The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

Alvin 02-02-2008 03:09 AM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

Jason, great job on the doors! It's kind of funny because I was wanting to run blazer doors on my truck as a "custom" touch, like the cars without door pillars. Glad they worked out for you.

I think the black magic blasting media is made up of coal slag mostly.

71jimee 02-04-2008 04:51 PM

Hello people...extreme newbie here...new to truck and the website. I just wanted to thank all of you for the information I have gotten from this thread. Really good job Big J.

5150 02-04-2008 11:47 PM

Welcome 71jimee, where are you from in TN???

sorry to hijack J

Big J 02-05-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71jimee (Post 2561714)
Hello people...extreme newbie here...new to truck and the website. I just wanted to thank all of you for the information I have gotten from this thread. Really good job Big J.

Thanks for the props... Welcome to the greatest site on the web.... If these trucks are what your into, lol.....

Big J 02-05-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 2561873)
Welcome 71jimee, where are you from in TN???

sorry to hijack J

no prob.... Love the new avatar, McLovin was the greatest part of that movie:lol: For those that haven't seen it, its "Superbad". Its pretty funny, McLovin is great....

71jimee 02-05-2008 11:18 AM

Hello again.....Clarksville Tn is home. I got the jimmy late november. First and last Ebay auto. I believe it would only be tires if not for bondo...LOL. I will be cutting on it very soon. some interesting things welded under it.

Big J 02-05-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71jimee (Post 2562815)
Hello again.....Clarksville Tn is home. I got the jimmy late november. First and last Ebay auto. I believe it would only be tires if not for bondo...LOL. I will be cutting on it very soon. some interesting things welded under it.

Go ahead and start a thread, we all love pics..... Show us the good and the bad, lol..... So how bad is the bondo?

71jimee 02-05-2008 12:33 PM

I will start one soon, I need to finish a couple of smaller projs before I start. It appears to have been used as a snow plow in Maryland....there are no rocker boxes left. I'll know how bad when I hit it with a blaster.

Big J 02-09-2008 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a few minutes last night to work on the Blazer. Got some metal cleaned up and the big hole in the rocker box welded up. Hopefully tonight I'll have the time to get back over and Por15 it so I can start working with the patch panels tomorrow..... Maybe I'll get the passengers floor done this weekend :sumo:

Big J 02-10-2008 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Por15ed!!!!! I got it on me again.... I'm missing some skin from the repeated scrubbing but I got it off:lol: I think I need to clean my camera lense....

Big J 02-11-2008 05:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I didn't have much time to work on my Blazer today. I helped a good buddy put a remote start system on his wifes late model Accord.... OMG it took all day. We got it figured out, even though the directions were crap. I did manage to get a patch cut out and the outer floor fitted.

vtblazer 02-11-2008 08:53 PM

Nice.

Have any pics a that lower 'a' pillar area?

Big J 02-12-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2572297)
Nice.

Have any pics a that lower 'a' pillar area?

Take a look at post #121. If thats not what you need let me know from what angle your wanting to see and I'll snap a few for ya.

jaros44sr 02-12-2008 01:33 AM

Nice work Big J. I could be wrong, but I just thought I'd mention it to save you problems. Putting that forward cab support in may give you a problem. I think it will have to go in on the diagonal(making it longer) and catch the head of the bolt on the "A" post, but maybe not. I just remember mine was a tight fit. Hope it all works out, because you are doing some really nice work to your truck, keep going and keep up the great pics

Don't forget, Chevyman is watching and needs your pics. for referance LOL

Chevyman63 02-12-2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2572553)
Nice work Big J. I could be wrong, but I just thought I'd mention it to save you problems. Putting that forward cab support in may give you a problem. I think it will have to go in on the diagonal(making it longer) and catch the head of the bolt on the "A" post, but maybe not. I just remember mine was a tight fit. Hope it all works out, because you are doing some really nice work to your truck, keep going and keep up the great pics

You know it Dude. ;)

And thanks for the great pics Big J. Nice work!

Big J 02-12-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2572553)

Its just mocked up at the moment. It'll come apart and go back together 3-20 more times, :lol: I still have more fitting to do, its not quite the way I want it yet. I put that in around 3 this morning half asleep, lol. I'll take more pics as I take it apart and piece it together.

Big J 02-14-2008 10:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This side ended up being a pain in the rear. I finally got it together though. Still some grinding to do along with the big hole in the middle:lol: I don't know if anyone has heard of them but I found some metal made by a company called Tabco, right here in the USA!!! It was heavier gauge too. Seemed to fit just as well as the other side, not sure where it was made. I know it wasn't here. Bought it at a place in Louisville called Harbison Gathright. If I get to sneak in a few hours on it I'll knock out the rest of it this week.

Chevyman63 02-14-2008 10:46 AM

Looking good Big J. :metal:

jaros44sr 02-15-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2576821)
Looking good Big J. :metal:

:agree:

pound41 02-16-2008 12:09 PM

http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/html/t...f_contents.htm

I got my 1st blazer front floor pan Patch from Jerry Brown out Tenn in the mid 90's while at carlisle. Thats how long they have been making the parts that I know of. Still in business in Ohio I recently got a front floor pan from them for my other blazer. Hope the link works. Nice work on the Floors!

Big J 02-18-2008 10:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments fellas. Did some work on it the last couple days. In between working on my little sunfire and a friends dakota. Dropped 2 gas tanks and replace the fuel pumps in both..... fun fun.... My buddy Josh came over today and did some cuttin' for me while I helped neighbor on his S10 project, gettin' it ready for a repaint. Here are some pics of the holes in the bed I've gotta cut patches for (Thanks for the bed piece Jim). I did manage to get the patch cut for the hole in the front floor. Tomorrow should be a real good progress day...... Hopefully:lol:....

jaros44sr 02-18-2008 06:23 PM

Nice progress, you sure are ambitious. Sorry I overcharged on shipping, I made $4.00 profit on that deal:lol: Glad, I could help. Looks like you have enough matrl., if that's all the holes your filling

Big J 02-19-2008 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2583755)
Nice progress, you sure are ambitious. Sorry I overcharged on shipping, I made $4.00 profit on that deal:lol: Glad, I could help. Looks like you have enough matrl., if that's all the holes your filling

Brother I'm just thankful you had the material to spare, its greatly appreciated. I had the chance to get some for free awhile back but wasn't thinkin' about the inside bed floor and missed out, oh well its all good.....

I didn't get to spend the day workin' on the Blazer, instead I helped install one of those B & W flip over goose neck balls in the back of my uncles truck. It took awhile being that the inside of the bed was bowed down, lol.... Had to bend all that up to slip the rails in.... After that I had to take some pics of my cousins truck to put on Craigslist. Neat little truck its a straight axle YO lifted up on 35's. Then go over to my inlaws for a dinner. So after all that I got home and went back over to the garage.... I managed to get the front floor fitted and tacked in. Then I started cutting and plottin' on bed floor patches. I just cut the worst out for now and if I have any left I'll cut out the not so bad and replace it too..... One pic is pretty cool, Saluke decided to inspect my work, I gave him a cheesy cracker so it passed...:lol:

Yukon Jack 02-20-2008 05:32 AM

Keeps looking better and better each time I visit this post!

Big J 02-20-2008 10:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack (Post 2586069)
Keeps looking better and better each time I visit this post!

Hopefully it keeps going that direction:lol:...... Thanks for the compliment.

I got some more done tonight. I got all the patches cut and fitted for the holes we cut. I have enough material left for a couple spots I'm debating on cutting. Maybe Wensday and Thursday I'll get to do some welding.....