The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

72c20customcamper 03-29-2021 07:50 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more

Rich72C10 03-30-2021 08:14 PM

Installed a new Delphi 3-line fuel pump, to replace a Carter that ticked very loud. I even did it by myself after learning here on the forums about using a longer bolt to hold the rod in place (little bolt you temporarily take out/replace on the front of the engine above the fuel pump). Which one of the fuel pumps bolt worked perfectly for this!

When my brother and I installed that POS Carter last summer, I had my finger holding that darn rod up while he was stuffing the pump in to get it bolted down! I just remember taking forever to get it back installed LOL

chiefcfd 03-30-2021 09:05 PM

I removed the Edelbrock Carb and fuel pump and lines. Getting ready for FI Tech fuel injection.

3757chevy 03-31-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8901615)
Installed a new Delphi 3-line fuel pump, to replace a Carter that ticked very loud. I even did it by myself after learning here on the forums about using a longer bolt to hold the rod in place (little bolt you temporarily take out/replace on the front of the engine above the fuel pump). Which one of the fuel pumps bolt worked perfectly for this!

When my brother and I installed that POS Carter last summer, I had my finger holding that darn rod up while he was stuffing the pump in to get it bolted down! I just remember taking forever to get it back installed LOL

I use a hacksaw blade to hold the rod up . Saves smashing a knuckle.

Wobpb377 03-31-2021 01:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Throttle cable broke at the pedal. Seems no one has the oem replacement so went with the Lokar throttle cable and Lokar pedal. They recommended to use the kick cable as well but everything worked out and didn’t need the kickdown cable. Pedal response is better, still need to do some minor alignment adjustment but it’s back driveable. Have the matching brake pedal but lost daylight.

67C10Step 03-31-2021 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up some sprayable material.

72c20customcamper 04-01-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8901754)
I use a hacksaw blade to hold the rod up . Saves smashing a knuckle.

I've used popsicle sticks in the past to do this .

Rich72C10 04-01-2021 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8902266)
I've used popsicle sticks in the past to do this .

Well, I like the bolt method for the fuel pump rod - can't see why not to go that route.

Today I found I have a bad light socket in my dash, was the one in between the Tach and the Fuel gauges. Then I spent some time (embarrassed to say how much) trying to figure out why the two below it wouldn't turn on.... then it dawned on me, those are the Brake (and I think) Oil idiot lights. Well, they sure made me feel like a idiot trying to make them work for dash lights. :crazy:

Edit:
And I now have a new license plate light! It actually was working before but it didn't have a lens - I have a feeling it will look better tonight when I check it out.

Chevys4life 04-01-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8902103)
Picked up some sprayable material.

I heard that is some good stuff. I guess it is black......but I will wait to see what it looks like.

pjmoreland 04-02-2021 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I rebuilt my front suspension a couple of months ago when I installed a disc brake conversion kit. I finally got around to getting an alignment job yesterday. I told the tech I wanted the camber to be around the negative limit of the tolerance for better cornering. He took the measurements and the software wanted him to add a shim to the rear mount of the left side to decrease the caster and increase camber. I told him to remove a shim from the front mount instead so that the caster would still be decreased and the camber would be moved toward the negative limit like I wanted, but he was convinced it wouldn't work that way. We went around and around, and then the manager got involved. Finally, they called the in-house alignment expert over and he confirmed what I was saying would work. They did it, and the numbers ended up how I wanted them. I guess that's the way it goes when you're dealing with an old vehicle and want something special done.

The caster is a bit higher than the spec, but it's not an alignment aspect that leads to tire wear. Being higher than spec should make it more stable. At least the two sides are better matched to each other than they were before.

The toe is in spec, although I read in another thread that a smaller toe is more desirable. Hopefully I don't end up with excessive tire wear.

Rich72C10 04-03-2021 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's the very next thing for my truck - I just bought replacement parts from RockAuto.com (Moog) yesterday. Now I need to find a shop that will install these parts and deal with getting the rivotted upper ball joints out too. I even got a CPP sway bar too coming this week!

