The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800746)

Richard 04-07-2022 02:32 AM

Re: Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

1 Attachment(s)
Removed core support yesterday and welded up all the holes that were made through the years. Worked at body shop again today. Took it with me to complete the repairs. A lot to do so I did not get to it. Going in again tomorrow. My tubing should show up Friday so I can finish the shock hoops next week. Took a pic without the core support in for a friend. Attached it. Never tire of looking at that motor.

Detroit steel 04-07-2022 07:59 AM

Re: Restomod "good memories"

thats an awsome truck and i can tell by your knowledge its going to be a beautiful truck when its finished , i will be following this build . good luck and let the good times roll.

A.Delaney 04-07-2022 10:25 PM

This is an inspiring build to say the least. I love it. Maybe I missed it somewhere but who makes the custom Dana 60 front end?

Richard 04-08-2022 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroit steel (Post 9062901)
thats an awsome truck and i can tell by your knowledge its going to be a beautiful truck when its finished , i will be following this build . good luck and let the good times roll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Delaney (Post 9063366)
This is an inspiring build to say the least. I love it. Maybe I missed it somewhere but who makes the custom Dana 60 front end?

Thank you both for the posts. Will continue building the truck I would have done 25 years ago + the added upgrades technology provides. I am having a good time doing this. I surprise myself and most that have come by all the time with what I have done. Just takes time and dedication to get things done. Another thing I learned from my Dad.

The axle is from East Coast Gear. Was significantly less expensive than Currie or DynaTrac who both did not seem to want my money. Think they just want to build Jeep axles.
Bult to my specs- passenger drop, stock width, high steer and high pinion. A little disappointed pinion is not turned up as much as wanted for my CV joint on front drive shaft. They built with 12 degrees of separation (from knuckle to pinion) and I wanted about 16. Called and the owner was willing to take axle back on his dime. Did not want the hassle. May have some vibration at high speed in 4wd. Honestly, it will not be used much in that situation. I will cut and turn the knuckles if it is a problem.

Busy day at body shop again. Lots of stuff to do. Really love the gift of working there.
Today presented a challenge on an electrical part in a door. All repaired and working as it was my own. Did manage to get core support almost ready for paint. Always learning, Brad is still sharing his knowledge and wisdom with me. The best way I learn, invaluable. Will bring core support home tomorrow.

mr.mud1 04-08-2022 08:49 AM

more great work Richard,it's looking real good.take care.Greg

Richard 04-09-2022 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9063482)
more great work Richard,it's looking real good.take care.Greg

Thank you. Core support came home today with me. Ready for install. Some pics later. When I arrived home sitting on the door step was my tube and the locker for the rear axle. Have been ordering some necessary parts again, will be a while until I get to this but I am so unsure about availability that I am trying to keep on top of things. The rear 5.13 gears and master install kit should be here next week along with the new 1410 yokes and flanges for t-case and diff. Had to get parts from two different places. Pic of a box, tube is less interesting than the box.

Richard 04-19-2022 03:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked all last week and probably most of this one. Enjoying the work. Getting the 56 F100 at the shop back together after months. Hope to finish up on Wednesday. Seeing a project come together after putting work into it is very satisfying for me. A 98 Chevy truck is also keeping me busy stripping paint to bare metal for a complete repaint. Typical Chevy clear coat fail wherever the sun hits it.

Not a lot to see on the 72. Put the cleaned up core support on the truck because it was the best place to store it. Not perfect but looks pretty good! Still need to make modifications for fresh air intake. Want to wait for that. Also shot some paint on the PSC steering box, did not care for the silver color. Masked off the caps that will not rust for a little contrast. Farming out some work this week since I am working again. Will drop off parts tomorrow. A simple pic to see.

Richard 04-26-2022 02:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My Radiator fan and shroud showed up today. It is an 850 watt 19" pwm fan and shroud assembly made to fit 64-67 Chevelle's. Their Square body assembly was to far off. Purchased through Summit from Vintage Air. Checked the fit. It is low profile but still spaces fan away from rad for better airflow. Fit was as expected and I started the modifications today. Nothing like the thrill of chopping up a brand new part, more fun making stuff work.
The motor and fan are branded Spal. FWIU the 850w motor and 19" fan are OEM parts. To be sold aftermarket they have to be application specific. Motor and fan not available separately.
Fan should move some air! 100a fuse for the power. Should only be running at 30% or less most of the time.
Plan A is to control fan from ECU. Think I have it figured out. Have a plan B if it does not work out.
Hope to mostly finish up with mods tomorrow.

