The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Welders! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=146163)

earl87gta 03-01-2008 12:01 AM

Re: Welders!

Northern tool has there welders on sale now. Here is the one I have I haveent used it yet but for the price and it comes gas ready http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2925_200342925

68c10owner 03-12-2008 10:58 AM

how is this welder? I found a used one local for cheap. will it do body panels ok?

http://www.daytonamig.com/Pturbo130.htm

DURRTY 03-12-2008 11:06 AM

probaly will depends how cheap you found it for. I would go for a miller esab or lincoln at that price though similar models go for about the same or less brand new and have a 3 year warranty on the whole thing not just transformer

. for a couple hundred bucks though it ought to be good to go

Woobie 03-25-2008 05:14 AM

Well, finally broke down after looking on flea Bay, bargain trader, local paper, and local pawn shops and bought a new Lincoln 3200HD. Will look over the instructions tomorrow, set her up and start practicing. Been a number of years since I've done any welding so I'll need to shake off the cobwebs. THEN I can start making repairs on my truck. Looking forward to making some progress!

Later,
Paul

68c10owner 03-25-2008 06:17 AM

The last time I ran a bead was about 9-10 years ago with aLincoln weld pak 100. i did ok with it since it was flux core and no expereince. The other day I did a little welding at work with a Snap on welder and gas and I was surprized how decent my weldes were.

baggedcten 04-01-2008 05:01 AM

what welder would y'all recommend to use on exhaust pipe and mufflers? not something to expensive something that would get the job done and not have any problems. thanks.;)

slug 04-01-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

what welder would y'all recommend to use on exhaust pipe and mufflers? not something to expensive something that would get the job done and not have any problems. thanks.
thi last weekend i used a millermatic 130xp,it is a 110 unit. i tryed to use fluxcore, but it was welding like crap and i ran out of f/c wire, then i switched to solid wire and it welded like 100 times better. i was useing the flux core because it was windy outside, but the solid mig did a good job.

TH53 04-07-2008 06:11 AM

Ive got a 135 lincoln mig, a lincoln AC/DC arc with a poor mans Tig, and a cheap ebay 40 amp plasma. All of them serve their purpose and work great. If any one is looking into starting tig welding and you have a AC/DC arc welder pick up a tig torch and a bottle of argon and start welding, i know it doesn't have the variability of a expensive tig and no foot control or welding aluminum but it will put down some really nice strong beads.

DURRTY 04-08-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobie (Post 2642829)
Well, finally broke down after looking on flea Bay, bargain trader, local paper, and local pawn shops and bought a new Lincoln 3200HD. Will look over the instructions tomorrow, set her up and start practicing. Been a number of years since I've done any welding so I'll need to shake off the cobwebs. THEN I can start making repairs on my truck. Looking forward to making some progress!

Later,
Paul

that should serve you well I have had a SP135 which is the older model of the 3200(i think) for 7 years. Ive run many pounds of flux core and hard wire through it. the thing even fell off the top of an 8 foot ladder once LOL dented the crap out of it but no other damage, I thought it was done for. It hasn't had a problem yet.

TH53 what kind of plasma cutter do you have? I have one loaned to me but I need to have one for cutting sheet metal ?

TH53 04-08-2008 04:38 AM

DURRTY I have a Everlast 40 amp plasma i works good, better than i expected, it was around $400 to my door. One thing is though if you decide to go with a cheap china plasma be sure to buy a big batch of consumables with it becuse you will be laughed at if you try to get them at a welding supply store. :lol:

Ty

hinow41 04-15-2008 04:42 PM

Does anyone know some one in the long island area that could weld some parts on for me?