This morning I waxed the truck too. As I was finishing, wouldn't you know it - it started to sprinkle / rain. Popped her back into the garage real quick and dried her off.

Boog 04-03-2021 10:16 AM

It sure looks nice Rich.

Rich72C10 04-03-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8903131)
It sure looks nice Rich.

Thank you!

After I gave her a quick wash yesterday before having a nice afternoon in downtown Lockhart Tx, I decided she needed a nice waxing. Yesterday was fun having the truck loaded up front with my daughter and her mom (they fought who got stuck in the middle LOL). Everyone goes on about Black's BBQ but we all like Smitty's Market much better. Lockhart is a classic Texas downtown square and it's the county of Caldwell County. The truck looked real nice parked in front of the court house. Hindsight, I should have gotten a photo.

Chevys4life 04-04-2021 09:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a few things done on Saturday. I installed my new air cleaner on the engine that needs cleaning up. I saw that cleaner on a member's truck and he told me where to get one at. This will get me motivated to clean up the rest of that dirty engine compartment. Also, finally got the seat together in one piece with the seat tracks mounted. The seat came out pretty nice and can't wail to have it mounted in the truck one day. I will finally have a seat instead of a milk crate to sit on:c2:

Rich72C10 04-04-2021 02:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey, that cleaner looks familiar!

I cleaned up my engine bay for the hot water cut off, got rid of the one the A/C guy put on and picked up one from O'Riley's (thank Grumpy for the part suggestion).

I also wired up the 3rd brake light. Last summer I switch out all the markers with LEDs and the Cargo has a brake light. It was a lot easier to run the wire to the brake light switch than I thought it would be - it was really a snap to run and connect up.

Already Gone 04-04-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8903666)

I cleaned up my engine bay for the hot water cut off, got rid of the one the A/C guy put on and picked up one from O'Riley's (thank Grumpy for the part suggestion).

I also wired up the 3rd brake light. Last summer I switch out all the markers with LEDs and the Cargo has a brake light. It was a lot easier to run the wire to the brake light switch than I thought it would be - it was really a snap to run and connect up.

I have one of those hot water cut off levers on mine and hate it. I bought a new Valve as was told that tevalve was shot thats why the cut off was put in. Hopefully it works.

Chevys4life 04-04-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

I thought you would recognize it:lol:

Already Gone 04-04-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Which type of A/C Compressor do you have on your truck as doesn't look stock to me ?

Rich72C10 04-04-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8903685)
I thought you would recognize it:lol:

I hope you like it, it would suck if you didn't after I told you where to look for it!

Nice work on your seat, you milk crate comment reminded me of my Dad - he drove around in his Model A in the mid-60s with a milk crate (or so he said) LOL!

Rich72C10 04-04-2021 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8903687)
Which type of A/C Compressor do you have on your truck as doesn't look stock to me ?

Nope, not stock.

I tried to stay with R12 but everything that had to do with the factory air leaked, so I switched to R134a at a A/C shop in Longview, Texas. I am pretty sure it is Vintage Air. I do know they painted it black, per my request. I know the condenser is, I saw that listed as a line item (parallel flow).

Edit: after rerunning the heater lines and installing my new cut-off I used my laser light to catch the temp coming from the outlets. I was a stable low of 33° - granted it was pretty early in the morning and hardly 65° inside the garage.

Edit2: attaching photo of A/C Compressor sticker...

67C10Step 04-05-2021 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Only thing I did over the weekend was hang the tailgate as the last fitment check before it comes apart for scuffing and epoxy primer.

30772 04-05-2021 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on touching up vent window and door components - paint, new rubber, etc.

allchevy58 04-05-2021 11:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Over the weekend we got the frame cleaned and painted.Today, my son got the bed all polished out.

KMC3420 04-06-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8904044)
Only thing I did over the weekend was hang the tailgate as the last fitment check before it comes apart for scuffing and epoxy primer.