Richard 04-26-2022 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I modified the mounting plate that goes in-between shroud and radiator for a cleaner air path and to make a complete seal to radiator. Moved the upper bar up about 1/2" and also opened up the top/bottom bulges as they did not need to be closed up as much as they were. About 1/2" was removed from the side vertical pieces. More free area will allow more airflow.

Original plan was to move both top and bottom bars and cut shroud. Decided the amount of work vs gain would not be worth it. Plus, getting the patched shroud to look as nice as it is now would be pretty difficult.

An interesting thing I noticed today when reassembling the fan. The fan blades have a reverse sweep. Meaning the outer forward swept edge of fan points into the direction of rotation not away like a traditional blade. Have seen this used on high end A/C units installed in the past. The design is supposed to reduce air noise generated by the fan.

Richard 04-28-2022 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Was able to get the left hand hoop brace fabbed and fitted today as well as the landing point on frame for right hand side. Should get RH fabbed up tomorrow and both braces tacked. Then I can start on the brace over engine.

Richard 04-29-2022 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the fan mounted to radiator. Plenty of room for intake tube, rad hose and airflow. Even with the Gilmer drive in front of engine. Like the simplicity of a single fan and the pwm drive. Worked out nice.
The right side hoop brace is also fabbed up and fitted. Still have not tacked up as I am still figuring out things for shock mount tabs and hoop over engine brace. It may be a bit before next update so here is a couple of pics.

Richard 05-11-2022 02:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Discovered the crossbar tube sent with the ORD kit is too short to accomplish what I want to do. Had to order more. Shipping has become totally ridiculous. Found a local supplier that delivered with total cost 1/3rd of all the online places. Prefer local anyway. Will pick up my tube at the body shop tomorrow.

The intake tube and filter arrived. I did some cutting and trimming for an initial mockup. Tube will be welded where it is taped together. An air box will occupy the area in front of left fender well. Will draw air from behind the grill. Think it looks good!

KC does not have any interest in what I do, just chillin on the porch.

Richard 05-13-2022 01:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A bit more done today. Upper shock mounts are sorted, tacked and finalized. Will bridge the shock mount tabs to the center down tube when hoops are removed and fully welded. Crossbar next week.

Ol Blue K20 05-13-2022 09:37 AM

Nice work, but, the cat made me laugh!

Richard 05-14-2022 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9078604)
Nice work, but, the cat made me laugh!

Thanks for the comment! KC is a character, she makes me laugh as well. Originally a stray that came by to eat as long as 7 years ago. I am a sucker for strays. About 3 years ago she adopted us and became part of the family. Still an outside cat but is content sleeping and staying out of the weather in my "man cave" now.

Forgot to say- pretty happy that Brian @ American Off Road was willing to bend up my tubes for the strut brace today on the spot. While my HF bender works his hydraulic bender just make awesome bends. Brian's input for my project has been very helpful. His enthusiasm to be involved in the project is an awesome motivator. He is the one that pushed me to go with the coilover modification. Hoping to get on the brace tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

72 tigger 05-14-2022 06:16 AM

More great work- very professional looking. Enjoy following along

Richard 05-15-2022 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9078878)
More great work- very professional looking. Enjoy following along

Thank you the supportive comment. Hit 104 today so I decided to spend time with my wife and Mother in law. Excited to finish things up on the front suspension now that I have the parts. Will get on it Monday regardless of circumstances.

mr.mud1 05-15-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 9079195)
Thank you the supportive comment. Hit 104 today so I decided to spend time with my wife and Mother in law. Excited to finish things up on the front suspension now that I have the parts. Will get on it Monday regardless of circumstances.

great work Richard,i'm following along.an awesome truck your building.all the best.Greg.

Richard 05-17-2022 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9079235)
great work Richard,i'm following along.an awesome truck your building.all the best.Greg.

