The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Project 78 High Sierra (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=505748)

JRANGER 05-06-2012 06:09 PM

Re: Project 78 High Sierra

4 Attachment(s)
Well since I cant let things go i went ahead and took the cluster apart again and hit the needles with some Torch Red Scratch Pen/brush paint. I did all the needles on the extra gauges and the speedo since you cant remove it on the actual cluster wrapped in a paper towel....I like the torch red...

Here pics of comparison...The torch red on the extras, and the towel paint

Now hopefully i didnt screw up the needles by removing them all...I tried to put them back in the same place

UPNADM 05-07-2012 02:22 PM

Nice work. Attention to detail...

trout 05-07-2012 03:05 PM

nice love it

JRANGER 05-07-2012 03:34 PM

DAMNIT ALLL!!! Even with the new speedo cable all greased up the speedo still starts floating at 60..ON top of that I have the needles wrong on the volts and oil pressure as it now reads 18v instead of 13 and oil pressure is beyond 60 when i hit the gas...I think the gas gauge is right though.....ugh..

Anyone know how to fix the speedo if its greased with lithium grease? Any other ideas?

JRANGER 05-07-2012 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Still clueless on what to do with the speedo after trolling the forum other then dealing with it.....

Took the lens off and while started adjusted the Volt meter needle and Oil Pressure...So now when i hit the gas it goes just to 60PSI and the Volts stay around 13...

Also replace the temp needle as it had an orange spot....
And installed a blue LED bulb in the wiper switch

Hit the hood with 2 more cans of primer and sanded the whole thing down with 320 grit paper...She is ready for some paint...

Now to wait until payday and go buy the ACE Enamel paint color match to cardinal red...Have to get my paint chip first too though

UPNADM 05-07-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5358806)
Still clueless on what to do with the speedo after trolling the forum other then dealing with it.....

Took the lens off and while started adjusted the Volt meter needle and Oil Pressure...So now when i hit the gas it goes just to 60PSI and the Volts stay around 13...

Also replace the temp needle as it had an orange spot....
And installed a blue LED bulb in the wiper switch

Hit the hood with 2 more cans of primer and sanded the whole thing down with 320 grit paper...She is ready for some paint...

Now to wait until payday and go buy the ACE Enamel paint color match to cardinal red...Have to get my paint chip first too though

Where did you get that steering wheel. Looks nice.

Also is that a special bracket you mounted your radio in?
Posted via Mobile Device

grayharville 05-07-2012 09:21 PM

What's up with the Speedo?
Posted via Mobile Device

JRANGER 05-07-2012 09:59 PM

I got the steering wheel off ebay from spider performance
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1994-GM...e9a8c5&vxp=mtr.

The stereo is mounted on the back half of a metra kit....I decided to set the cd player bracket as far back as it could and use that metal bracket to secure it in place with out the bezel. I screwed it into to the bezel holes to hold it in place and then used self taping screws to give it its own screws to hold it in. Then I removed the bracket screws so the bezel could be screwed back in.... With that in place I cut the bezel to go around the hole cd player and once in place I just pop the ring around it and its in place..

Grayharville....The speedo is jumping once it hits 0 mph....It floats between 60 - 100 mph constantly and i dont know why...I greased the speedo cable which was installed a few month ago brand new and jsut greased last week..So i dont know

JRANGER 05-07-2012 10:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
took some night shots of the dash and then started painting the high sierra badge for the dash pad...Spilled some paint on the insert could remove it so i painted the whole center section...I plan on sanding it down even to give it a black red look since its not a smooth surface...O and the drip was on the last stroke after using the pen... me not thinking about how the stem was covered ERG!!!

motornut 05-08-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5356614)
Well since I cant let things go i went ahead and took the cluster apart again and hit the needles with some Torch Red Scratch Pen/brush paint. I did all the needles on the extra gauges and the speedo since you cant remove it on the actual cluster wrapped in a paper towel....I like the torch red...

