The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck Caps, Camper Shells, Toppers... call them what you will, lets see them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=775577)

1976gmc20 11-21-2020 04:49 PM

Re: Truck Caps, Camper Shells, Toppers... call them what you will, lets see them

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808_67C10 (Post 8838409)
Oh WOW, that is super cool. Never seen a shell torn down like that. I am sure it wasn't that bad but, came out perfect. Dig it!!!:metal:

I may have posted this before, but I got a shell that was wrecked for free and tore it all apart like that and re-arched the bent ribs and bought new sheet metal for the roof and plexiglass for the rear window. I spent a bunch also on nuts/bolts/washers and corner brackets to put the frame back together.

kipps 11-25-2020 04:27 PM

Re: Truck Caps, Camper Shells, Toppers... call them what you will, lets see them

Can someone give me an idea of what these aluminum or fiberglass toppers weigh? Could I remove and install one on a longbed truck in just a few minutes by myself? Or are they too heavy for that? I'm not a gym rat, but I'm definitely not feeble either, if that makes a difference.

I really like the concept of a topper to keep my collection of toolboxes dry, particularly for those sudden summertime thunderstorms. But I also intend to use this truck regularly with a gooseneck trailer. I'm just wondering if it will be feasible to remove/reinstall the topper on a weekly basis.

daddyjeep 11-25-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8840786)
Can someone give me an idea of what these aluminum or fiberglass toppers weigh? Could I remove and install one on a longbed truck in just a few minutes by myself? Or are they too heavy for that? I'm not a gym rat, but I'm definitely not feeble either, if that makes a difference.

I really like the concept of a topper to keep my collection of toolboxes dry, particularly for those sudden summertime thunderstorms. But I also intend to use this truck regularly with a gooseneck trailer. I'm just wondering if it will be feasible to remove/reinstall the topper on a weekly basis.

I would think my aluminum cap is well under 100 lbs. it is real easy with two people and i would think it would be manageably by yourself.

kipps 11-25-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8840823)
I would think my aluminum cap is well under 100 lbs. it is real easy with two people and i would think it would be manageably by yourself.

Thanks for the reply! How are they typically fastened? Is it just a handful of bolts through the bed rails, or is there some sort of quick attach system that works well? Would Jeep hood straps work, by any chance?

1967KaiserM715 11-25-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8840829)
Thanks for the reply! How are they typically fastened? Is it just a handful of bolts through the bed rails, or is there some sort of quick attach system that works well? Would Jeep hood straps work, by any chance?

I would say aluminum cap is closer to 125 pounds, its manageable by 1 person, 2 is ideal

As for attaching, you could drill and use bolts, but they make these aluminum C-clmps that
Are made for attaching truck caps and tonneau covers, 6 for a long bed, I think last I'll checked it was around $30 for a set of 6

sweetk30 11-25-2020 10:20 PM

my buddy brings 2 2x4's with him and his utility trailer to pull his fiberglass cap for summer camper towing season .

we use my 2 post lift and pick it off otherwise its a 3 -4 man job to be safe .

and he has a short bed box . :sumo:

1976gmc20 11-26-2020 04:15 PM

Back in the old days we just bolted them down, usually 8 bolts on a long bed.

I'm pretty sure that I put my first cab-high, unlined, aluminum shell on the pickup by myself. I had been manhandling it for weeks in the rebuild process. I think that I just tipped it up and got under it and balanced it on my shoulders by myself. It's a lot easier with at least two people, though.

Desert1957 11-28-2020 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 87
Attachment 2063598

808_67C10 12-01-2020 04:15 PM

808_67C10 12-01-2020 04:18 PM

I used to take my aluminum cap on/off by myself. Basically squat underneath it and lift while holding the cross bar. I'd put a blanket on each side of my bed so I wouldnt scratch the truck then, slide the blanket out when it was close to where its gonna sit... then, clamp her down... had a couple sketch moments but, 2 people is max, all you need... or if it has racks, could use pull straps and eye hooks in the garage. Used to take my jeep top on and off that way.

ilnvyb360 04-29-2021 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bringing this thread back up....

84 400 05-01-2021 10:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my cap. Off a newer ford truck. Not a perfect fit but close...

400/400 05-01-2021 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve been running an alum. topper for a couple years. Sure is nice to keep the bed dry.

Skyd Ram 08-04-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THI (Post 8538535)
My Survivors - 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix and 1978 Chevy C20 Camper Special

https://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...l/IMG_0195.jpg

https://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...l/IMG_0128.jpg

That is the way I found both of them - not bad for Michigan

Scrolling through this thread after doing a Google search and couldn't help noticing the parking lot at Hagerty Insurance. Then I realized that you are here in Traverse City. I was just up there with my 67 for Cars and Coffee this morning.

THI 08-06-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyd Ram (Post 9226845)
Scrolling through this thread after doing a Google search and couldn't help noticing the parking lot at Hagerty Insurance. Then I realized that you are here in Traverse City. I was just up there with my 67 for Cars and Coffee this morning.

I have not been since before COVID, my Friday hours changed and can no longer make it to Cars & Coffee. I should try to stop by anyway some Friday morning!

72c20customcamper 08-10-2023 08:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robs71 (Post 8506662)
Had this cap made recently in Denver Pa by a company called Beco Truck Caps..Fellow has been making caps for a long time and has many jigs and plans from the past...Very nice workmanship....

And its held up very well . I’ve owned the truck for 3 years