The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 04-07-2011 09:35 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4605502)
I think it looks great.
Even better when the windows are up,... on a 90 degree day.

Haha- yeah, not sweating will be nice :) Finding a way to correct the aesthetics will give me something more to do after it's 'done'...

67cheby 04-07-2011 10:47 AM

i am dreading the time when it comes to running my ac lines, i am thinking about bringing them forward into the core support , then around inside the top of the fender and into the firewall there so you cant see them but....i havent layed this out so i dont know if it will work or not ??

gringoloco 04-07-2011 07:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4606165)
i am dreading the time when it comes to running my ac lines, i am thinking about bringing them forward into the core support , then around inside the top of the fender and into the firewall there so you cant see them but....i havent layed this out so i dont know if it will work or not ??

This is a viable option for a show truck, and one I like. Smooth and clean is very appealing to me. I was also thinking about using the stock heater box, re-worked as a 'cover' of sorts. I will have to attack this later though, as I am on a bit of a time crunch right now, and have PLENTY of other stuff to keep me occupied...

Also have to plug my local high-pressure line shop, Bearing Supply and Service. Walked in with my A/C lines, set them on the counter, the guy grabbed them, crimped them, and put them back in my hand in less than a minute. Then, when I asked what I owed him, he said "Have a nice day!" :D I know where I'll be going next time I need bearings or fittings. Not Grainger...

FRENCHBLUE72 04-07-2011 07:34 PM

Those are always the best deals and the best places to shop...

gringoloco 04-10-2011 12:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Been collecting a few parts and getting ready for some more progress this coming week, but in the meantime, while the kids were watching the 'Tangled' blu-ray for the second time, I decided to have a little truck time- it's always fun to have truck parts in the kitchen :)

I was ready to toss these sill plates in the round file and buy a new set, but remembered seeing someone else around here use CLR on a set to bring them back to life. I figured, what the heck, what do I have to lose but a little time and elbow energy? I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out- not perfect, but a TON better than before. Besides, if they were perfect, they'd look outta place on this truck...

classicchev 04-10-2011 01:16 AM

Hey!! Glad to see you are back at it again..

Darren

hotrodhomi 04-10-2011 01:21 AM

did you use all three brushes or just stick with the plastic bristle brush?

gringoloco 04-10-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 4611283)
Hey!! Glad to see you are back at it again..

Darren

Thanks! Question is, when are YOU gonna be back at it? Ready to see some progress on the ol' girl ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi (Post 4611294)
did you use all three brushes or just stick with the plastic bristle brush?

I used the plastic to spread the CLR around and the brass to scrub the rust off. I did not use the steel bristled at all. They're from a $1 kit from Harbor Freight. Not pictured, but also used was steel wool and Barkeeper's Friend, though the majority of the rust was off by the time I got to the BKF, so the results were negligible from it.

classicchev 04-10-2011 12:52 PM

Almost there, just a few "business" related things that make me the real money.

Just trying to get rid of a few other projects like the Jimmy, then the crew cab, then all I have is 2..

Darren

gringoloco 04-10-2011 11:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Laid some 'insulation' today. It will be better for sound dampening than anything else, but this truck is getting a rubber mat, so every little bit helps. It also sealed about ten little holes that POs had drilled in the floorpan :) I'm lining the inside of the doors and panels as well to try to get rid of some of the 'tinny' sound and rattles... Should start to see some real progress again tomorrow :chevy:

gringoloco 04-10-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 4611771)
Almost there, just a few "business" related things that make me the real money.

Just trying to get rid of a few other projects like the Jimmy, then the crew cab, then all I have is 2..

Darren

Haha- yeah I can relate. Sometimes other things take priority...

gringoloco 04-11-2011 11:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished wiring the stereo today- this thing has BUMP! Actually sounds pretty good considering the small amount of money invested. Will definitely do for when I get tired of listening to the Maganaflows--that have yet to be installed...

Also managed to get the floormat installed, and covered the seat with the serapes. The boot on the Lokar is a stock manual trans piece. Not sure if I really like the overall look of the interior, but it will do for now. I'm basically done with it except for a few knick-knacks and will be moving on to the bed soon :uhmk:

hotrodhomi 04-11-2011 11:37 PM

seats look great. did you have to use two blankets or did one cover everything?

gringoloco 04-12-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi (Post 4615017)
seats look great. did you have to use two blankets or did one cover everything?

I ended up using two. These are truck-stop blankets, which are a little small compared to the others I had. The x-large blankets off eBay would prolly work with just one, but would end up costing more as they are around $50 plus ship. These were $13 each...

killer71 04-12-2011 09:39 AM

where did you get your rubber floor mat? Quality?

BB72CHEVKT 04-12-2011 10:53 AM

those sill plates came out awesome

BACKYARD88 04-12-2011 05:13 PM

If you don't mind my asking, what Lokar shifter did you use?

gringoloco 04-12-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killer71 (Post 4619801)
where did you get your rubber floor mat? Quality?