Here pics of comparison...The torch red on the extras, and the towel paint

Now hopefully i didnt screw up the needles by removing them all...I tried to put them back in the same place

great details,lights up good
no chance a gauge connection got loose?

JRANGER 05-08-2012 09:34 AM

all the gauges work i just didnt calibrate the needles. Once I took them off while the truck was running and put them where they usually are it started running fine...Only prob now is the speedo jumping even after lubing the cable

grayharville 05-08-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5360078)
all the gauges work i just didnt calibrate the needles. Once I took them off while the truck was running and put them where they usually are it started running fine...Only prob now is the speedo jumping even after lubing the cable

Try hitting it with a hammer :uhmk:

On a real note, I have no idea bud. Might go grab another out of the junkyard
Posted via Mobile Device

JRANGER 05-08-2012 10:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hit the center with red, hit the out side with black..Then edges it with silver and red the high sierra logo in silver and red

Gonna have to redo the black as i tarnished it a little with masking it and got some silver on it too....

JRANGER 05-08-2012 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wrong high sierra...I sanding the black back on to the edges

After I redo the black im thinking about hitting the whole thing with clear

UPNADM 05-08-2012 10:39 PM

That is a job that takes patience.... What's your shipping address and I will send my trim down!

JRANGER 05-08-2012 10:54 PM

LOL!!! Yeah, if it was as nice as it looks in the picture i would do that no problem...But its not.....Have to wait for it to dry and the only reason this was done was because of a paint drip lol

JRANGER 05-10-2012 09:51 AM

The 9-5 is really holding me back...Im day dreaming about the work i want to be doing to the truck right now...Damn it sucks having to work lol

JRANGER 05-12-2012 09:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well with on and off rain all day I wasnt able to do the fender work i wanted to but I was able to work on finishing the dash insert and then worked on the cluster bezel

I got it in my head that changing the tarnished silver to the red would be awesome! Well in theory it was and it look ok but the red didnt go on as well and ended up blotchy in some areas and in general looked like it was just too much! So 4 hours down the drain I took the bezel back out back and hit it with VHT night shades, then re-painted all the trim by hand in red and silver....So I just finished and spent the entire day finishing those 2 piece..On the bright side its almost ready to be installed and im happy with the final results

JRANGER 05-13-2012 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Put the bezel on the dash panel just to see...

Looks better in person for sure...

grayharville 05-13-2012 11:37 AM

Damn dude I like that
Posted via Mobile Device

JRANGER 05-13-2012 12:48 PM

Wish I would of thought it through in the beginning and didnt take all day on it.

Thanks

Dalaigh 05-13-2012 03:18 PM

It looks good, only thing I would do, is put a semi gloss or matte clear on the paint. It'll get rid of the glossy or shiny look, which I personally don't like, shiny interiors can cause the sun to glare and make it hard to see.

But, if thats the look you were going for leave it.

JRANGER 05-13-2012 06:29 PM

yeah if it wasnt vinyl too i would but i dont want to risk it with the vinyl dash pad

butch86 05-13-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5372837)
The 9-5 is really holding me back...Im day dreaming about the work i want to be doing to the truck right now...Damn it sucks having to work lol

Man i would kill to go back to work................... medically retired at 35 sucks. on good days i do believe i could work circles around 2 men my age. on the other hand on my average days and bad days i couldnt make a dent in an idiots work ethic.

i like the work on the bezel and dash mat. i agree that some matte clear would make it look even better ( for my taste)

JRANGER 05-23-2012 09:41 PM

Ok well i bought a can of Aerosol Semi Gloss Black Rust-Oleum Professional Enamel and hit half my old grill with it....I did a quick sand and clean and no primer but im just wanting to get a slight idea what semi gloss will look like..

Other then that Im fighting with the wiring of the door jamb switches trying to figure out why the fuse blows instantly....Going to replace both switches and hope that does the trick..