The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random Photos ‘You took’ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794025)

special-K 12-28-2020 11:52 AM

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8855402)
OMG, what a bunch of little cuties! I'm sad that my spawn hasn't provided us with some grand children to spoil the heck out of.

I agree, such a great picture. You are fortunate. I have a few grandchildren but none nearby.

1976gmc20 12-28-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8855554)
I agree, such a great picture. You are fortunate. I have a few grandchildren but none nearby.

I wish ours were closer. Haven't seen them since summer of 2019.

It's been a damned rough year in more ways than one :(

dieseldawg142 12-30-2020 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
someone not having a good holiday.....
don't know what happened but it looks like his toy hauler whipped him into a 180. hate to see what kind of mess is inside the hauler-especially if he had any machines in there. pics ain't the best, cops were keeping everyone moving
Attachment 2070598Attachment 2070599

special-K 12-30-2020 09:11 AM

Whew! A 180 with all that trailer took up some real estate. What a wild ride. I would guess the trailer was hauling something and thinking that load was heavy on the tail... without knowing any other details

There are a lot more people using trailers these days than years ago. A hole heap of a lot. And I feel, from what I have seen, many if not most take the task for granted. I see all too often trucks and SUVs hauling trailers like they are not even there, too fast and too careless. I hope no one was hurt

davischevy 12-30-2020 10:58 AM

I would say Tim is right about the toy hauler being loaded on the tail. With those heavy duty truck the problem doesn't exacerbate until it's too late.

1976gmc20 12-30-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8856415)
I would say Tim is right about the toy hauler being loaded on the tail. With those heavy duty truck the problem doesn't exacerbate until it's too late.

Yeah, it used to be that pickups couldn't get a load like that going fast enough to get into too much trouble.

Some friends and I up in Alaska got into a deal to cut some house logs from state land. We loaded them on the trailer that we used to haul the rented dozer up to the timber. The first load we didn't get far enough up on the tongue and it was pretty interesting getting home. About 35mph was all I could do safely. There wasn't that much traffic back then.

The other thing is people try to out-steer a swaying trailer which you can never do. Just have to keep it straight and slow down gradually.

LONGHAIR 12-30-2020 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bullet that I hit in a walnut cabinet door frame. This was almost 2 years ago, early in a huge project that I was part of for a local university.

Killer Bee 12-30-2020 05:39 PM

boolits?? I like boolits :D

640gr m33 penetrators

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mhfoh1q5w4h...ll_sm.JPG?dl=0

lead/copper jackets

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4o70tx254ls...ators.JPG?dl=0

1976gmc20 12-30-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 8856559)
A bullet that I hit in a walnut cabinet door frame. This was almost 2 years ago, early in a huge project that I was part of for a local university.

That's a bulletin board ;)

Steeveedee 12-30-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8856582)
That's a bulletin board ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

special-K 12-30-2020 07:55 PM

Oh, now I get it. Bullet-in-board... bulletin board. huh huh huh :cool:

Killer Bee 12-30-2020 08:27 PM

aahhh, zoomed in - now I see it, hit the bullet with yer dado blade - yikes!

bulletin board - good one :lol:

I can only imagine how many of those would turn up from any lumber harvested from our farm :eek:

Ol Blue K20 12-30-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8856625)
Oh, now I get it. Bullet-in-board... bulletin board. huh huh huh :cool:

Thanks Tim, I was just thinking.....huh?......now I get it....I guess I'm a bit slow tonight.....:lol::lol:

LONGHAIR 12-30-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8856645)
aahhh, zoomed in - now I see it, hit the bullet with yer dado blade - yikes!

bulletin board - good one :lol:

I can only imagine how many of those would turn up from any lumber harvested from our farm :eek:

It was actually with a 1 1/4" diameter router bit in a router table and I never heard/felt a thing. The lead is so soft that it cut right into like like nothing.

Farm wood and even urban wood, like street trees or back yard trees can be full of all kinds of stuff. Nails, screws, staples, etc are very common.
This walnut came from a local supplier up in northern Ohio Amish country. They do at least some of their own milling/drying, but I have no idea how much.
I know they do a lot of barn dismantling and are very careful with cutting out metal bits and debugging too. We have used several truckloads of that over the years.

special-K 12-30-2020 09:04 PM

Yeah, those guys deal with crap-in-wood all the time. We have to mill some chestnut for a guy coming up soon. Metal detectors are great but you still have to get the metal out of the wood. And this stuff has been stored outside uncovered, which messes the readings up.

Steeveedee 12-30-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8856682)
Yeah, those guys deal with crap-in-wood all the time. We have to mill some chestnut for a guy coming up soon. Metal detectors are great but you still have to get the metal out of the wood. And this stuff has been stored outside uncovered, which messes the readings up.