Thank you again. Cannot wait to see your truck back from paint!

Thought I might document the making of the strut brace more than I have other parts. Had two pieces of pipe bent up with 65 degree bends at both ends. The angle was determined with a digital sliding T-bevel. Cut the bends off with pipe to spare. Final cut length is trial fit for me. 1.5" tube just fits inside of the 1 3/4" tube. Pieces of the smaller 1.5" tube are cut to sleeve inside of larger tube. Holes are drilled in outside tube for plug welds to add strength. The butt joints are beveled and will be welded. Once I get this together there is still plenty of cutting and fitting to get it in place.

Richard 05-17-2022 11:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Brace is put together and cleaned up. Some trimming was done for an initial fit. The cope or notch is done with my 4.5" grinder using cutoff, grinding and flap wheels. Due to the center downbar on the hoops I do not have room to use the tube disconnects on the brace. Thought I may run into this so I purchased some mounting plates a while back. Will see soon what I am doing with them.

Hatzman 05-22-2022 05:21 AM

Awesome work and progress on this truck! Mine is taking much longer and isn't as spiffy as yours. That color blue really pops, great choice!

Where did you order the air intake tube from?

Following!

Richard 05-23-2022 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatzman (Post 9082186)
Awesome work and progress on this truck! Mine is taking much longer and isn't as spiffy as yours. That color blue really pops, great choice!

Where did you order the air intake tube from?

Following!

Thank you for the kudos and taking the time to comment! Checked out your thread and subscribed. Looks like you are making good progress.
Forgot to answer your question- the intake tube pieces were obtained through Summit and are made by Spectre. The filter is a non oil type unit I obtained on Ebay.

Richard 05-30-2022 02:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Heard the old saying "you know you are getting old when your back goes out more than you do?" My lower back was toast for a while. Back not really a problem in the past. Got out of bed one day and could barely move. All good now.
Worked at body shop at end of week and was able to get to the Dapper headlights that arrived fitted. They are the V2's with the larger 64mm projector. Got the classic style lenses and inner halo on them, also got HID bulbs and ballasts. Maybe not appeal to some but will be great for nighttime driving. Stock headlights are like holding a match in front of a pie tin. The sealed beam upgrades are not much better IMO.
Purchased a pair of reproduction buckets to modify in case it did not work out. New lights now fit fine in the buckets and stock radiator support. Cut off back off buckets and reshaped to allow headlight to fit.
Included some pics to show what I did. Took some time for the cutting and stretching of metal on the buckets.

NDM 06-02-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 8929967)
Received the new oil pan. Good price and great service from Summit again! Free shipping and got it in less than two days. Supposed to receive 7 boxes full of front suspension components tomorrow, will see as UPS has been somewhat unreliable lately.
As you can see motor is set in place! Moved crossmember forward for first fit. Have plenty of room to slide it back 1". Headers fit well. Very minor clearancing on frame rails was needed. Passenger side header would need reworking if I was using the leafs as it barely interferes with the shackle.
Had to throw the engine cover on to see what it looks like in truck. Passenger pic shows clearance to firewall. I was thinking I would need to modify firewall due to others saying my headers hit.
For those that are interested. Last pic shows PacFab crossmember clearance to diff at stock ride height with stock springs. Think it sits about 1/2" higher due to the aluminum block though. Guessing stock springs have sagged bit. For me this issue has no bearing at all. Easy to see why they recommend a 2" lift. Lowering bump stops would be necessary as well.
Test fit the new master and adjustable proportioning valve as well. Blew something out in my knee today and it is as big as my thigh. May be a few days before I get the trans mount done start the trans mods.

May I ask which oil pan and headers that you used in the photos (part numbers from summit). I am planning my 72 LS swap with a l96 and 2wd 6l90e. My other swapped vehicle (76 Buick Regal) had major fitment issues for the headers, It looks like yours are perfect fit.

57taskforce 06-02-2022 06:34 PM

Looking awesome Richard! This truck is gonna be real cool when it’s done! Nice fab work.

Richard 06-03-2022 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9086377)
May I ask which oil pan and headers that you used in the photos (part numbers from summit). I am planning my 72 LS swap with a l96 and 2wd 6l90e. My other swapped vehicle (76 Buick Regal) had major fitment issues for the headers, It looks like yours are perfect fit.

