The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Shop truck build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622194)

Whamo 06-19-2018 08:10 PM

Re: Shop truck build

Quote:

Originally Posted by naphtali5725 (Post 8283592)
the dash looks awesome!!

Thank you Brother!

Whamo 06-20-2018 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Soooo...I am using this summer as a shakedown to see how far I wanna go this winter, and it's looking like I may tear it down to the frame and replace bunches of stuff...

There are some things that you can't do your self and that sucks. In this case it is the alignment.
The 1st shop I went to didn't tighten things up properly and after a day of normal driving I lost a bunch of shims...
The second shop returned it with a broken control arm stud...yeah, they were that sloppy...
3rd shop got her dialed in quite well, but suggested I get some aftermarket, tubular control arms that are set up for lowered springs and spindles...did some research and it appears that lots of fellers have come to this same conclusion...

Not gonna do much more on her for a bit (saving up the $$ for winter tear down) but I am gonna go ahead and replace the body mounts (replace may not be the correct word since they have virtually disappeared) with energy suspension ones.

Did get me a center console thingy from cupholders plus and been playin with some Laminx film on the headlights...not sure if I love or hate the yellow...

Gregski 06-20-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whamo (Post 8081142)
Soooo...Gregski inspired me to do something with my cracked up dash...not exactly sure what direction I'ma gonna go but before I do anything...it had to be stripped.

3 hours, several cuts and some sore muscles later, I had a trash bag full of foam, plastic and crud...

Don't listen to that guy, lol

rusty76 06-21-2018 06:27 PM

I just spent some time going back through your build. Cool truck.

Whamo 06-21-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8286177)
I just spent some time going back through your build. Cool truck.

Thank you Sir!!

Dads79GMC 06-21-2018 10:58 PM

Looking awesome!! Mike

truckfan 06-22-2018 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lurking:ww::ww:

Whamo 06-24-2018 07:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got me some new Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers...They is nice! However, I failed to notice that they didn't include hardware so I ordered a complete set from LMC. The dang china stamped retainers cost more than the Energy Suspension stuff...and neither company sent me a Go-Fast sticker!! I feel this is a cheap business practice...just sayin...

Whamo 06-24-2018 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not gonna tackle these till I can get some time on my buddy's lift...I really don't think they look all that bad...I mean, there's some rubber left in there...Look to the upper right...See?! There's a speck of it...that should be plenty...

Whamo 06-24-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dads79GMC (Post 8286374)
Looking awesome!! Mike

Thank you Sir!

rkn463 07-04-2018 09:25 AM

I just came across this last night. Cool truck! I never thought of stripping the dash pad down to the metal and using it like that. Interesting concept, I may "borrow" that idea. :metal:

-Richard

Whamo 07-04-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkn463 (Post 8294081)
I just came across this last night. Cool truck! I never thought of stripping the dash pad down to the metal and using it like that. Interesting concept, I may "borrow" that idea. :metal:

-Richard

Thank you Sir! I am following your Big Boy Build and you are quite talented...anxious to see what you do with the dash idea!

Whamo 07-20-2018 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"so we put on a little George Jones and just sang along..."

Whamo 08-06-2018 02:23 PM

Car show a’happenin...

https://youtu.be/t3SaWRZj2lk

Whamo 09-29-2018 05:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Life has been carayzee and I’ve barely even driven the ole girl...I did find time to redo this old tack box and make a proper truck box though...

Whamo 09-30-2018 08:00 AM

We had our 1st Annual Camp Camby car show yesterday and it was quite a success...However...The C10 turnout was dismal and there were sooooo many Mustangs that it looked like a parking lot for National Cheerleading finals...ugh

Here is a promo video we did for the show...watch till the end and you will witness my mad skills on the autocross...just sayin

https://youtu.be/ZyVt5HsCy6I

daddyjeep 10-01-2018 01:40 PM

The box turned out good.

Cheerleader finals... good stuff right there.

Did you get your pinstriping done?

Palf70Step 10-01-2018 09:18 PM

:agree: Glad your show worked out well.

Dads79GMC 10-19-2018 01:49 AM

I like it! Great job!!

Whamo 11-04-2018 12:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Since the snow (and with it salt) will be flying soon, it is the right time to deal with an issue that I've been ignoring for quite a long time....the possibility that my frame might be diamondedededed (I think I spelled that right).

The ole girl tracks down the road straight as an arrow but there are some things that suggest there might be an issue...the driver's side of the bed droops and the bumpers are cockeyed in the opposite directions (front and rear) - insert "I had a girlfriend like that once" joke here...

There is also this really strange bend in the lower lip of the frame right behind the trans cross member at the beginning of the gas tank...it's weird because the lip bends down...last couple pics

She's going to an old school body shop tomorrow to go on the frame rack and see what's what...

MTCK 11-04-2018 04:23 PM

Truck is looking good. I’m curious to see the outcome of your frame investigation.

Rich84 11-05-2018 12:46 PM

Believe it or not that bend is supposed to be there. I freaked out when I saw it too. They put it there to make room for the catalytic converter.

Whamo 11-05-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8378205)
Believe it or not that bend is supposed to be there. I freaked out when I saw it too. They put it there to make room for the catalytic converter.

I wondered bout that!! Thank you!

There is still something going on with it...the droop in the back of the bed is quite annoying (bumpers too)...

Frame shop pushed me back to tomorrow...lots that Im getting ready to do to her but I wanna make sure the square is square before I move forward

Whamo 11-07-2018 10:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Kinda like admitting you've got a serious crush on Lady Gaga...your Outlaw Country buddies ain't gonna like it...but ya just don't care!

scored this '98 5.7 mess for $150...Gonna do some HotRod Garage mods on it and drop her in...Of course this means I have opened the floodgates...and in the wise words of Asia, " you told me something wrong, I know I listen to long but then One thing leads to another....

Whamo 11-09-2018 04:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yes, yes...I know, I know...it ain't no LS...even if I had the Cha-Ching for that sorta thing, I'm not sure I'd go there...I'm a pretty ole school kinda fella...I mean, up until last week I thought that a hashtag was a fancy phrase for skid marks in yer drawers...

anyway...when I tore down the Valtrex 5.7 I was quite pleased with how cleanish everything was...since I only paid $150 for it I fully expected to find disaster with every turn of the bolt...I didn't!!

Gonna cut down the valve guides and address the push-in studs myself...what could possibly go wrong...