63sbssbbw 04-24-2008 02:38 AM

Any opinions on a Hobart 140 with gas conversion kit (for doing tin mainly )
as a first welder purchase.
110v ( had 220v but only 2 lightbulbs and 1 plug-in,so i split it a couple of years back for 8 ft florescents and more plug-ins)
I am a novice (wait,,,I mean a virgin) at welding.
Like anything I've been new at, don't want bottom of the line stuff,but don't think (as a beginner)I need top shelf stuff either.
Was also thinking of the one from sears thats mentioned on pg.1 of this thread (but no response)and haven't seen any mention of the 140 ,any feedback would be awesome.
would like to get one this week before the other half decides it should be spent on something more important (LOL like there's anyting more important right now).I already got stalled out last year for that.
I plan on practicing alot before I even touch my truck.
Appreciate it, Thanks, Trent

DURRTY 04-24-2008 10:02 PM

That one will work well for "tin" ( body work? right) its the same or real real similar to the miller and Lincoln 135-140 welders we have talked about.

one thing though, if your breakers are stretched out with allot draw on them the welder will blow the breaker or at least not run to consistent. try to get the welder on its own breaker and a 20amp if possible. other wise turn off as much as you can on the circuit you are plugging the welder into. It will still run decent if you cant just a FYI. I am no electrician, I am speaking from experience, and many trips to the breaker box. Once I got my garage wired properly the welder ran much better and didn't blow the breaker(20amp) again. also if you have to use and extension cord use the biggest gauge wire you can. I also have my 220 on its own 50 amp fuse.

b&a72 04-25-2008 01:15 AM

I bought a Hobart Handler 140 and put gas on it and it works great. I have done all my welding on my truck with it. Works great on sheet metal and welds up to 1/4 which works for me because nothing on my truck is 1/4 anyways. I also did my c-notch and it worked like a charm.

spr85gmc 04-25-2008 01:37 AM

i have about 800 dolars to spend help me choose a welder

hinow41 04-25-2008 02:01 AM

What is a good Mig welder that Is not to much cash? I want something to learn with and not spend a ton of money on.

DURRTY 04-25-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinow41 (Post 2692759)
What is a good Mig welder that Is not to much cash? I want something to learn with and not spend a ton of money on.

go back through this thread your question should be answered

63sbssbbw 04-25-2008 12:04 PM

Thanks DURRTY,the durability of my fuse box has kind of been in the back of my mind since the start.If I have to have it upgraded then I will.
I'm positive now that the HH140 is the one for me.
spr85GMC, My budget also is 800.00 I'm pretty sure I can get all my basic stuff for that much,the bottle I'll need might put it a little over that,but i haven't shopped for the cost on one yet
Thanks guys.
Trent

b&a72 04-25-2008 06:17 PM

With my Hobart Handler I was welding for under $800 including the tank,gas, and wire. I bought mine from Northern Tool and came with a cart and free shipping.

spr85gmc 04-25-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b&a72 (Post 2693636)
With my Hobart Handler I was welding for under $800 including the tank,gas, and wire. I bought mine from Northern Tool and came with a cart and free shipping.

i know right now i wouldnt trust my self on welding in a c notch but would this one work good to do that? its not going to receive daily use maybe once a week if that.

hinow41 04-27-2008 10:54 PM

will this welder work for what i need to do? i need to weld on rockers and quarter panales
Amazon.com: Northern Industrial MIG 125 Wire Feed... Amazon.com: Northern Industrial MIG 125 Wire Feed...

b&a72 04-28-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spr85gmc (Post 2694029)
i know right now i wouldnt trust my self on welding in a c notch but would this one work good to do that? its not going to receive daily use maybe once a week if that.

Yes it will work I used it on mine. Did all my body work and my c-notch with it.

Billla 05-06-2008 03:41 PM

I just popped for a Miller Millermatic 140 with Autoset. I considered the 180, but it just seemed like more than I would need and I liked the idea of being able to use the thing on house current even though I have a 220 outlet in my garage.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...c_140_autoset/

$649 at the local Central Welding Supply - "blowout" pricing :)

I bought a spool of non-gas wire just to see if I can still weld :) I'll go back and pick up the cart and bottle next weekend.

Slonaker 05-13-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spr85gmc (Post 2692727)
i have about 800 dolars to spend help me choose a welder

Hobart Handler 187 will do anything you need on your truck. You could get a HH 140 if you want to go with a 120 volt machine, but I wouldn't use it for any heavy stuff like frame work.

Slonaker (not an expert on welders, but learning :) )

Jtrux 05-17-2008 07:50 PM

BOUGHT ME A WELDER!!!!!

Picked up a Miller 175 in very good shape from a fellow board member and coworker. Need to get the right outlet in the garage and make me an extension cord so I can drag it out onto the driveway.