The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=699646)

SCOTI 02-24-2017 11:17 AM

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Ttt . . ......

robnolimit 02-24-2017 01:18 PM

the single shear mounting was done for a couple of reasons. 1. we wanted the bearing centerline to be on the motion line. 2. Ease of installation. It takes about 80,000 lb load to shear a 5/8" grade 8 bolt. With the support sleeve the rate goes up. So, with an average of 750 lbs per side, it would take a 10G hit to hurt the bolt. Honestly, if you somehow create a 10G load impact while driving a C10, you have a LOT bigger problems that any suspension mount.
As to mounting angle, at ride height it is close to 15*. this lessens the spring and shock rate by appx 7%. So, a 250 lb spring becomes 232.5 lb/in. Hmm, x 3 1/2" of static compression = 813 lbs load rate. Compared with 650 lbs of sprung weight per side, x 125% ratio on the trailing arm = 812.5 lbs static load. That's how we do it. Math baby!

SCOTI 02-27-2017 10:59 AM

Thank you sir.

legends 02-28-2017 03:13 PM

Rob, I recently purchased this kit as well as your C-Notch KIT. First let me say they are very nice pieces! I'm having one issue, Basically my truck was a leaf spring frame. What reference points should I use for the C-Notch and shock mounts? The leaf spring frame does not have the bump stop rivets or some of the other rivets you list to use as reference points. I'm thinking if you can give me a measurement from the rear of the frame rail to the center of the shock mount, or the axle tube center line to the center of the shock mount that would be enough to get me started.

SCOTI 02-28-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legends (Post 7872600)
Rob, I recently purchased this kit as well as your C-Notch KIT. First let me say they are very nice pieces! I'm having one issue, Basically my truck was a leaf spring frame. What reference points should I use for the C-Notch and shock mounts? The leaf spring frame does not have the bump stop rivets or some of the other rivets you list to use as reference points. I'm thinking if you can give me a measurement from the rear of the frame rail to the center of the shock mount, or the axle tube center line to the center of the shock mount that would be enough to get me started.

I wondered about this. I had a swb leaf frame & a coil frame in my possession once upon a time & couldn't remember the bump stops being the same for both. Reference numbers from the frame rail ends & the other way (from the T/A x-member) should help w/accuracy.

crakarjax 02-28-2017 05:10 PM

Aren't there alignment holes in all frames from the factory? If so those could be used. For the notches though, I think it might be best to just see where your axle hits the frame and use that point as a reference.

chevy72blu 03-02-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legends (Post 7872600)

Interested in this as well. I read through the whole thread and I'm surprised to see no other mention of using this kit to convert from leafs to trailing arms.

Obviously the spring perches will need to be cut off and re-welded, but I have a dumb question... Does my GM 12 bolt rear need to be trailing arm specific (ie: Panhard bar mount)? I believe the rear is out of a 73-87. Truck is a 72 with a shortened frame (SWB conversion) which will no doubt make things interesting :lol:.

SCOTI 03-02-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy72blu (Post 7874383)
Interested in this as well. I read through the whole thread and I'm surprised to see no other mention of using this kit to convert from leafs to trailing arms.

Obviously the spring perches will need to be cut off and re-welded, but I have a dumb question... Does my GM 12 bolt rear need to be trailing arm specific (ie: Panhard bar mount)? I believe the rear is out of a 73-87. Truck is a 72 with a shortened frame (SWB conversion) which will no doubt make things interesting :lol:.

OE set-ups have short bars w/the PHB mount on the housing. The better 'long' aftermarket set-ups like this one move the mount to the Pass side truck arm @ the back.

legends 03-02-2017 04:32 PM

Just a quick update, Rob provided me with several drawings which provided all the necessary measurements I need to install the C-notch and Trailing arm kit. I hope to continue the installation this weekend.

chevy72blu 03-03-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 7874472)
OE set-ups have short bars w/the PHB mount on the housing. The better 'long' aftermarket set-ups like this one move the mount to the Pass side truck arm @ the back.

Thanks. It seems like now the decision is between this setup and going 4 link... Really only looking for good ride quality, decent hole shot (though my truck is no longer primarily about going fast in a straight line), and to lower it another 2" or so (total of about 4" of drop).

What would you suggest? Im shying away from the OE style trailing arms (ECE) due to the panhard bar issue. The driverside leaf shackles are bound and only articulate about 1". I'm even considering just replacing bushings, etc and adding some drop shackles and caltracs.

I have access to a full metal shop though I wouldnt trust my own welds on the dragstrip :lol:.. could tack things in place and have a guy with a cert finish up for me.

SCOTI 03-03-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy72blu (Post 7875143)
Thanks. It seems like now the decision is between this setup and going 4 link... Really only looking for good ride quality, decent hole shot (though my truck is no longer primarily about going fast in a straight line), and to lower it another 2" or so (total of about 4" of drop).

