The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project 30 years sitting (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=546364)

hgs_notes 03-27-2013 06:24 PM

Re: Project 30 years sitting

Its not easy when you have to remove that much metal to keep things aligned. Looks like you're doing ok though. Keep welding. tack, tack, tack, tack, tack, grind, tack, tack, tack...

Dale99 03-29-2013 08:48 AM

Yep, thats what I'm doing. Also trying to educate the neighbor kid thats been helping. Every time you hit the welder, the lights flicker. We joke about it being a dance club :)

Got a new larger tool box last night. Spent the whole evening getting it, and transferring tools. Still have a few hrs left of that, then put it in place.

Then I got in a slight wreck this morning with the new truck. Will have to spend time fixing it. Will have to make a part to replace some of this plastic crap.

Dale99 04-04-2013 10:15 PM

No pictures, but I have the 1st run of welding done all the way around it. Now it will be a ton of grinding so I can do 2nd run wherever I missed.

This is where I wanted it because I have to move it this weekend to fix a hole in the ceiling and work on the sierra.

Dale99 04-16-2013 10:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Alright, forgot to take pics of my floor. But drivers floor is done, even a light rattle can spray of a paint color I am debating to paint it.

Stereo is in, so I have tunes while driving. Makes it so much nicer.

Picked up an np205 transfer case from a board vendor "American trucks" Also got a passenger fender that needs a cup, and a grill thats better then what I have.

Also made an aluminum skid plate for my sierra since the stock plastic one one got destroyed.

Then this coming weekend I am going to meet up with user "teeitup" for some driveshafts, rear hatch, and few other parts. Then also swing by LMC and get some bumpers and patch panels.

Wasted Income 04-16-2013 11:39 AM

Nice work on the skid plate.

Dale99 04-16-2013 02:19 PM

Thanks. Getting the bottom heli-arced was quite a chore. I ended up just tacking it on the truck, then putting it in the garage and built a wind-shield.

Dale99 04-22-2013 12:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I spent this past weekend gathering parts. Also got my seats back before I left. Fronts look great, rear I am not happy with.

Dale99 04-22-2013 12:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)

hgs_notes 04-24-2013 11:29 PM

Nice pics. Truck is looking good. What's wrong with the rear seat?

Dale99 04-26-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks

Rear seat, I wanted two "humps" like the original design. Not a flat sheet of velour like this. Also the stiff board that came behind the seat is gone, as well one of the seatbelt bolts got lost and replaced with one that is not correct. And it did have the correct one before. One of my ash trays got lost also.

Dale99 04-29-2013 09:09 AM

So this weekend I got my "new" hatch from teeitup installed. My electric pusher fan installed, and my driving lights working. Also while working on this, I had a guy pull up that heard I was looking for a passenger fender. Talked to him for a while and traded some of my extra parts for his repo fender. SCORE!

Cant wait to get my transfer case adapter in, so I can start working on getting a working TC in this.

Dale99 05-06-2013 09:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New transfer case is in. 2 used drive shafts. So now my distributor is not touching my firewall :metal: Plan to adjust timing and take for a test drive tomm.

Dale99 05-08-2013 09:55 AM

So test drive was somewhat interesting.

I have the wrong shifter, so I only had 4low and neutral. So did test drive w/o the trans hump. Everything works, so I need a new shifter.

Front drive shaft needs a new cardan(sp?) joint

Transcase needs more fluid in it.

Was able to set timing now, and engine starts/runs better.

Also fixed a few of my pinhole exhaust leaks.

Dale99 05-14-2013 05:48 PM

New shifter should be in today.
Front cardan joint replaced
fluid in transcase.
Figured out my balancer on engine had spun due to no crank key. Fixed that.

Going to prime my repo passenger fender, bolt it on, then hopefully onto rear skins.

Dale99 05-19-2013 08:45 PM

So today was a day of making IT work. Started out fun n great. Went down some trails made for walking, with it. :lol: Loaded it with some scrap metal, and returned the same trail.

Unloaded it, drove it across town to pick a friend up. Come back and its leaking oil around the new timing cover. Didnt surprise me. Rig it up for now with some silicone so we can go trail riding. Get down the first big hill, idles rough, stumbles n stalls. 30min of random trying and no fire. Friend hikes back to the house to get my other truck. Hook up, snap tow strap in 10 seconds. :metal: Get another strap, turn truck around. Walk it up the hill. Then to get down the hill, we switch leads and let it roll down stopping it with the working truck.

Get home, it starts :crazy:. I am guessing I overheated the icm???

Going in.

coming out.

hgs_notes 05-19-2013 10:37 PM

Vapor lock? Started after cooling down. Something to do with going downhill? Angle of the carb and fuel in the float bowls flooding it? Might be too high a float level. Just guesses.

At least you got it out and had some fun. Mine ain't there yet. Started redoing the exhaust on my C-10 today, so it is OOC for a short while too.

Dale99 05-20-2013 08:19 AM

I had drove down this trail before and made it. So all the carb settings should have been fine.

I think something just heated up and quit. This is the hottest temps I have drove it in(90deg). But if it cant take these, it sure wont take this summer(sometimes it gets 110).

Dale99 05-24-2013 09:22 PM

So after investigating, the radiator cracked right under the upper rad hose. So new 4core is laying in my garage.

Also, my timing cover change is still leaking after 2 fixes. So its back off and noticed this thing has a plastic cam gear. WTF, That is coming OFF!!!

Still cant find an upper rad hose thats preformed.

hgs_notes 05-24-2013 11:17 PM

LMC has the hose.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=117

Timing chain cover leaks suck. I finally got mine down to a slow drip. Crappy design.

Dale99 05-25-2013 04:15 PM

found a hose locally for a 72 elcamino that works. :)

Time to mow. :(

Dale99 05-27-2013 02:17 PM

Alright, back together and running. Also found a vac leak. So new rad, hose, timing chain, and some vac hoses. Readjust the timing. Wow, runs 10x better then it has since I have had this thing.

Replaced the right inner fender from being cut out. Time to wirewheel the floor and see how bad this rust is. I think its all surface.

Dale99 05-27-2013 06:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I guess since I lack picture updates. Here is some of this weekends projects.

Dale99 05-27-2013 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

fear_nothing 05-28-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6015114)
Alright, forgot to take pics of my floor. But drivers floor is done, even a light rattle can spray of a paint color I am debating to paint it.

Stereo is in, so I have tunes while driving. Makes it so much nicer.

Picked up an np205 transfer case from a board vendor "American trucks" Also got a passenger fender that needs a cup, and a grill thats better then what I have.

Also made an aluminum skid plate for my sierra since the stock plastic one one got destroyed.

Then this coming weekend I am going to meet up with user "teeitup" for some driveshafts, rear hatch, and few other parts. Then also swing by LMC and get some bumpers and patch panels.

Sorry if I missed this post.... what can you tell me about your radio? My dash is uncut & I'm still rocking the OEM radio. I've been reluctant to cut the "virgin" dash. ;)

Dale99 05-28-2013 09:43 PM

I got the retro-sound kit. You can get thru lmc, or strait from the mfg. It has 2aux inputs, am/fm, and a usb port to plug in a thumb drive(or maybe even an icrap).
Main thing I like is that you dont cut the dash.
I wish I would have gotten chrome rather then black.
It takes a few seconds to "turn on" and has an annoying banner that goes across the screen.
It is a little loose around the knob holes. I wish it was a little more secure there.

I only have a dash speaker at the moment, so over my exhaust, its fairly hard to hear. I plan to put more speakers later, but I have other fish to fry first. If you want me to do a video of it for you, I can do that.