The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

84blaze 07-27-2020 07:02 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Marc, what's the process you're using to acheive the brushed look on your grill? I really like the look and I'm taking notes...

youngrodder 07-27-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8782183)
Oh man....that grill looks sooooooo good...

Thanks I'm digging it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8782388)
Marc, nice job on the grill...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84blaze (Post 8782442)
Marc, what's the process you're using to acheive the brushed look on your grill? I really like the look and I'm taking notes...

Just take a red scotch bright pad. I apply a little penetrating spray to the pad then use elbow grease. The key is to go the same direction with your strokes and keep the even lines. If you don't the grain of the metal will be messed up.I suggest starting on a junk piece first and practice. That's what I did.

Marc

youngrodder 07-27-2020 08:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We the exhaust got pretty much wrapped up this weekend. My fabricator friend had 31 hrs into this exhaust. keep in mind he would haul the pieces back to the shop to cut/fit/weld. All we have left is to add a hanger to the ends. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. It's not quite a full system but longer than a shorty system that ends under the body.

The body will go back on for good In about a week.

Thank you
Marc

oldman3 07-27-2020 08:44 AM

That's looking great, can't wait to see body on (I know you can't either)...Jim

mongocanfly 07-27-2020 08:46 AM

Exhaust looks great..!....I'm ready for the body to go on to...!

8man 07-27-2020 08:48 AM

That's one good looking frame!

youngrodder 07-27-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8782479)
That's looking great, can't wait to see body on (I know you can't either)...Jim

You know it Jim...ha ha. I have done a fair amount of pre-assmebly so I think it will go together swiftly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8782483)
Exhaust looks great..!....I'm ready for the body to go on to...!

Thanks, me too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8782484)
That's one good looking frame!

Thank you, it needs a good detailing before I drop the body back on.

Marc

ajgriffin 07-28-2020 02:41 AM

Coming together real nice Marc!

joedoh 07-28-2020 11:58 PM

beautiful attention to detail

youngrodder 08-06-2020 08:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's where were at. The exhaust is complete and fully bolted in (O2 sensors and all). This Sunday some buddies are coming over to help me drop the body on the chassis for the last time. I still need to detail/clean the frame before Sunday

In an effort to gain more radiator clearance I need about 5/8". Modifications were needed to the radiator and core support to gain some room. I use cooling components fans for a couple reasons. 1. they are a 2 speed fan that move some serious CFM's. 2. They come with a shroud. 3. They are quiet. They are not cheap but on my 48 it solved my overheating issues.

http://coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/p...ucts/cci-1770/

I did a similar modification on my 48 but this time around it was better executed. I notched the flange on the top of the core support to move the radiator forward. I then broke loose the welds and I will realign the mounting flange to be vertical. As you know they have a slant from the factory to lean the radiator back. My fabricator friend Josh will weld it back together. These mods should create the space I need.

While I was looking at things it became apparent that the top of the factory core support was ugly the way the ends terminated. So I trimmed them back some and capped them off...

Now for the bad news. Both my radiator and core support were already painted. Some touch up will be needed here.

Marc

youngrodder 08-06-2020 08:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics....

You can see from the exposed aluminum where the brackets used to be aligned. This is a few pics of the capped core support.

Marc

oldman3 08-06-2020 08:58 AM

Looking good Marc...Jim

84blaze 08-07-2020 06:07 AM

I've never liked how the radiators stick up past the factory shroud on these trucks. Since I'm on a S10 chassis the front frame horns and steering box rerally limit the depth of my radiator and made my Champion 4 core stick up way too much. I've since sold it since it wasnt working for me. I would like to find a rad that can fit within my dimensions and sit below this little sheet metal shroud I have.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7867/4...a5b493ba_k.jpgUntitled by Spencer Wiedeman, on Flickr

youngrodder 08-07-2020 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8787830)
Looking good Marc...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84blaze (Post 8788250)
I've never liked how the radiators stick up past the factory shroud on these trucks. Since I'm on a S10 chassis the front frame horns and steering box rerally limit the depth of my radiator and made my Champion 4 core stick up way too much. I've since sold it since it wasnt working for me. I would like to find a rad that can fit within my dimensions and sit below this little sheet metal shroud I have.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7867/4...a5b493ba_k.jpgUntitled by Spencer Wiedeman, on Flickr

On my 48 I used a G-body front clip which is petty much the same as a S-10. I lost 4" in radiator height because of the steering box. I used a Champion 4 core from a mid 60's mustang. it will still stick up some otherwise your radiator will be so small it wont offer adequate cooling.

The hose outlets even lined up for my LT1 (which I think are the same as an LS). Since you are running a shorter radiator you will need a good "sucker" electric fan (see my recommendation in my previous post) and build a shroud at the bottom of your core support to direct air up into your radiator. Before I did that my 48 always ran hotter than I would have liked.

Thanks

Marc

reaper71 08-08-2020 08:38 AM

Looking great Marc.

I saw your post on "bickle" about your door seals from steele.
Have you looked at Soffseal? really nice products

Mark

youngrodder 08-08-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 8788718)
Looking great Marc.

I saw your post on "bickle" about your door seals from steele.
Have you looked at Soffseal? really nice products

Mark

Thanks Mark...I'm good on door seals. I used universal ones. I did the same on my 48 and they worked great. I need to get front and rear door window seals. ordered. I'm having all of my glass cut locally and it should be done in a week or so....thanks for the suggestion.

Marc

youngrodder 08-10-2020 09:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I hit a major milestone this weekend. I asked a few buddies over to help drop the body back on. A few areas I was worried about as far as clearances go was the following: The coil clearance to the firewall. The shifter clearance coming thru the floor. Everything turned out better than expected. The only exception was the floor by the tranny. I had to cut more of the floor than I wanted/intended. The thing that changed between mock ups was the drive line angle and the height of the tranny mount. I will just come up with a trans tunnel..

Overall I was stoked with the outcome. Keep in mind that these rims are 20's. I plan to run 22's.

Considering that I painted the body panels separate from each other I was pleased how they look next to each other.

Here are a bunch of pics.

8man 08-10-2020 09:37 AM

That is looking great.

youngrodder 08-10-2020 09:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More.....

youngrodder 08-10-2020 09:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More....

For comparison here is a before and after my paint distressing.

oldman3 08-10-2020 10:04 AM

Marc, looks great, nice job on the paint. Onward and upward...Jim

jbjburbs 08-10-2020 10:24 AM

dude.. so sick. Awesome work!

youngrodder 08-10-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8789697)
Marc, looks great, nice job on the paint. Onward and upward...Jim

Thanks for tagging along Jim...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjburbs (Post 8789705)
dude.. so sick. Awesome work!

Thanks man...

mongocanfly 08-10-2020 11:56 AM

now that's what we've been waiting/wanting to see..!!!!...looks great Marc..!!!...

youngrodder 08-10-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8789755)
now that's what we've been waiting/wanting to see..!!!!...looks great Marc..!!!...

Happy to oblige

Marc