It's probably older growth (which has a tighter grain), and I wish I could get ahold of some chestnut like that at a reasonable price. But by the time some got found, shipping to California would kill any kind of deal. :(

special-K 12-30-2020 09:41 PM

All chestnut is older growth. It's not my milling equipment, but I want to let it dry a good while first

LONGHAIR 12-30-2020 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was my absolute favorite bike until I built the Jones.
It has gone over 5k miles with my 6' 2" 225lb body on it. It commuted rain or shine most days for over 2 years. I bought it used, already a few years old, simply because of it's unique looks. I didn't have the rack and every bit of it was black except the rotors, which were stock. All of the silver parts were upgrades in performance and the big 203mm rotors make a huge difference.
The pic is out in front of the recently demolished and rebuilt Veteran's Memorial here in Columbus.
I really only was looking for something "better" because it is slightly too small for my height, but that's the problem of used and unique. They are just not around. I have never seen another one in person.
The newer versions of this are much more like a mountain bike. Technically, this is too, it uses all mtb parts, but it was not made for trails. The actual intended purpose is as a city bike/commuter. It has done many 50 mile days and I even rode it on an organized road tour of 100 miles in one day. Kind of an art project at this point, but it's a keeper.

special-K 01-02-2021 10:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Nice bike. I've gotten back into bikes lately. I built an early version of what came to be known as the mountain bike from a late-40s balloon tire bike in the late-70s. Schwinn came out with their version and I got one of those. I'm getting both of those in shape for riding. The Schwinn just needed some servicing and the custom-built was 100% original as built. I was torn whether to leave it be or restore. I decided on no restoration but put it into riding condition... cables, tubes, & tires. I want to build more like that from some frames I have, but use more updated components like disc brakes.

When MTBs came about I bought a Raleigh. That was pretty good but possibly the first city bike. Things weren't ironed out in the MTB world yet and Raleigh being the traditional bike company it was, that bike was a "Mountain Tour" model. The bikes for thrashing came about and I got a Mountain Klein (#54). To this day that is my "new" MTB... 37 years old! :lol: I'd like to get a new bike but maybe not. I'm fine with what I have. I would like to change the gearing on my Mt Klein, though.

I built that "Klunker" over 40 years ago. The tires had been rotten for a long time. I got new tires and tubes, went to replace and was amazed at the condition of the tubes. Seeing that, and the Made In USA, I decided to keep running the old tubes and keep the Chinese crap for spares. Those will probably be dry rotted in the boxes when it comes time to need one

1976gmc20 01-02-2021 12:36 PM

I tried riding my bicycle once after we moved out here in the bush, but the washboard road beat me up so bad I haven't been on a bike in almost 18 years. Of course that was just a cheap Murray that I got to ride when we moved to town and I went back to college in the 1990s.

I did bring back my old classic coaster Schwinn from my mom's house before we sold it. It's just sitting out in the storage room with flat tires from the 1960s.

LONGHAIR 01-02-2021 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8857987)
I tried riding my bicycle once after we moved out here in the bush, but the washboard road beat me up so bad I haven't been on a bike in almost 18 years. Of course that was just a cheap Murray that I got to ride when we moved to town and I went back to college in the 1990s.

I did bring back my old classic coaster Schwinn from my mom's house before we sold it. It's just sitting out in the storage room with flat tires from the 1960s.

Get ahold of something with a tire around 2" wide (48mm) and you will be amazed at the difference. Not only does the bigger sidewall help, they run at lower pressure, which helps even more.
I even go a step further and run mine tubeless. That's even better yet because most of what would give you a flat gets sealed.

FirstOwner69 01-02-2021 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of bikes and tire size...
This is my 41 year old son riding his fat tire bike in Michigan's U.P. I think he's a bit nuts.

special-K 01-02-2021 11:41 PM

I never rode a bike with those new huge size tires. But back when I created that klunker (bike with gold rims) I was tickled at how I could ride in the snow. Up to that point it was 10 spd road bikes for adults. The adult size bike with 26 x 2.25s was like riding a bike as a kid all over again

1976gmc20 01-03-2021 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 8858189)
Get ahold of something with a tire around 2" wide (48mm) and you will be amazed at the difference. Not only does the bigger sidewall help, they run at lower pressure, which helps even more.
I even go a step further and run mine tubeless. That's even better yet because most of what would give you a flat gets sealed.

Thanks, but a bike isn't anywhere on my "list" except I couldn't quite get rid of my old Schwinn. I can't think of where or why I would actually ride a bike. I try to hike a couple miles every day and ride my horse when it's not so cold.

Steeveedee 01-03-2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 8858281)
Speaking of bikes and tire size...
This is my 41 year old son riding his fat tire bike in Michigan's U.P. I think he's a bit nuts.

I see people riding bikes with those monster tires, and I just think about how the moment of inertia is going to make it hard to speed up, and get up hills. Slowing down is easy, especially if one has disc brakes.