The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Backyard Cummins (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=574152)

C20scott 11-01-2013 01:00 AM

Re: Backyard Cummins

Forgot to add a though.

SANDING SUCKS!! Especially all of the radiuses on the inside of the cab. If you enjoy sanding/body work, i envy you, and i will pay you to sand next time. Otherwise, I will be making a trip to the blasting shop and start painting from scratch.

Next step on the inside is a combination of carpet>seats>wiring. From there I need a driveshaft so i can get closer to test driving. And hopefully some black smokey burnouts...

y5mgisi 11-01-2013 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info!

Dieselwrencher 01-22-2014 09:34 PM

Nice project and great work on it! Have you made anymore progress on your build?

Zane M 01-23-2014 09:27 AM

Great work so far!

superduty_59 01-24-2014 10:19 PM

Awesome build. Diesel is the only way to go if you want power, fuel mileage and the best sound you can hear. 12v p-pumped would also be the engine of my choice. Any new progress?

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Visible progress has been slow lately. Wiring has taken up most of my time.

I was able to participate in the application of Herculiner on a friends truck. This is what i plan to do once i move on to exterior paint. It looks awesome, easy application, and is really tough.

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I FINALLY got my ride height figured out. Previously i had about 2" of sag in the rear. My solution was to buy shackle flip brackets from Off Road Development. They give a 4" lift without the need for lift blocks or aftermarket springs, and they better my pinion angle. They took awhile to install, as you need to remove the rivets on your stock hangers.

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
90% complete with wiring. the holdup is with all my non-stock accessories.

Push button start, grid heater, and new keyed ignition shown below.

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Instrument cluster is one of my last difficult wiring tasks.

**Note the inset .357mag shells that with green LED's in them. They will blink with left or right turn signal!

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Custom driveshaft now that my ride height is set. 3.5" Diameter, courtesy of SB Driveline.

CV up front, with 1410 flange in rear.

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Added a few more legs to my exhaust. I decided that there wasnt enough room to bother routing between the framerails. So i routed it under the heater core to the outer passenger side. I will end up needing to cut my wells to accommodate.

I will eventually have a turndown right after the passengers door. Im not a "Stack" kindof guy...

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Of course there is no standard 4x4 linkage for the nv4500/np205 combo that i had. I ended up chopping up one that i had laying around, and making my own.

Its basically an angle iron mounted to the top of the tranny, with a pivot point welded on from another linkage. Works perfect!

C20scott 01-26-2014 11:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I procured a set of seats out of an 03 silverado. I really like the comfort of these, and that the seatbelts are integrated into the seat. So i dont have to mount my own.

These seats are much larger than i had initially thought, truck cabs nowadays are much larger than older..

In order to make them sit low enough i had to recess the floor. I cut out the raised conflicting locations of the stock floor, and boxed them out with flat sheet metal. This is required at 3 locations for both the passenger and driver's side.

The seats sit alot better now, still big, but better. I cleaned up the welds and drilled the necessary holes. I will still need to reinforce the mount locations below the cab, as the seats are responsible for stopping me in a crash...

C20scott 01-27-2014 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2 things on my to-do list before i install carpet.
- connect reverse light switch(pigtail is in the mail)
- buy new high hump(the old one is chopped up and unusable from PO)

I plan on using carpet tape instead of adhesive, as i want the option to remove someday..

Color is Stock Interiors "dark green"

C20scott 01-27-2014 01:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Better pics of gauge bezel below.
- Speedo, volt, water temp, oil press, and fuel level are all VDO vision
- Tachometer is a standard Autometer, that i will need to set for a 4cyl engine, to match the Cummins tach sensor.
- EGT and Boost are digital autometer gauges
- Turn signal indicators are .357mag shells that i drilled the primers out of(after firing). I bought a pack of 10 pre-wired green LED lights off of ebay for $8. I inserted these into the shells, and glued them into place.
- Switches are still up in the air at this point. Offroad lights, cooling fan off, air compressor engage, are the ones that i can think of now... Maybe PA system or something stupid like that??
-Headlight/wiper switches have been relocated elsewhere on the dash.

y5mgisi 01-27-2014 02:25 AM

Love it all.

Dieselwrencher 01-27-2014 03:49 PM

Loking good. You might change your mind about dumping the exhaust behind the cab once you start driving it. With no muffler you might get tired of it quickly. :lol:

y5mgisi 01-27-2014 04:01 PM

Also, your shackle flip is from offroad design. Not offroad development.

C20scott 01-28-2014 09:34 PM

I may be able to convince myself to have a stack in the bed if it was out of necessity, meaning noise, or soot on my fenders. Until then I want to be "Low Key". Luckily my pipe routing will be easily accessible for modification.

ORD, offroad design, sorry for the typo.

Dieselwrencher 01-29-2014 08:13 PM

If you can, run the exhaust pipe along the outside of the frame and then have it angle out behind the rear tire or something. That's what I'm going to try to do to my Longhorn some time this year.

rambler 01-29-2014 09:37 PM

subscribed... would want to do this someday,but no way do I have these skills....

C20scott 02-05-2014 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The NV4500 reverse switch pigtail is the same between GM and Cummins transmissions. Part # is 12085485, and should cost less than 10$. It is a dual prong male connector, with a notch on one of the prongs. Allows current to pass through to your reverse light..

Hopefully this saves someone a few hours of research.

C20scott 02-05-2014 02:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got around to wiring up the gauge bezel. Looks somewhat complicated, but in reality its not. Take it one wire at a time and eventually it will look like this.

I have a harness connector that i will be connecting all of the wires into. Switch purposes are still undetermined. I will probably finish this up in the next few weekends.

C20scott 02-05-2014 02:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another embarrassment that needs to be fixed. The PO had cut about 5 holes in the trans hump, with what had appeared to be a cutting torch, or a chainsaw.
Option A: $100 for a hump out of a nearby salvage yard.
Option B: Cut out all holes, and rebuild hump with sheet metal already in my garage...

I didnt take a pic of the "before", but here is "after" i cut out the holes. I am also extremely tired of dealing with the off-brand sound deadener that the PO applied to the floorboards. It is a sticky mastic that looks like crap, difficult to remove, and melts when i grind or weld near it. i might cover it up with another layer or something.

I will finish this up in the next week or so also.

C20scott 02-05-2014 02:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yet another stupid mod that i have taken on. I am happy with the placement of the driver/passenger seats, however, the center jump seat brackets will need to be modified to fit. Also, i want it to fold down.

So, this means i tear it apart, find out what its made of, and re-create. At this point i think i can buy some marine seat fold-down brackets, cut the round tubing at the desired joint, and bolt them on. Hopefully it doesn't turn into too large of the project.

This one may wait for a month or so, as it is not critical to me driving the truck around