The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Shifted" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=551258)

72BlckButy 05-30-2013 02:05 PM

Re: Project "Shifted"

Looks good Rob!

Keith... is that an internet picture or some bends you've produced recently?

C10_ustacould 05-30-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6098576)
Great job on the brake lines.

I finally got access to a set of good benders.
I consider these the best.
And it really makes a difference when bending lines.
They are Swagelok brand,.. like these.

It better make a big difference with a price tag over $300! :lol: You have to pay to play right?!

mike14_07 06-06-2013 09:36 PM

hey rob, just found this thread, truck is looking good! glad to see my old frame put to use!

Hart_Rod 06-07-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10Dream'n (Post 6098269)
just awesome, keep up the good work..

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhall (Post 6098561)
Cool tool
Posted via Mobile Device

Simple tool for a simple man, :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6098576)
Great job on the brake lines.

I finally got access to a set of good benders.
I consider these the best.
And it really makes a difference when bending lines.
They are Swagelok brand,.. like these.

Those are sweet, but to complicated for me, ;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 6098590)
Looks good Rob!

Keith... is that an internet picture or some bends you've produced recently?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 6098645)
It better make a big difference with a price tag over $300! :lol: You have to pay to play right?!

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike14_07 (Post 6111315)
hey rob, just found this thread, truck is looking good! glad to see my old frame put to use!

Thanks Mike, I couldn't have done it witout you, :metal:.

Hart_Rod 06-15-2013 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the Holley LS bracket setup! Here are some pictures of the completed bracket setup bolted on.

jasonhall 06-15-2013 10:01 AM

That does look nice !
Posted via Mobile Device

Rusbuilt 06-15-2013 07:51 PM

Thats awesome!

Hart_Rod 06-23-2013 11:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhall (Post 6124472)
That does look nice !
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6125126)
Thats awesome!

Thanks!

I finally got the motor cleaned up and re-installed. I also bolted up the accessory setup from my 68 just to make sure everything would fit correctly....it does.....:metal:. Pics!

C10_ustacould 06-23-2013 11:34 AM

Hey I thought I was going to get to help with that!! :sumo:

Hart_Rod 07-04-2013 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1 step forward and 2 steps back. Got the 2 piece driveshaft, but the motor mounts are to high, arrrggghhhh!!!!

Zoomin 07-04-2013 11:17 AM

Well, crap! How does that happen?!?

How can you lower the motor mounts?

Hart_Rod 07-04-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 6156506)
Well, crap! How does that happen?!?

How can you lower the motor mounts?

I'm not sure, :confused:. I called Nate at PB and he is building me a set of shorter ones next week.

lolife99 07-04-2013 11:36 AM

Normally there is a 2" spacer required under the carrier bearing.
I see you have something under it,... but how much?
Do you think your driveshaft tube diameter is too big?

The first shorter shaft,... is usually just and extension of the trans tailshaft.
(very close to the same angle)

Hart_Rod 07-04-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6156538)
Normally there is a 2" spacer required under the carrier bearing.
I see you have something under it,... but how much?
Do you think your driveshaft tube diameter is too big?

The first shorter shaft,... is usually just and extension of the trans tailshaft.
(very close to the same angle)

Keith - I had the carrier bearing raised about 2.5" and it was still a no go. I talked to Nate and he said the motor was to high... As far as the diameter of the drive shaft, I've asked for pics and advice on doing this for about 3 months but have got very little info, so I went with what I knew. I didn't even think to ask the guy at the driveline shop about the diameter because I hadn't heard it was an issue..... You would think that as many of these extreme setups that are out there, that there would be a write up of the do's and don'ts of measuring and building the driveline for them......:(.

CLTBurban 07-04-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6156549)
Keith - I had the carrier bearing raised about 2.5" and it was still a no go. I talked to Nate and he said the motor was to high... As far as the diameter of the drive shaft, I've asked for pics and advice on doing this for about 3 months but have got very little info, so I went with what I knew. I didn't even think to ask the guy at the driveline shop about the diameter because I hadn't heard it was an issue..... You would think that as many of these extreme setups that are out there, that there would be a write up of the do's and don'ts of measuring and building the driveline for them......:(.

Agreed! I've searched all over the forums and really couldn't find much other than multiple members running into the vibration issues... with no real known solution.

Rusbuilt 07-04-2013 12:43 PM

Rob that sucks you're having all this trouble!

jlaird 07-05-2013 01:18 PM

Rob, could your trans x-member be mounted too high on the frame? It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like it is really high on the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

RRC 07-05-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaird (Post 6158027)
Rob, could your trans x-member be mounted too high on the frame? It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like it is really high on the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks that way to me too....I haven't figured out my driveshaft yet but right now I no my trans x member is lower. I also thought about lowering the engine mounts as well . Time will tell. If Nate thinks engine mounts then I would go that way because you will be able to lower the trans mount to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett68C10 07-05-2013 04:18 PM

Sucks about the driveshaft problem Rob, I'm interested in how you went about measuring for it. Did you go with the 3" for more horsepower potential.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 07-05-2013 04:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLTBurban (Post 6156579)
Agreed! I've searched all over the forums and really couldn't find much other than multiple members running into the vibration issues... with no real known solution.

Driveline angles are very complicated. as I'm sure everyone knows. I just wish there was more information or a how to on this subject. I researched and asked questions before I finally bit they bullet and ordered the shaft. I know Nate will help me figure it out an I plan on doing a thread dedicated to this subject once I'm done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6156635)
Rob that sucks you're having all this trouble!

Such is life, there are way worse problems out there than this, LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaird (Post 6158027)
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRC (Post 6158167)
Looks that way to me too....I haven't figured out my driveshaft yet but right now I no my trans x member is lower. I also thought about lowering the engine mounts as well . Time will tell. If Nate thinks engine mounts then I would go that way because you will be able to lower the trans mount to.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are correct, the transmission mount is to high. But that is were is supposed to be based on a max of 5 degree output shaft angle. The problem with lowering just the transmission mount without also lowering the motor, is the angle that it places the tranny output shaft. It currently is set a 5 degrees (probably the max you want). If I lower the the tranny mount to get the drive shafts at the proper angle, it create an 8-9 degree angle on the transmission output shaft. So the only way to fix that is to lower the motor mounts. Clear as mud?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 6158239)
Sucks about the drives haft problem Rob, I'm interested in how you went about measuring for it. Did you go with the 3" for more horsepower potential.
Posted via Mobile Device

Honestly, I never really thought about the diameter of the drive shaft. I took it to the drive line shop and explained to him what I was doing and told him the motor/tranny combo that it was going to be connected to and this is what he built. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions but the diameter of the shaft was never mention as an issue. If the diameter were smaller, it would allow me to raise the carrier bearing up more, but as it sits, I already have it raised up 2.5-3 inches. I'm not sure I would want to any higher even if I could.

On a better note, the 68 S/C truck is coming together nicely so far....:metal:.

STOCKISH 07-05-2013 05:15 PM

Both trucks are looking killer Rob.

Bennett68C10 07-05-2013 05:22 PM

Rob I am in complete awe of that engine setup in the 68.

floppydoodle 07-05-2013 08:38 PM

Rob here is my setup and your trans x-member is higher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

floppydoodle 07-05-2013 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

floppydoodle 07-05-2013 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted via Mobile Device