The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Big Bird - 1972 Longhorn K30 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=753294)

BlueBullet 02-25-2018 12:00 AM

Re: Big Bird - 1972 Longhorn K30

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the Rust Reformer dried and ready for top coat. Got it top coated with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator for a double wammy on the rust. Rapped up the rear brake line connections. Also got the hydroboost all wrapped up. Placed a few original ground cables in CLR over night. Here's a before and after example. Cleaned up nice

too much stuff 02-25-2018 12:12 AM

That will be a nice one when you are done!

MrBeast 02-25-2018 06:47 AM

Cool project!

I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

BlueBullet 02-25-2018 10:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!! It's coming together just the way I have been hoping. Today I got 4 batches of parts powder coated, the steering wrapped up, throttle hooked up, refreshed the battery tray and installed the oil pressure line.

BlueBullet 02-25-2018 10:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The throttle cable I had on hand was a little too long so I had to give it a trim. This is the second time I have done this mod and it's pretty easy if anyone is not familiar with it. First step is to figure what you need for a length. Then cut cable stop off back side and pull apart. Then with a firm grip pull both ends off cable housing. This one didn't cooperate so I had to drill out using a 13/64 bit. Just barely put pressure on the drill and it will zip in and stop when it gets to the bottom of original cavity. I cut cable housing to desired length with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder. Once done push the ends back on and insert cable. I then installed and rest pedal and clamped on new cable stop.

MrBeast 02-25-2018 11:34 PM

It is amazing what a difference modern coatings make on these trucks, so far superior to the paint they had back then, although through the 80's they really had some issues, it seems today what is available to us is far superior.

BlueBullet 02-28-2018 10:24 PM

Yep there sure is a lot a avenues one can take

BlueBullet 02-28-2018 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Went to Action Auto and had a rattle can mixed with factory color. They weren't able to do it at the local NAPA. I am happy with the end result. I painted the lower kick panels and a radio delete that was pretty rough.

BlueBullet 02-28-2018 10:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Working on cleaning up the outer heater box waiting on parts. Reconditioned the heater controls. I don't like the look of the standard rivets so I went with the same rivets that are used for vent window weather stripping. It think it looks cleaner. In order to make it work I ground down the existing molded rivets. Then I took a 1/8 bit and drilled through the faceplate using the molded rivet center as a guide. I then drilled out with a 5/32 bit. On the front I had to counter sink the faceplate just a little to get enough length to get a good bite with this particular rivet. The bit I used to counter sink is a 13/64 I think. I went down just enough to get through the stripped faceplate. I am real happy with how it turned out even the my faceplate wasn't much to begin with but it is the best I had on hand. When putting back together I sprayed the cables down with PB Blaster to loosen and lube things up.

BlueBullet 02-28-2018 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Switched out the Cab Harness for a Auto harness I had on hand. Washed the inside of the cab and started putting back together. I went with original door seals because of price but mainly because when you glue them on they don't move. I have a set of push ons on Casper and they pull away in the corners. I find that irritating. Switching to black interior also. How about the paint match on the radio delete?:metal:

Dieselwrencher 03-01-2018 01:23 AM

That's looking really nice! I haven't had any issues with my precision push on door seals moving on my 72. They've been on a couple years or more too.

BlueBullet 03-01-2018 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the transmission linkage rapped up today. Had to add three inches to the linkage rod. I just took a 3/8 x 4" bolt and chopped the threads and head off. Then welded it up. Used the frame mounted bracket from K30.

BlueBullet 03-01-2018 10:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Alos finished freshening up the outer heater box and got it mounted. Finished hooking up heater controls and duct work. Ran speedo cable and set in instrument panel.

fishnixon 03-03-2018 12:35 PM

Nice Job! Keeping an eye on ‘ya...👍

BlueBullet 03-07-2018 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been plugging away at odds and ends. Finished instrument panel install and tach wiring. I ordered a new engine harness for an automatic with HEI since I didn't have any good ones saved. Cleaned up a front wiring harness that I had saved from a parts truck. Got harness installed. Also cleaned fuel tank, installed new sending unit and got set back in cab and hooked up. Topped off with new filler cap.

BlueBullet 03-07-2018 10:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Also finished up the brake lines. I am pretty happy with how they turned out. I used copper nickel alloy line which is pretty easy to form. I rolled the 3/16" around a socket to form. The 1/4" was not as easy it wanted to kink so I had to form by hand turned out alright. All and all went together nicely.

Dieselwrencher 03-08-2018 12:44 AM

The lines turned out pretty nice. It sure is coming along pretty quickly.

BlueBullet 03-08-2018 10:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ryan!! The Big Bird is coming together now. Got the cab squared up and the front fenders and inner fenders hung. Not sure what I am going to do with front passenger fender. I have another one the same color but is borderline in better shape. I used poly cab and radiator support mounts and I like many others had to shim the front of the cab with 4 shims for alignment.

BlueBullet 03-08-2018 10:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also fixed a seat spring on a seat I traded for a while back. Cut up 90 off another broken seat spring I had and pinched her back together with some ferrals.

Vintage Windmills 03-09-2018 01:02 AM

Nice progress!

Dieselwrencher 03-09-2018 06:53 PM

Those body lines look really nice! Nice seat spring repair.

BlueBullet 03-09-2018 11:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!! Things have been going together pretty good. I chased all threads on nuts and bolts and that really speeds up assembly. With a little blood, sweat and swear words I was able to get the passenger fender straightened out better. Mounted back on the truck got the grill installed. Next installed an auxiliary transmission cooler. More blood sweat and swear words.

