The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=205030)

entourageguy 11-05-2006 08:47 AM

Re: Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache

Are they ever really finished???:confused:
Truck looks really good!!!

Brian..:cool:

texascowboy593 11-05-2006 08:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok I got the ol girl home last night and was busy with other things around town. Just finished with pulling her out in the driveway and cleaning the glass. There was some paint from the PO on the windshield and my wife used steel wool (Very fine grade) and it came right off! It also worked on the back glass on sap-like stuff on the inside. There are old scratches in the glass still but MAN what a difference! I can see now!

The 4" peep mirrors I bought didn't fit on the top of the door as I hoped they would so I put them in the radius at the front of the doors. I can use the driver-side one just fine but the pass. side is not as functional. I have tommorrow off so I hope to get the front bumper cleaned up and installed along with final install on the gas filler. I still need to line up the hood as well as repaint the headlight bezels (they got over-sprayed:o ) Later, J:metal:

texascowboy593 11-05-2006 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More...:)

72CSTC5 11-05-2006 08:29 PM

Dang James I didnt know your truck was already painted, the way you made it sound Saturday that it was in pieces. Looks good!!!

entourageguy 11-05-2006 08:43 PM

Love how it turned out!!! With that big back window you will have a great view. Another 4 lighter..........
Brian ...:cool:

texascowboy593 11-05-2006 08:44 PM

Thx 72 Iv'e been a busy bee so to speak!

BTW, Thx so much for all the help Saturday. Those parts are perfect for the task at hand. Looks like I have a front end to tear down next weekend! Dana and I really appreciate your generous offer! If we see each other at a Houston area show, I have to buy you a beer or two!!!:metal: :metal:

55ChevyPU 11-05-2006 10:29 PM

yea the peep mirrors mounted on the top dont fit for me unless I adjust the door to be really low and I wont do that. Truck looks good.

texascowboy593 11-07-2006 09:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple of progress pics. I put the headlight bezels, bumper, parking lights and taillights on. None of the lights are wired yet... I also installed the Billet Specialties wire looms on the valve covers. Thats all for now! J;)

55ChevyPU 11-07-2006 10:45 PM

thats an amazing hood prop, you should sooo use that at shows.

pgf545 11-07-2006 11:16 PM

Looking good Cowboy...maybe sometime soon we will see it at a show here in Houston.

Hey 55 That prop is pretty cool but you would have to compete with about 10 other trucks with the same prop...so you have better have your shovel really clean or they knock off points.

Bernie

CAL 58 GMC 11-08-2006 02:35 AM

Looking GREAT Cowboy! You have made some great progress in such a short time. Keep up the good work as you finish up.

texascowboy593 11-08-2006 02:42 AM

Thx for the comments guys...If I get the shovel chromed I may have a better chance of winning:lol:

texascowboy593 11-18-2006 07:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got a couple of things done today. I put the filler hose together with the filler on the fender and I put the new hood springs on but it looks like the hinges need to be replaced:whine: . Couple pics of a trick I learned from another website: Use a floor jack to stretch the spring then put stuff in the spaces to hold its length til you put the spring on. Pretty easy!:metal: (no more shovel to hold the hood up!!!)

Jebb1978 11-24-2006 07:06 AM

Looking good buddy!

entourageguy 11-24-2006 07:57 AM

Great place to store the wrenches too!!
Brian ...:cool:

irongun324 11-28-2006 02:13 PM

Ok.. that is a neat little trick for the hood springs... is this a common trick? I'm kind of a troll and I generally just read threads and look at the pics, but this is neato.

texascowboy593 11-28-2006 03:04 PM

I found the spring trick on stovebolt.com. I hadn't heard of doing such a thing til I researched the "best way to put hood springs on" My only problem now is that I have to take them off because I need new hood hinges!!!:banghead:

watahyahknow 11-28-2006 06:38 PM

i've seen the put-hardware-in-the-spring trick before in an old issue of hot rod magazine but hadnt seen the stretch-with-jackthing before .
they propped the hood stuffed the hardwhare in the springs and closed the hood slightly to make the springs fall out

texascowboy593 12-12-2006 09:28 AM

Progress Report: Not much going on. Work's slow and Christmas is upon us. No cash-ola to pour into the monster... But I did get the exterior door handles on, wire up the gauge panel and put a half-a$$ exhaust extension on (just so it will pass inspection!). That is not how the exhaust will remain. I plan on new headers and a Flowmaster set-up. I do have some video of it running with the new "high performance" exhaust extensions. I think it actually sounds decent! Click HERE. See you down the road! J;)

Sweet&LowPro55 12-12-2006 10:04 AM

First...Nice project car !Second ,in my opinion ,House of kolor paint (expensive )is hard to beat .I have that on my '55 and I love it .A good wax job & it has such depth to it.Just brings out the color& shines like He_l !!!!

texascowboy593 12-12-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet&LowPro55 (Post 1941108)
First...Nice project car !Second ,in my opinion ,House of kolor paint (expensive )is hard to beat .I have that on my '55 and I love it .A good wax job & it has such depth to it.Just brings out the color& shines like He_l !!!!

Thx lowpro! As to HOK Paint, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll use on my next project...someday...:rolleyes:

texascowboy593 01-12-2007 08:02 PM

Exciting News!!!

NOT!
I haven't done much but crank up the old girl every week and let her run a few mins...Work has been at a standstill and I have no play money because of it. I had to give up a run to Kansas City because there will be a solid sheet of ice between Dallas and KC this weekend. So much for that money!:drama:

Anyway, I will be busy pulling the intake due to finding 3-4 different coolant leaks where it was apparently not installed correctly before I bought it!:censored: Once I re-do that I will either hook up the electric choke or get a manual cable (just like the ability to manually control it:crazy: ).

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out tommorrow! Later, James;)

Sam59 01-13-2007 02:43 PM

I got manual choke :cool:..yours is coming along good!

and yes oklahoma is officially a popsicle!

CAL 58 GMC 01-13-2007 03:39 PM

Cool video clips Tex!

texascowboy593 02-02-2007 03:41 AM

Not much to report... The re-sealing of the intake went well although the water neck is now leaking (damn chrome POS!). I guess I'll head to the parts house tommorrow for a good old cast-iron one! I have another goofy vid of me revving my truck a bit. Its HERE. I screwed my back up opening the hood on my 71 Saturday so I've been off work all week and I'm going stir crazy!!!:drama: Hope to be back at work Monday and making money so I can make some REAL progress on the truck to report... Later, J:cool: