The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=618765)

desertdogg 03-23-2014 07:30 PM

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6590666)
Looks well taken care of. But I'm thinking its been replaced at some point, a 99 or 2000 wouldn't have the DBW that you have. Under the rail that holds the rockers on the left side of the headbetween the two cylinders is another date code like the one on your block, see what it says

Thanks LS1, I thought it looked pretty good too. I wish I knew the history of this thing. The outside of the engine looks really clean as well, what would you do if you were me would you keep it ?. I talked to the guy at the wrecking yard and he said he is getting some more units in on Wednesday and Thursday, he said he should have something for me then with all the correct documentation and odometer reading. I guess if all else fails I will keep this but the only problem is I wouldnt have the correct mileage.

desertdogg 03-23-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6590698)
i pulled the valve covers off my 2004 5.3 and it was way nastier than the engine you got, i cleaned it up some under there (my motor also has 130k)...but still you paid for a certain item and didn't get it...id be out waiver guns in there air!!! I'm not done with my swap but if it turns out to be a bad motor or tranny I'm going to be super crazy mad...i drove 2.5 hours to get mine as well

Thanks for the reply Dman, it does look pretty good, and nice and clean If I knew for sure on the mileage I would keep it but from the looks of it I wont know for sure. I just hope the next one I get looks as good with the right documentation as far as miles go. It would be ironic if I got a worse engine than the one I got now even if I did know the correct mileage does not necessarily mean its a better engine..kind of a coin toss I guess

dman1982 03-23-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogg (Post 6590763)
Thanks for the reply Dman, it does look pretty good, and nice and clean If I knew for sure on the mileage I would keep it but from the looks of it I wont know for sure. I just hope the next one I get looks as good with the right documentation as far as miles go. It would be ironic if I got a worse engine than the one I got now even if I did know the correct mileage does not necessarily mean its a better engine..kind of a coin toss I guess

very true desertdog, from what I've seen these motors last forever...and it does seem like a gamble...i don't know what i would do if i was you...ill let the pro's help you sort it out lol

ls1nova71 03-23-2014 08:09 PM

I don't know what to tell you to do, like you said its a coin toss. I have a 150k mile 4.8 that looks that clean, and a 995k mile 6.0 that was so sludged up I don't think the oil was ever changed. If you go to get another one, pull the oil filler out and look at the rocker you can see, it will tell you if its had regular oil changes at least.

dman1982 03-23-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6590798)
I don't know what to tell you to do, like you said its a coin toss. I have a 150k mile 4.8 that looks that clean, and a 995k mile 6.0 that was so sludged up I don't think the oil was ever changed. If you go to get another one, pull the oil filler out and look at the rocker you can see, it will tell you if its had regular oil changes at least.

mine was slugged up like crazy....about six hours later it was decently clean

desertdogg 03-23-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6590771)
very true desertdog, from what I've seen these motors last forever...and it does seem like a gamble...i don't know what i would do if i was you...ill let the pro's help you sort it out lol

Thanks Dman ! Im following your thread as well hope all goes as planned for you and without any problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6590798)

Seriously ?? 995k ?

Thanks LS1, I am going to wait and see what he comes up with this comming week and go from there. Im thinking 995k above is a typo ?

dman1982 03-23-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogg (Post 6590998)
Thanks Dman ! Im following your thread as well hope all goes as planned for you and without any problems.

Seriously ?? 995k ?

Thanks LS1, I am going to wait and see what he comes up with this comming week and go from there. Im thinking 995k above is a typo ?

Me too...trying to get the fuel system done tomorrow and front clip on

desertdogg 03-23-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6591007)
Me too...trying to get the fuel system done tomorrow and front clip on

Cool bro, post up alot of pics and I will probably be asking you alot of questions when I get to that point lol !

I was just reading your profile and noticed your a seargent In the Marines, Just wanted to thank you for your service !

dman1982 03-23-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogg (Post 6591063)
Cool bro, post up alot of pics and I will probably be asking you alot of questions when I get to that point lol !

I really think I ask more questions than anybody on here..I need to ad more pics to mine

desertdogg 03-23-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6591072)
I really think I ask more questions than anybody on here.

