The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

knomadd 08-31-2017 01:54 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8028124)
...Or just break out the xacto blade and testors glue...

:lol: They are just really big models, right? Looks like some nice parts!

SCOTI 08-31-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8029104)

They sure are. Much heavier & expensive though.....

gringoloco 09-01-2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8029104)

The parts laid out like that remind me of pieces on a PVC tree. Some kids never grow up, we just grow older. If mom and dad only knew what they were getting us into :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8029185)
They sure are. Much heavier & expensive though.....

Don't forget more durable, and useable, and um, yeah... I'm out of good reasons for spending all of this time and money on this old thing... :confused:

gringoloco 09-01-2017 12:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More mild progress as I trimmed the width of the 'rails to fit the notches. Still some more trimming to go before they are ready to drill, but man do they look sweet! ~4 more inches of drop from my already pretty extreme 8" static drop ought to do nicely :D

SCOTI 09-01-2017 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8029532)
The parts laid out like that remind me of pieces on a PVC tree. Some kids never grow up, we just grow older. If mom and dad only knew what they were getting us into :lol:

Don't forget more durable, and useable, and um, yeah... I'm out of good reasons for spending all of this time and money on this old thing... :confused:

Uhmm..... Fun.

mcbassin 09-01-2017 07:37 AM

Looks great Chris! :metal:

smbrouss70 09-01-2017 09:29 AM

I like it!

Since you have the tape measure out, what is the measurement from the top of the notch to the top of the original frame rail?

gringoloco 09-01-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8029556)
Uhmm..... Fun.

Oh, yeah, that!
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8029604)
Looks great Chris! :metal:

Thanks buddy!
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8029673)
I like it!

Since you have the tape measure out, what is the measurement from the top of the notch to the top of the original frame rail?

Should be about 6", I'll verify

gringoloco 09-01-2017 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup, about 6 3/16" right now, which should be closer to 6" once it's all snugged down. This is the 'touring' notch; the 'extreme' is a few inches taller, but I'm not sure by how much.

smbrouss70 09-01-2017 11:15 PM

That would be about perfect for my other truck since I've already raised the bed floor 6.5".

The frame under it turned out not like I wanted it to, so I really want to start over on that one once the Blazer is finished.

gringoloco 09-02-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8030154)
That would be about perfect for my other truck since I've already raised the bed floor 6.5".

The frame under it turned out not like I wanted it to, so I really want to start over on that one once the Blazer is finished.

Would even leave you a little room for air fittings :D How's that Blazer coming along?

smbrouss70 09-02-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8030361)
Would even leave you a little room for air fittings :D How's that Blazer coming along?

There won't be air fittings on the truck when I am done with it. Hell, it may not even have a solid rear axle.;)

The Blazer is fighting me every step of the way. Of course, I'm trying to make sure everything is PERFECT, like you do, so some things I've had to do multiple times before I was happy with it. I have conceded to the fact that I will get the air ride and Accuair done before Cruisin' the Coast, but will have to hold off on getting the rear axle narrowed until this winter. That means no 20" gassers until then.:whine: It'll still look good with the 17" slots for now though.

On another note, I have a Kore3 brake setup F/R for a 2nd gen Camaro (GM TS 14" hybrid front and 10/12 bolt 13" Z51 rear) that is just laying around. You used a GM TS setup from Kore3 and bolted it up directly to a C10 LD spindle correct? If so, I may replace my drop spindles and the Blazer get bigger brakes when the 20's go on this winter.:metal:

gringoloco 09-02-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8030469)
There won't be air fittings on the truck when I am done with it. Hell, it may not even have a solid rear axle.;)

Intrigued! Where is the build thread?
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70
...I'm trying to make sure everything is PERFECT, like you do, so some things I've had to do multiple times before I was happy with it...

