

Yea your right. Supposedly there is a guy around here that says he cant get what ever i want for around 1500 Motor&Trans with complete harness and computer. I guess once im that far in i will find out.

Billett 10-23-2013 02:03 PM

Not a bad deal for a 6.0 and 4l80 but there still might be better deals out there. When I really think about it; yeah the new harness was a lot of money, but at least I know its new and I won't have to worry about busted and rotting pins and plugs for a good long time. If I had rewired a 10 year old harness it may have given me trouble sooner rather than later.

Billett 10-26-2013 11:22 AM

Gonna have the exhaust done this week, so I'm trying to get the dash taken care of before I send it off. As soon as I get it back itll be over to RPM for a tune!

Billett 11-05-2013 01:06 PM

Got the truck dropped off for exhaust Friday. Busy week so the dash didn't get done, but I don't know when I'll be able to get it tuned anyway. We ended up having car troubles with two of our dailies last week so it's been a bit hectic.

Normally we have an extra car in the house, but with mine going through the swap we had just enough. Then a month or so ago my younger brother's skylark threw a wristpin so we were down one. Still have motorcycles, but it's getting a bit chilly around here. Then last week one had a bad coil pack and the other overheated, which we found out was due to coolant and oil mixing... So right now as long as the truck runs, it'll be on the street tuned or not.

Chevymann1968 11-07-2013 05:50 PM

Yea when it rains it pours. What exhaust are you running? You should hear my Camaro it sounds good. Ive got Long tubes with an x and sweet thunder mufflers.

Billett 11-07-2013 06:05 PM

Doug Thorley tri-y swap headers with the 1-7/8 primaries, home made x-pipe, hooker aero chambers, over the axle and out the back. Also picked up a pair of cutouts too. Not electric just the y-pipe with cap. I couldn't afford another $300 but I wanted them in there now so I wouldn't need it redone.

Chevymann1968 11-07-2013 06:32 PM

Cool deal post a video when you get it done. It should sound good.

Billett 11-14-2013 03:02 PM

Got the truck back late Saturday. Sounds fantastic, but unfortunately one of the rear brake lines blew out... got the line and replaced it, but stripped the threads on the tee when I was putting it back in. It was late and cold and I was impatient... and that's what I get. Got a new tee coming in today so next week it should be ready for daily driving.

In the mean time we got the coil pack and head gasket fixed and the Buick is pretty darn close to done as well. Managed to get it painted in 40 degree weather with careful use of a heat gun and a fair bit of assistance.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...ps39179169.jpg

Billett 11-14-2013 03:06 PM

Not sure if I ever posted a pic of the Buick. 1978 skylark, 60k original miles on the 231 v6 before it gave up. Replacing with a 72 350 SBB.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...psbc9a39c9.jpg

hgs_notes 11-14-2013 07:56 PM

Engine looks good. The brake line thing kinda happened with me a couple weeks ago. Refilling/sealing the rear diff on my sons S-10 blazer. Brake line started dripping just from moving the line out of the way from the cover. Better it happened then than if he was driving somewhere.

Bad news was that he didn't get the cover gasket cleaned enough and it still leaks so we get to do it again. :(

swamp rat 11-14-2013 09:56 PM

I didn't catch it the first time thru but i just noticed you used a block of 4X4 to support the hood at the hinge when you unbolted the hinge from the inner fender to clean out the heater, great idea, did you have any problems supporting the hood at all? any sudden surprises?

Oh, Yea Doug Thorley Try Y header's do have a nice affect on sound, i am real interested to hear the Hooker Aero Chambers too..

Billett 11-15-2013 11:47 AM

It actually worked perfectly. I loosened the driver side just enough to not bend any of the sheet metal and set the pass side on the block and the springs held it up just fine. Didn't even waver when i bumped into it once or twice.

swamp rat 11-15-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 6365626)
It actually worked perfectly. I loosened the driver side just enough to not bend any of the sheet metal and set the pass side on the block and the springs held it up just fine. Didn't even waver when i bumped into it once or twice.

Cool, thank you! Now i can tackle that little project on my own..