I ordered it from the Truck and Car Shop. I'd say it fits ok. The rubber is nice and heavy and smells good :smoke: I'm hoping as it sits in place for a while that it will lose all of the creases from being rolled during shipping- a hot Louisiana summer should do it. I was told by a board vendor that they are all from the same manufacturer, so I'd get it wherever is cheapest...
Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 4619914)
those sill plates came out awesome

Thanks! Look better in pics than in person, but still not bad...
Quote:

Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 (Post 4620468)
If you don't mind my asking, what Lokar shifter did you use?

Certainly! Lokar FMS6700BB. It is a floor mount, 16" lever, black anodized knob for a 700R4. Different options will have different part numbers and they have PLENTY of options on their website. Shop around some before you buy- I got a smokin' deal on mine off Amazon...

gringoloco 04-12-2011 11:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Feels like a small amount of progress today, but progress nonetheless. I managed to wrap up the behind the dash shenanigans, which involved removing a bunch of stuff I already installed to make room for the A/C ducts. It gets very tight in the center section with speakers, stereo, center vent, ash tray, control unit, and all of their associated wiring/brackets- then trying to stuff three different ducts through there. My hands took a beating, but I am happy to say that the interior is 'complete'.

Also got the seat belts back in (which is 'fun' with the bench installed) and removed the old Grant steering wheel (that has bugged me since I got this truck) to install a new Grant steering wheel. I will have to get used to the increased diameter, but it is definitely better than what was in there :chevy:

BACKYARD88 04-13-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4621255)
Certainly! Lokar FMS6700BB. It is a floor mount, 16" lever, black anodized knob for a 700R4. Different options will have different part numbers and they have PLENTY of options on their website. Shop around some before you buy- I got a smokin' deal on mine off Amazon...

Thanks! I've been looking at them trying to find one that looks like a factory manual shifter but was unsure what length etc. I would need. This part number gets me a whole lot closer than I was:D
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 04-13-2011 11:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 (Post 4621381)
Thanks! I've been looking at them trying to find one that looks like a factory manual shifter but was unsure what length etc. I would need. This part number gets me a whole lot closer than I was:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad I could be of assistance :)

Managed to make some more headway today by tearing the bed to pieces so I can get to work on the underside and complete some body work before paint. I started by giving her a much needed bath. Yes, that is mud splattered on the undercarriage. Never. Again. :sumo: Don't get me wrong, this truck will get driven, and used, but never abused in the mud again. What a pain to clean up. I *think* I finally got it all- or at least most of it...

Oh yeah, played with the bed a little after I removed the 'body lift'. 3" body drop anyone? :chevy:

gringoloco 04-14-2011 12:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Next I got busy fixing and modifying my Blazer tank. Two things have been bugging me about it for a while: an inaccurate fuel gauge and a sloooooow fill at the pump. For the gauge issue, I ended up using a stinkin' F*rd part 'cause it was available locally and has to be better than the split barrel float that was NOT floating in there before.

To help remedy the slow fill, I lopped off the tiny filler neck that comes on the poly tank and bolted on a 2" angled unit I got from Tanks, Inc. This also solves the filler neck being hidden behind the bed mount issue :D Also added a 1/2" vent nipple replacing the 3/8 that came on it. Hopefully this thing will fill on full blast at the pump now. Heck, I'd be happy with the first 'click'...

gringoloco 04-14-2011 12:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A few installed pics to show the clearance at the bed mount. This would help clear the bed support even if I didn't have the raised floor...

Also started assembling my exhaust puzzle. I managed to get the head pipes re-angled, welded and mounted (sorry, no pics), and have decided on a mounting path I think will work well with my suspension drop. We'll see, hopefully tomorrow- it gets pretty tight around the axle...

gringoloco 04-14-2011 08:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
...and some more today. Started making that pile of pipes into an exhaust. I began by putting the truck up on stands and burying the axle in the notch- I know if it clears like this, it should have no problem at ride height :)

First I routed the headpipes back to the trailing arm crossmember cutouts. These were just straight pieces, basically. It will get an h-pipe behind the trans, if I can make it fit. Then started the real fun. I used a 2-by to mimic a bed cross-sill and kept the mufflers between it and the trailing arms. in the vice you can see I marked the appropriate position on the truck and then bench welded the over-axle and over-arm tubes...

gringoloco 04-14-2011 08:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is as far as I got today. It is TIGHT around the axle/panhard/frame/shocks/tank area. Managed to squeeze it all in there, though :chevy: I kept the over-axle tubes low enough to clear a bed cross-sill as well. The pipes exit to either side of the tank- I have a few more bends to bring them back to the bumper and need to re-route the rear brake line, that some PO 'fabbed' up. It is just kinda laying there now- I need to weld up some hangers, too...