The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

mikebte 06-17-2018 07:37 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the battery mount. Side post to the rear. Cables run down the back and down the firewall.

MARTINSR 06-17-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8283365)
Finished the battery mount. Side post to the rear. Cables run down the back and down the firewall.

You better mount that battery straight or all the acid is going to run out! :lol:

Brian

mikebte 06-17-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8283371)
You better mount that battery straight or all the acid is going to run out! :lol:

Brian

Your not kidding. This is driving me crazy. Wont post an upright photo.

MARTINSR 06-17-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8283372)
Your not kidding. This is driving me crazy. Wont post an upright photo.

Now it's correct so my joke is stupid. LOL I rather have joke wrong than your picture so cool! :metal:

Brian

mikebte 06-17-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8282759)
You know you are working hard when you go into the house to have a shower and change into clean work clothes and go back out. :sumo:

Brian

I get caught with the same issue. Not going to have any nice clothes left at this rate.

evilokc 06-17-2018 11:24 PM

drove the death rattle all day. I fall more in love every time I drive it. I didn't get any work on the truck done. I did clean out the garage which will lead to better work later on. well I guess I did a tiny bit of work if you count prep/research. I took the new a/c bracket out and held it in place and went over the directions while looking at the motor. I already knew I was going to have to move the fuel line over a couple of inches but I will also have to cut the alternator bracket spacer to allow the a/c compressor bracket AND the alternator bracket occupy the same mounting hole the on the head. that means im going to have to get a bolt that matches all of the a/c compressor bracket bolts for the alternator. I believe I found a winner though. its supposed to rain all week here so maybe I will get some work done during the week.

MiraclePieCo 06-18-2018 02:28 AM

I went to an antique swap meet and even though it was a non-automotive event I miraculously found a set of inside door and window handles for my AD, and a pair of tail lights.

MARTINSR 06-18-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8283534)
I went to an antique swap meet and even though it was a non-automotive event I miraculously found a set of inside door and window handles for my AD, and a pair of tail lights.

Now that's cool, and probably at a better price. I plan on running 53-55 Corvette tail lights. I have one I bought years ago and now all I am seeing are pairs of them on ebay...for the $500-900 range! Repro lenses are even $125! So being I have the one I need to get another and I just bought a rough as hell bezel for $40. We will see what I can do with that and then will only need the lense.

Brian

mikebte 06-18-2018 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tested all my gauges for proper operation, installed a rheostat behind the dash for final brightness configurations.

evilokc 06-18-2018 11:46 PM

okay.. I got out to start on my compressor bracket. I didn't get as far as wanted. mistakes were made along with messes. I had to lay my alternator to the side. easy. then I started following the installation instructions. the first step is to grind a small area. did it. install the cradle on the top water pump bolt. done. remove 1st manifold bolt. done. here is where it gets messy. I needed to remove the heater hoses from the manifold and water pump just to have some room to move. coolant everywhere. its a disaster in my garage. got that handled. the bracket sits just about right but I have some more work to do. I need to make 2 spacers and make sure my belt lines up. the good news is that the bracket will work on top of my alternator bracket. im stoked about that.

MARTINSR 06-19-2018 12:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was BEAT today at work, fell asleep in the lunch room! And I love my five minute a day plan, that's all I was going to do, clamp the seat riser in to place, that was it. Well, I got it all welded and ground and the front brackets welded in, it's done!

I then went out for a 2+ mile walk! :metal:

Brian

MiraclePieCo 06-19-2018 04:57 AM

Raised my truck on jackstands and had my wife step on the brake pedal while I spun the wheels. My brakes are now fully functional!

Between the faulty proportioning valve, adapting GM hoses to Ford calipers, and the inevitable leaks, what an ordeal these brakes have been!

jweb 06-19-2018 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First drive after the new paint.

mikebte 06-19-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8284452)

Dang, That looks good.

MARTINSR 06-19-2018 01:13 PM

So cool! :metal:

I remember reading an article in the old "Rod Action" magazine back in the seventies about taking that first drive and how all the busted knuckles are forgotten. I wish I had a copy of it, it was really well done.

Brian

robertsjm711 06-19-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8284452)

I really like that color

jweb 06-19-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8284468)
So cool! :metal:

I remember reading an article in the old "Rod Action" magazine back in the seventies about taking that first drive and how all the busted knuckles are forgotten. I wish I had a copy of it, it was really well done.

Brian

Well I can't claim this as my first drive that would have been '06. I pulled it out of my parents yard in '05 when my dad passed away. It had sat for 25 years in pieces and I had it driving a year later. I've had it together (and apart) many times over the last 13 years.

Also my first ride in this truck was as a newborn, my parents brought me home from the hospital in it back in '78.

It did feel pretty good taking it out on Father's day.

jweb 06-19-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsjm711 (Post 8284471)
I really like that color

Thanks, I'll be in your neighborhood this weekend. There's a vintage trailer rally up at Riverbend Campground. The whole campground will be full of vintage trailers and there's an open house on Saturday if you're interested.
I'll have my truck and camper there.

MARTINSR 06-19-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8284483)
Well I can't claim this as my first drive that would have been '06. I pulled it out of my parents yard in '05 when my dad passed away. It had sat for 25 years in pieces and I had it driving a year later. I've had it together (and apart) many times over the last 13 years.

Also my first ride in this truck was as a newborn, my parents brought me home from the hospital in it back in '78.

It did feel pretty good taking it out on Father's day.

OMG that is so awesome it's crazy! I have a license plate off the 50 Olds I came home from the hospital in 1959. Wish I had the car but that license plate is a treasure of mine.

Brian

oldman3 06-19-2018 11:21 PM

jweb, cool truck and great story...Jim

MARTINSR 06-20-2018 01:38 AM

I had a meeting for work 50 miles away that was 3 hours of mind numbing crap, got home after 10 pm and got out to the garage for my five minutes! I punched and drilled holes in the cab and in the panels I am welding in at the cowl at the bottom of the hinge pillars. WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian

MIKESAD50 06-20-2018 09:56 AM

Looking very nice, great color and story.

mikebte 06-20-2018 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started my wiring tonight, guess this counts as my 5 minutes.

idbeast 06-20-2018 09:22 PM

My 5 minutes was to go pay for the PPG paint, over $1000/with tax for a gallon of paint and nothing else....:tim: and I need 1 1/2 gallons minimum!

Black_Sheep 06-20-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8285573)
Started my wiring tonight, guess this counts as my 5 minutes.

You work pretty fast!