No perfection here, just creative photography :lol: I used to strive for perfection, but it's too stressful of a pursuit. I also don't share many of my failures or how long some of these things actually take...
Quote:

On another note, I have a Kore3 brake setup F/R for a 2nd gen Camaro (GM TS 14" hybrid front and 10/12 bolt 13" Z51 rear) that is just laying around. You used a GM TS setup from Kore3 and bolted it up directly to a C10 LD spindle correct? If so, I may replace my drop spindles and the Blazer get bigger brakes when the 20's go on this winter.:metal:

I did use a tall spindle kit, but made for an impala to get the 5x5 pattern. I used LD Belltech 73-87 spindles. Yours sounds like it should work well, but I'd shoot Tobin a quick email to confirm. You'll likely need new brackets for the truck axle out back, but otherwise, I think, good to go.

gringoloco 09-02-2017 09:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Speaking of things that take longer than intended, I got the framerails trimmed for final notch fit, then primed/painted the bare metal and proceeded to drill a BOATLOAD of 7/16" holes to attach the radius notches and bridge. I used an old trick of dropping a 1/4" nut in the holes to center my pilot--worked out great!

Looks like not a lot of progress, but it's all final installed and torqued, and fits like butta. It's time now to remove the offending sections of framerail getting in the way of super-static lowness :metal:

builtbyKane 09-02-2017 09:32 PM

Never thought of doing that while drilling. Excellent.

smbrouss70 09-02-2017 09:46 PM

Those notches look great in there, I love watching your builds come together. You seem way more organized than me. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8030688)
Intrigued! Where is the build thread?

No build thread, I haven't touched it since I got the Blazer, except to move it around the shop. I'm seriously contemplating using a C6 manual trans-axle with one of Dobbertin Performance's cradles when I get back on the truck.

Quote:

No perfection here, just creative photography :lol: I used to strive for perfection, but it's too stressful of a pursuit. I also don't share many of my failures or how long some of these things actually take...

It's amazing how long a simple task takes when you can only spend a couple of hours a night working on it... Oh yeah, my photography skills suck, that's why I haven't been posting on my thread, plus nobody wants to see pictures of me cussing at things that don't fit right or bolts/nuts that strip out! :lol:

Quote:

I did use a tall spindle kit, but made for an impala to get the 5x5 pattern. I used LD Belltech 73-87 spindles. Yours sounds like it should work well, but I'd shoot Tobin a quick email to confirm. You'll likely need new brackets for the truck axle, but otherwise, I think, good to go.

I already have the 5 x 4.75 BC on the Blazer, and I might as well narrow the 8.5" 10-bolt that is in the other truck since it already has a brand new 3.73 Posi setup in it.

gringoloco 09-03-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by builtbyKane (Post 8030695)
Never thought of doing that while drilling. Excellent.

Feel free to use it; pretty sure it's a trick I learned here somewhere. I think when I saw it, they were using it to center punch, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat :chevy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8030698)
Those notches look great in there, I love watching your builds come together. You seem way more organized than me. :lol:

Thanks, they do look awesome! I just clean up before I snap pics ;)
Quote:

I already have the 5 x 4.75 BC on the Blazer, and I might as well narrow the 8.5" 10-bolt that is in the other truck since it already has a brand new 3.73 Posi setup in it.

Solid plan, I think your brake kit will bolt up with no issues if you're using a car axle. I envy your blazer. Immensely.

cooperhw 09-03-2017 10:38 AM

sweet:metal:

gringoloco 09-03-2017 09:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 8030901)
sweet:metal:

Thanks! I'm really liking the quality and ease of installation of these porterbuilt pieces, plus they just look BA!

Took the plunge today and removed a big ol' chunk of framerail :D Time to figure out fuel tank mounting, fuel/brake line plumbing, and hang the axle.

gringoloco 09-04-2017 10:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hung the TAXM, then slung the axle back underneath. She's square and centered at ride height and almost ready to re-meet mother earth.

gringoloco 09-04-2017 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like these two pics at mock-up ride height. The axle now resides where the framerails used to--she's gonna be low :D

smbrouss70 09-04-2017 10:29 PM

Looks good!

I like the fact that you still have the hitch bolted up!:metal:

gringoloco 09-04-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8032010)
Looks good!

I like the fact that you still have the hitch bolted up!:metal:

Thanks, I needed a rear crossmember; the PB tubular is $100--this one is already paid for :lol:. Probably too low to actually tow anything--maybe it will help protect the tank :confused:

knomadd 09-05-2017 10:58 AM

just turn the drop hitch upside down, then it would be a raised hitch... :lol: Looks good though!

Bennett68C10 09-05-2017 11:38 AM

Looks awesome Chris, can't wait to see the ride height when's it's back on the ground.