What would you suggest? Im shying away from the OE style trailing arms (ECE) due to the panhard bar issue. The driverside leaf shackles are bound and only articulate about 1". I'm even considering just replacing bushings, etc and adding some drop shackles and caltracs.

I have access to a full metal shop though I wouldnt trust my own welds on the dragstrip :lol:.. could tack things in place and have a guy with a cert finish up for me.

If you're swapping from leafs to one of these 2 choices (4-bar or T/A), it's a wash if using an aftermarket kit (since they're within a couple hundred bucks of each other). If you're trying to get a better ride on a leaf spring suspended 63-72 & have a small budget, a used T/A set-up can be done fairly cheaply & provide very good results.

legends 03-04-2017 03:55 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of the No Limit C notch in place with the No limit coil over shock mount in place. Wondering how close the front of the notch plate is to the shock mount?

meenaggie 03-10-2017 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are pretty close on both sides but installed without issue.

aboyer 03-18-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboyer (Post 7840969)
Hey SMKN TA95,

Would you be willing to post where you had these made or information about them. I will we willing to buy two of these for my future build.

I think there are a few people that would be interested in these. Let us know if there are any specs or information out there for these bushings/spacers.

luckeeD0g 05-23-2017 08:46 PM

So, what is the load carrying capacity of the coil-overs? I'd like to still carry stuff in my truck. Maybe a couple of dirt bikes, engines and/or transmissions for other project vehicles. Can I carry up to 1000 lbs using the complete No Limit trailing arm system with coil-overs?

robnolimit 05-24-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckeeD0g (Post 7950351)
So, what is the load carrying capacity of the coil-overs? I'd like to still carry stuff in my truck. Maybe a couple of dirt bikes, engines and/or transmissions for other project vehicles. Can I carry up to 1000 lbs using the complete No Limit trailing arm system with coil-overs?

Well, it depends a lot on the spring rate. We like the 250 lb springs for the best ride and handling. With these, you have about 3 to 3 1/2" of compression available at R.H., so you could carry 1000 lbs (500 on each spring) and that would compress the suspension another 2", leaving you 1 1/2" of compression left. - this would be 'outside' of our comfort zone. If you went to a 350 spring, it would ride a little firmer, and only compress about 1.4" from R.H. with 100 lbs.

OR, you could use a 7000 series Shockwave and add air ride, and use the air pressure to vary the spring rate to match the load.

Cbo 08-14-2017 07:57 PM

Any updates on install with aftermarket crossmembers? Also, I'm having a bit of trouble with my install. (I'll post pics when I get them tomm morning)

Everything seems pretty straight forward, but after bolting in my new trailing arms mounts, I can't my trailing arms sandwiched in between the tabs to bolt them in.it almost looks like theyre a quarter inch or so too wide to fit...

meenaggie 08-15-2017 09:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I will give you my experience and what I did . . . as well as some options I considered. First, my truck is a 1968 Chevy C10 SWB. The previous owner had lowered the truck and installed a ECE (Early Classic Enterprises) trailing arm cross member. I replaced the front and rear suspension with a No Limit Wide Ride IFS and trailing arm setup. At the same time I installed the No Limit rear notch kit.

I think you already understand but allow me to go into the details for others who may read this post. The No Limit trailing arm setup is designed to use the stock trailing arm cross member. The stock trailing arm cross member has angled sections where the trailing attaches that create the angle between the front and rear mounting points. This means the brackets provided by No Limit for the front mount of the trailing arms are STRAIGHT. Most of the aftermarket trailing arm cross members are completely straight across and create the angle in the front mount bracket itself. Meaning the aftermarket brackets are angled and not straight. This becomes an issue as the heavy duty front joint of the No Limit trailing arms is slightly narrower in width and uses a smaller diameter through bolt than stock. Hence you cannot simply bolt the bracket provided by No Limit to your ECE cross member. Nor can you simply bolt the No Limit trailing arm front joint to the ECE bracket.

To solve this issue and retain the ECE cross member I decided to have some bushings machined to account for the differences. (I did not have a stock cross member available and did not want to go source one as I planned on running the exhaust through the cross member.) I have attached several pictures showing how they install and dimensions. I used oiled bronze for the bushing as I was able to start with some flanged bushing from Lowe’s rather than a piece of bar stock. I had a friend do me a favor to get the machining done and do not have personal access to a lathe. So unfortunately I cannot make these for other folks.

If you don’t want to go that route here are some other solutions I considered.

1. Source an OEM trailing cross member and replace the ECE cross member I already had installed. The No Limit brackets will bolt right on (after you remove a bunch of rivets.)

2. Make new brackets the same width and hole size as No Limit but with the angle needed. Basically this is creating a hybrid of the ECE and No Limit bracket. You need some mild fabrication skills including access to a welder and drill (or drill press).