BlueBullet 03-10-2018 12:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Next back to the cab. I got the high hump sealed and installed. I ran the kickdown wiring up through the transfer case shifter hole. Then got the tar mat set and then the rubber mat. Will let that sit for a bit to settle in before installing door sill plates.

El Dorado Jim 03-10-2018 08:35 PM

sub'd

BlueBullet 03-10-2018 10:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well today was another busy day. The main shop had room so I thought now would be a good time to get the flatbed sectioned down. I started off marking out the areas that needed to be cut. My measurements for outside of tire to outside of tire is 81.5". By taking out the outside boards that brings it in from 94.5" to 87.5". I don't want to much over hanger of the bed width wise so hopefully that will work out. This way I will have some room to go if I want to put on a little wider rear tires. I started off by cutting out the corners. Then cut the back off. Once I got rear section separated from the remaining wood pieces I was off to cutting and sectioning the bed length wise. I was in a groove so I missed a lot of pictures. Meanwhile a buddy swung by and helped me get the seat in the truck. I got the be cut and put the extra section outside to save for possible future rust repairs.

BlueBullet 03-10-2018 10:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pictures

BlueBullet 03-10-2018 10:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Few more. I will be putting a blanket seat cover on the seat. I cut out a stake pocket from the extra section and will add that back in in the back of the bed.

BlueBullet 03-10-2018 11:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then was off to bringing in the sides. I took 3.5" off each side. Plasma cutter the cross members and a skill saw and cut down the length of the bed and snapped the side off to get to the bed screws with a sawzall. After cleaning up the sides I temporarily attached them with wood screws and washers. The front corners fit with a little trimming. After getting the rear panel sectioned down I removed the swing down hitch. Thought that was pretty neat so I might reinstall in the future. The back was a little tricky getting back in and aligned but managed to get tacked back in. Somewhere along the way I didn't measure twice and cut once so now the bed will be an inch shorter at 107". All and all today was a good day and I am shot.

BlueBullet 03-11-2018 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the bed done for now. I will eventually make a headache rack and a ways down the road I am thinking of making it a tilt bed.

BlueBullet 03-11-2018 03:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I also cut down the old sides and installed them.

BlueBullet 03-12-2018 09:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a lot of progress tonight. I ran and picked up my drive shaft. Went from shorting and new tubes to completely new shafts. Everything else on my old shafts where bad. The u-joints where obviously bad and the splines had enough wear that it would have viberated at high speeds. Also got the sill plates installed and saddle blanket seat cover. What's an old farm truck with out one.:haha:

Dieselwrencher 03-13-2018 08:34 PM

That stinks about the drive shafts but at least you saved yourself the headaches of fighting it now.

DWilbur 03-15-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBullet (Post 8210332)
Not a lot of progress tonight. I ran and picked up my drive shaft. Went from shorting and new tubes to completely new shafts. Everything else on my old shafts where bad. The u-joints where obviously bad and the splines had enough wear that it would have viberated at high speeds. Also got the sill plates installed and saddle blanket seat cover. What's an old farm truck with out one.:haha:

Would you happen to have a picture of the drive shaft center bushing mount. I had to make my rear drive shaft 2 piece similar to yours and I'm trying to figure out best way to build support. Thanks

BlueBullet 03-15-2018 09:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
DWilbur here are some pictures. Notice the side picture. The mounting location is at an angle towards the back as to help with driveline angle I would geuss. Can also kind of see it in the last picture.

BlueBullet 03-15-2018 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slow progress. Was putting in the rest of the fluids and noticed liquid on top of the water pump where the heater core is connected. There was a hair line crack.:devil:. New pump came in today. Napa stood behind it. Got the bumper hung for motivation and got the cowl installed. Tomorrow hopefully get the Bird to take flight.

DWilbur 03-16-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBullet (Post 8212810)
DWilbur here are some pictures. Notice the side picture. The mounting location is at an angle towards the back as to help with driveline angle I would geuss. Can also kind of see it in the last picture.

That helps a lot. I have to build a cross member this week end.

First c10 03-16-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8213122)
That helps a lot. I have to build a cross member this week end.

DW,
FYI....
I sent you a PM and it reads that your PM box is full and you cant receive a message until you make space by deleting messages

DWilbur 03-16-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8213246)
DW,
FYI....
I sent you a PM and it reads that your PM box is full and you cant receive a message until you make space by deleting messages

I just cleaned it out. try again.

BlueBullet 03-20-2018 09:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Firday night I woke Big Bird up from his slumber. Splash of gas and a turn of the key and popped right off. Still need to get the timing dialed in. Will be doing that Thursday night and also getting the brakes bled so Bird can be mobile to get the bed on. In the meantime I got the driveline installed, front bumper mounted and the interior finished for the most part. I am having issues with the blinkers but the flashers work. Also the horn doesn't work but I tested it by itself and she honks. I am thinking it's in the column harness or blinker lever possibly. Once I get the column put back together I will be putting on a better horn button. Anybody have any ideas let's hear them. I am sloooowwwly getting the electrical system figured out on these trucks. I cleaned up some black door panels and got some duri color paint and painted some medium green armrests. I will have to say they turned out pretty good. I was in a zone so I forgot to get before pictures. Almost forgot but also installed dealership tags. Big Bird didn't have any but the other truck I got at the same time did. They were also sold at the same dealership.

BlueBullet 03-23-2018 10:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got started on mocking up the bed frame. I am going to try and get some of the tilt bed pieces done at the same time for ease in the future. Hopefully get brakes bled and timing dialed in this weekend.