Awesome progress. Are you going to do a full repaint or keep some of the original paint, match the bed?

dweikum 04-06-2021 01:17 PM

Changed out my headlight switch and repositioned some of the spade connectors in the plug so lights would work as intended. Also added fresh headlights and adjusters. Much better now!

Update: Just hooked-up a Neutral Safety Switch...really nice to have with the Star Shifter the PO stuck in there...not always easy to tell what gear she's in with this whacky shifter.

Happy_dan 04-06-2021 01:55 PM

Fired it up for the first time with the motor rebuilt. Broke in the cam, changed the oil and topped off coolant and transmission fluid.

pjmoreland 04-06-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8904642)
Fired it up for the first time with the motor rebuilt. Broke in the cam, changed the oil and topped off coolant and transmission fluid.

Well done!

Happy_dan 04-06-2021 02:46 PM

Thanks to all the help from a local friend, my neighbor, Mr Mud1 from here and all the rest of you. I am not sure if you are aware but people like me that love the hobby but lack the years of experience that you all have, spend hours reading your threads, learning, taking advice and then applying it. This was my first engine rebuild and I think it went great because of the suggestions and the help.

dweikum 04-07-2021 01:40 PM

Door Window Glass Channel install...best 5 minute upgrade so far!

dweikum 04-07-2021 04:13 PM

Moved my Janky shifter up from the floor to between the seats where I can reach it when I need it. Not used to drum brakes all around, and all my other cars are stick so, downshifting is my friend.

Chevys4life 04-08-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8904401)
Over the weekend we got the frame cleaned and painted.Today, my son got the bed all polished out.

Everything is looking really good!!!

Zone47 04-08-2021 08:45 PM

Today:

Installed a new master cylinder ... but still no rear brakes.

Made 3 new arches for my bed cover out of small PVC

Fixed the transmission mount ... basically installed a solid mount for the T400.

dweikum 04-08-2021 08:54 PM

Installed seatbelt on the passenger side...now my kids can ride with me. :)

Installed a hidden switch relay to the NSS.

After pressure washing the engine compartment inside and underneath (twice) I found my oil leak...pan gasket. :(

mr.mud1 04-08-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8904672)
Thanks to all the help from a local friend, my neighbor, Mr Mud1 from here and all the rest of you. I am not sure if you are aware but people like me that love the hobby but lack the years of experience that you all have, spend hours reading your threads, learning, taking advice and then applying it. This was my first engine rebuild and I think it went great because of the suggestions and the help.

Hi Dan,great job on the new engine rebuild.i knew you would make out just fine.i could tell by the quality questions you were asking.i was happy to help in some small way.what are friends for?Greg

allchevy58 04-08-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8905567)
Everything is looking really good!!!

Thanks, can't wait to get it back together.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-09-2021 12:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Today was dip and paint divider day. A board member set me up with the dividers years ago. Some guy name Jim;)

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2021 11:16 AM

Yesterday was steering day. Installed a rebuilt steering box and a rebuilt intermediate shaft. While I was at it, I installed a tilt column I rebuilt a while back. What different driving truck!

Boog 04-09-2021 11:50 AM

It should feel like a brand new truck now!
Standard sector or quick ratio?
I remember one time I put in a power steering sector on my buddie's 67 ramp truck. He said he almost ran it up on a corner curb a couple of times on the way home. :0

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8905909)
It should feel like a brand new truck now!
Standard sector or quick ratio?
I remember one time I put in a power steering sector on my buddie's 67 ramp truck. He said he almost ran it up on a corner curb a couple of times on the way home. :0

Standard ratio, the last quick ratio on a lifted truck felt squirrely and twitchy. I moved the column an inch and a half closer to the dash. So, yeah a lot different feeling (nice). :metal:

30772 04-09-2021 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slowly but surely getting my 72 K20 project put together.... Reinstalled glass today (with new rubber)

(Complete restoration - Engine/Drivetrain, Fuel system, Suspension, Steering, Paint/Body, etc, etc, etc.....)