3. Weld the No Limit brackets at an angle to the ECE cross member. You will need to make a wedge and spacer on one side to make this work.
I hope that info helps.

meenaggie 08-15-2017 09:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics showing dimensions of bushings

meenaggie 08-15-2017 09:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And a couple more pics just because . . .

meenaggie 08-15-2017 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And an example of the stock cross member and ECE cross member so you can get a better understanding of the difference in the way the angle for the trailing arms is created.

Cbo 08-15-2017 11:03 AM

See that o ly part of my problem.i have a stock crossmembers with No Limits brackets bolted in. The new trailing arms from No Limit appears to be too wide to fit in between the bracket in order to be bolted in.

I'm looking at spreading the bracket with a hydraulic spreader,bit I'd like to avoid that if possible.

drfloyd 08-15-2017 03:37 PM

So, No Limit brackets are too narrow for their arms?

Cbo 08-15-2017 03:40 PM

Yes,exactly.

moregrip 08-15-2017 05:16 PM

excellent solution! do you expect those bushings will be a wear item?

meenaggie 08-15-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moregrip (Post 8017204)
excellent solution! do you expect those bushings will be a wear item?

Thanks for the compliment. I had them made from oil-impregnated bronze in an effort to make them "self-lubricating". I also put some synthetic grease on them during assembly for good measure and to help hold them in place. I am not expecting them to be a wear item based on the truck's limited use (i.e. not a daily driver), but I will keep on eye on them when I go to grease the trailing arm end joint.

meenaggie 08-15-2017 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbo (Post 8017157)
Yes,exactly.

So I measured the brackets from No Limit I have and they are 2-5/8" (plus or minus 25 thousandths) wide from inside edge to inside edge.

robnolimit 08-16-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbo (Post 8017157)
Yes,exactly.

Please give me a call with dimensions. If we sent you incorrect brackets we will send new ones. 865-940-1503

Cbo 08-17-2017 09:55 AM

Hey @robnolimit it was no big deal. I had a friend with a porto-power help me spread them the 1/16 or 1/8 inch I needed to get them in. I appreciate it though!

tigerchevelle 09-15-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnolimit (Post 7587235)
Update. Cory brought his truck out to Cruisin the Smokies for two days of Auto-X fun, and we did a little tuning. The truck showed us very quickly that without the ability to tune the front shocks, the trucks performance wall came up pretty quick. We could have 1) increased neg. camber, 2) added more positive caster, 3) added some toe-out, but we were trying to keep it in very street friendly trim. Also, we were having too much fun to get real serious. The truck handled great, and drives smoother and more predictable than ever. Cory did finish 2nd in the truck class - first was a supercharged Trail Blazer SS - hard to beat the ABS and traction control. With some driving under his belt now, Cory is eyeing a WideRide IFS to replace the current set up. If you are interested in the Hotchkis TVS components and brakes, it is now for sale.

What wheel and tire size and backspace on this truck? I love the look and want that setup for my 70

Cbo 10-28-2017 06:15 AM

@robnolimit

So, the rest of the kit went on fine,and looks great. I went ahead and ordered your C-notch kit so that will be the next step for me,as I installed 2inch blocks with the kit,just like you guys did on your shop Truck. One more question though.

Did you guys have to add a shim or use angled lowering blocks? I'm really not digging the driveshaft angle coming from the rear...

Cbo 11-13-2017 11:00 AM

@robnolimit nothing on using angled shims?

NoLimitCody 07-27-2018 01:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello guys,

We've updated some of our instructions for some of our kits to make all of our products more understandable and user friendly.

In addition to the Trailing Arm Kit we also offer the 63-72 Panhard Bar kit and 63-72 Shock Relocation Kit separately to fit the original trailing arms and frame. For those interested here they are, they will also be available on the website shortly.

Attachment 1805596

Attachment 1805597

Attachment 1805598

Attachment 1805599

Attachment 1805600

NoLimitCody 07-27-2018 01:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
continued...
Attachment 1805601

Attachment 1805602

Attachment 1805603

Attachment 1805604

Attachment 1805605

NoLimitCody 07-27-2018 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Continued again....
Attachment 1805606

SierraMtns 07-31-2018 12:32 AM

NoLimitCody,

I feel special you guys used my pictures in your instructions. lol

71GreenJunk 08-24-2018 10:25 PM

17 5/16" measurement from rear of frame on the No Limit shock relocation kit looks like it's for a short bed. Anyone know the measurement for a longbed? Unfortunately my '71 seems to be one of the few without the 5/8" hole punched from the factory. And the given measurement puts it way too far back.
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 08-25-2018 09:44 PM

Long beds are 20” longer, 12” in front of wheels, 8” behind. Based on that, 25 5/16” should put you where you need to be

71GreenJunk 08-26-2018 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8330294)
Long beds are 20” longer, 12” in front of wheels, 8” behind. Based on that, 25 5/16” should put you where you need to be

Thanks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rickjz 10-20-2018 12:51 PM

The thread that never dies!!! I installed the trailing arm kit on my 71 Blazer. What do you do about the coil over spring being loose when you jack up the vehicle?