Lol ! I feel the same way, but thats what this place is for... lots of good people on here are always ready to give some good advice

dman1982 03-23-2014 10:50 PM

Ya true, I also wonder sometimes if I ask questions that everyone knows but me lol...that oddness when the questions sit up there forever with no response lol

desertdogg 03-23-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6591084)
Ya true, I also wonder sometimes if I ask questions that everyone knows but me lol...that oddness when the questions sit up there forever with no response lol

Lmao ! I know the feeling, usually if you keep sending back to the top someone usually responds. But I hear ya about the oddness of no one answering sometimes lol I hate that feeling !

BR3W CITY 03-23-2014 11:33 PM

By this forums standards, "forever" is more than 45 minutes lol

If you check the board more than me, then your on here too much ;)

ls1nova71 03-24-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogg (Post 6590998)

Seriously ?? 995k ?

:banghead: Yeah, i meant 95k, should have proof read that post. ::dohh:

desertdogg 03-24-2014 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6591137)
Yeah haha ! that 45 minutes does seem forever sometimes

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6591229)
:banghead: Yeah, i meant 95k, should have proof read that post. ::dohh:

Lol, no worries Ls1, I figured it was something like that. I do that too especially when Im trying to type on my smart phone.

dman1982 03-24-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6591137)

Agreed!

desertdogg 03-25-2014 04:54 PM

Spoke to the guy I got my engine from today, he says their getting a 2008 Chevy Tahoe tomorrow that has the 5.3 and 4l65e with only 38k miles, says it is not a flex fuel... I'm trying to get him to give me that one but he says they normally get $3500 for those... He said he would try and see what he could do... I'm not getting my hopes up.

Someone set the car on fire for the insurance write off... Says no damage to the front end

dman1982 03-25-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogg (Post 6594191)
Spoke to the guy I got my engine from today, he says their getting a 2008 Chevy Tahoe tomorrow that has the 5.3 and 4l65e with only 38k miles, says it is not a flex fuel... I'm trying to get him to give me that one but he says they normally get $3500 for those... He said he would try and see what he could do... I'm not getting my hopes up.

Someone set the car on fire for the insurance write off... Says no damage to the front end

ya my ex wife did something similar...cost me 4500 bucks

desertdogg 03-25-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6594205)
ya my ex wife did something similar...cost me 4500 bucks

That Sucks... Must be why she is your ex-wife

dman1982 03-25-2014 05:09 PM

she was already my ex...or really close...i was on the loan with her...didnt even know she was behind payments....real piece of work...oh man i can't stand her...we may have to move this to my other thread about ranting lol!!!

desertdogg 03-25-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman1982 (Post 6594218)
she was already my ex...or really close...i was on the loan with her...didnt even know she was behind payments....real piece of work...oh man i can't stand her...we may have to move this to my other thread about ranting lol!!!

Wow, that's crazy sorry to hear that but at least now she is the past... Lots of other fish in the sea... But if I end up with that drive train someone hooked me up... Probably won't happen tho

desertdogg 03-25-2014 09:07 PM

does anyone know what the difference is on the 4l65e vs the 4l60e ? He says this motor does not have flex fuel...was that an option ? just trying to get my ducks straight when I talk to him tomorrow

dman1982 03-25-2014 09:36 PM

i would guess misprint.....once again ill let the pros handle it man

ls1nova71 03-25-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogg (Post 6594752)
does anyone know what the difference is on the 4l65e vs the 4l60e ? He says this motor does not have flex fuel...was that an option ? just trying to get my ducks straight when I talk to him tomorrow

The 65 has internal upgrades over the 60, but don't think its all that much. Is it a 2wd? If not, I would pass on it since converting it to 2 wd would require almost a complete tear down.

desertdogg 03-25-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6594990)
The 65 has internal upgrades over the 60, but don't think its all that much. Is it a 2wd? If not, I would pass on it since converting it to 2 wd would require almost a complete tear down.

Thanks Ls1, No he said it was a 2wd...but do you know if after a certain year they all went to flex fuel or was flex fuel an option ?