The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Shawno72's long overdue 68 daily driver build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=559520)

shawno72 01-08-2013 02:04 PM

Re: Shawno72's long overdue 68 daily driver build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNeck (Post 5804185)
Shawno -

Does the popping happen all the time, when under load, at cruising speed or only when you turn corners? The reason I ask is that all the cars (and trucks) that I have owned with positraction clicked when turning. It wasn't really a pop, but more of a metallic click.

Positractions are set up to "free wheel" when cornering to allow the opposite wheel to catch up. If both axles were "locked" it would bind the tires, causing excessive tire wear and put a lot of stress on the internals.

Are you sure it's not a click... only when cornering?

POP

It generally only happens after a 20 minute trip or longer at highway speeds. So once the rear is warmed up I'll come to a stop and when I take off the rear makes a kind of clunk and you can feel it in your seat. Once it does that its fine till I stop and go again. Doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight. It's not a real big deal, just something I've never experienced before.

NoNeck 01-08-2013 03:02 PM

Did you use a matching ring and pinion set, or did you mix them? Did you dial in the clearance on the gears? Just thinking out loud.

Sick5 01-08-2013 03:13 PM

subscribed!!!

cubber 01-08-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNeck (Post 5803739)
Cubber, I got the old van gassed up and will be coming through Unionville to pick you up. :lol:

Pops! Love what you've done to the shaggin waggin! Is that a Porterbuilt kit?

Shawno, I bet changing the oil wil help. The fact that it only misbehaves when you've been at high speeds for a while makes me think something isn't doing right at higher temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

steelhorse 01-08-2013 04:01 PM

Nice truck. What color are you planning on painting it?

shawno72 01-08-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNeck (Post 5804298)
Did you use a matching ring and pinion set, or did you mix them? Did you dial in the clearance on the gears? Just thinking out loud.

It was installed and clearances by Lodi Transmission. I used a matched set of gears and these guys know what they are doing so I assume it's right. Around town I get zero issues, only when I go fast and warm up the fluid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick5 (Post 5804319)
subscribed!!!

Welcome aboard Gilbert.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5804371)
Pops! Love what you've done to the shaggin waggin! Is that a Porterbuilt kit?

Shawno, I bet changing the oil wil help. The fact that it only misbehaves when you've been at high speeds for a while makes me think something isn't doing right at higher temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

I def gonna change the oil this weekend. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelhorse (Post 5804403)
Nice truck. What color are you planning on painting it?

Thank you steelhorse. I plan on going with the original 514 red. Love that color :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

shawno72 01-08-2013 05:22 PM

One more thing to consider is it got more noticable when I installed the stock steelies. I put new tires on the front but the rear is mis-matched tires with different tread and one is more worn than the other. Same size but one is an LT235/75r15 and the other is
P235/75r15. Maybe that plays into the equasion.

NewType72 01-08-2013 05:29 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Could be tires play such a huge role in classic and new vehicles riding in worn tires can certainly effect the ride quality
Posted via Mobile Device

shawno72 01-10-2013 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Been thinking about the white wall. Not really feeling them so I used Microsoft paint to give me an idea of what it would look like. I'm glad I did cause I like the white walls better.......with the wheels painted black :metal:
Attachment 1039005

Attachment 1039006

Rusbuilt 01-10-2013 05:07 PM

I kinda like the white wheels but the black would look good too!

shawno72 01-10-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5808852)
I kinda like the white wheels but the black would look good too!

I know, I am really undecided about which way to go :confused:

Justin36 01-10-2013 08:47 PM

Hey Shawn, I really like it both ways, it's a hard decision! I feel like with the black walls out is more of a "Hot Rod" look in my opinion, and the whites is kind of a old school look. I love them both and think your truck will look good regardless.

Justin
Posted via Mobile Device

lolife99 01-10-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 5808846)
Been thinking about the white wall. Not really feeling them so I used Microsoft paint to give me an idea of what it would look like. I'm glad I did cause I like the white walls better.......with the wheels painted black :metal:

I like the fact that many run (thin) whitewalls on the 67-72 trucks.
(never liked wide whitewalls, because they weren't period correct for these trucks)

But no hot rodder, back in the day, would have been caught dead with a set of whtewalls.
Maybe some Firestone wide ovals or Goodyear polyglas gt tires,... even redlines,... but never whitewalls.

The "retro look" correctness of dogdish hubcaps confuses me most of the time,... but I do like them.
But if I ran them,... it would be with blackwall tires.

Just my opinion.

shawno72 01-10-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin36 (Post 5809241)
Hey Shawn, I really like it both ways, it's a hard decision! I feel like with the black walls out is more of a "Hot Rod" look in my opinion, and the whites is kind of a old school look. I love them both and think your truck will look good regardless.

Justin
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you Justin but you are not helping:lol::lol::lol:

shawno72 01-10-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5809283)
(never liked wide whitewalls, because they weren't period correct for these trucks)

But no hot rodder, back in the day, would have been caught dead with a set of whtewalls.
Maybe some Firestone wide ovals or Goodyear polyglas gt tires,... even redlines,... but never whitewalls.

The "retro look" correctness of dogdish hubcaps confuses me most of the time,... but I do like them.

Just my opinion.

Yeah I still may just run blackwalls like in my avatar. So many choices.......:smoke:

Sick5 01-10-2013 10:03 PM

Black with thin whites
Posted via Mobile Device

shawno72 01-10-2013 11:21 PM

Ok I find myself asking the question who am I and what's my style? I have never been a whitewall kind of guy and while I appreciate the look I just don't know if it's what I want to see on my daily. Now having said that I really like the look of the black wheel with the whitewall. So I am really back and forth on this. Post some more of you guys opinions and why you would do ittht way. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 01-10-2013 11:29 PM

You can do some raised Goodyear letters like Mike Bradbury did on his shop truck those are probably the most badass looking tires I've seen on the board :metal:

NewType72 01-10-2013 11:31 PM

I prefer the color/patina matched wheels nixing the white wall vs the black with whitewalls just suits the truck more

shawno72 01-10-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType72 (Post 5809591)
I prefer the color/patina matched wheels nixing the white wall vs the black with whitewalls just suits the truck more

This is kinda where I am at as well. I just really like the stock look of the wheels with no whitewalls. I think its because that's how the truck was when I bought it and I really like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zoomin 01-11-2013 01:00 AM

I would go white steelies with red-line sidewalls. Period correct, ties in with your patina, and most importantly, adds another option to make the decision tougher.
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 01-11-2013 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Raised White Letter. BFG Radial TA 255/70r15. If you get tired of the letters, you can turn the black out. I really like the way these tires ride, and they're durable, and that's a good size for filling the wheel wells. I like the skinny whites, but they are all fairly narrow, and a truck with altered suspension does better on a wider tire IMHO.

Bennett68C10 01-11-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5809283)

Just my opinion.

I agree with lolife, I like the blackwalls and with the white wheels. I even like the white letters out on the bfgoodrich T/A or similar tire. I have never been a fan of whitewalls.

shawno72 01-11-2013 11:11 AM

I'll post some pics with the new rear tires tomorrow afternoon after I get them installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewType72 01-11-2013 12:35 PM

Fact is oil be driving the truck so it's whatever you can live with cant wait to see the new look they give the truck
Posted via Mobile Device