The oil pan- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593 as previously mentioned, some complained that oil pan depth is excessive.
Headers- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-323y-c looks like headers have almost gone up $200 since I purchased.

Richard 06-03-2022 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 9086494)
Looking awesome Richard! This truck is gonna be real cool when it’s done! Nice fab work.

Thank you! Truly enjoying the build and hope others are as well.

NDM 06-04-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 9086617)
The oil pan- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593 as previously mentioned, some complained that oil pan depth is excessive.
Headers- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-323y-c looks like headers have almost gone up $200 since I purchased.

Sweet thank you. Those Tri y headers look nice! I may stick with the Holley LS swap oil pan that I put in my Regal though. It worked out very well for my last swap.

I am still torn as to whether I want to keep my 4x4 though. The L96 and 6l90e swap is quite simple and I wont have to wait for any adapters or machine my NP205.

Richard 06-11-2022 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9087135)
Sweet thank you. Those Tri y headers look nice! I may stick with the Holley LS swap oil pan that I put in my Regal though. It worked out very well for my last swap.

I am still torn as to whether I want to keep my 4x4 though. The L96 and 6l90e swap is quite simple and I wont have to wait for any adapters or machine my NP205.

Like the 4x4's myself. Oil pan depth was not a concern for me. Always prefer OEM and thought the OEM pan I chose may hold more oil than the Holley pan. Curious how you can do a 6L90 to NP205 swap without any aftermarket adapters? Are you just stating you already have the pieces? I had found all 2wd 6L90 are 36 spline and no adapter available. With the exception being the ZL1 trans I have. Which is the same as a 4L80.

NDM 06-11-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 9089535)
Like the 4x4's myself. Oil pan depth was not a concern for me. Always prefer OEM and thought the OEM pan I chose may hold more oil than the Holley pan. Curious how you can do a 6L90 to NP205 swap without any aftermarket adapters? Are you just stating you already have the pieces? I had found all 2wd 6L90 are 36 spline and no adapter available. With the exception being the ZL1 trans I have. Which is the same as a 4L80.

I like the 4x4 but my eventual plan iscto 2wd swap and lower mine so I am likely going to pick up a 2wd l96 and 6l90e. I would run the same 4x4 front axle at the same height that it is now but with no driveshaft. Once I am ready, I would likely do the swap with coilovers and porterbuilt, roadstershop or detroitspeed components.

I am not really opposed to keeping 4x4 but being honest with myself, I am building this as a daily driver and the truck rides pretty crappy. I am getting older and this suspension will get old pretty fast. I do like the height as is but my true dream was to have a low and fast hotrod. Had it been possible to keep 4x4 and lower it too, I thought it would have been cool to run it in a simialr fashion as my old SRT jeep. Kind of an AWD high power road eater! Since that is not possible, 2WD road eater it shal be.

Richard 06-15-2022 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9089547)
I like the 4x4 but my eventual plan iscto 2wd swap and lower mine so I am likely going to pick up a 2wd l96 and 6l90e. I would run the same 4x4 front axle at the same height that it is now but with no driveshaft. Once I am ready, I would likely do the swap with coilovers and porterbuilt, roadstershop or detroitspeed components.

I am not really opposed to keeping 4x4 but being honest with myself, I am building this as a daily driver and the truck rides pretty crappy. I am getting older and this suspension will get old pretty fast. I do like the height as is but my true dream was to have a low and fast hotrod. Had it been possible to keep 4x4 and lower it too, I thought it would have been cool to run it in a simialr fashion as my old SRT jeep. Kind of an AWD high power road eater! Since that is not possible, 2WD road eater it shal be.

AWD would be unique. While it would take some work. Using the engine trans and t-case from a later model AWD Escalade might be a path. An earlier Ford Dana 44 straight axle would have the diff on the correct side. Or swap the independent front suspension from the Escalade over as well. Lots of fab work, but that is what makes it fun.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Hope to get going on the truck again next week. Been working a lot to get the big Chevy out of the shop.
I did get my radiator hoses sorted for now. Used two upper hoses and one lower from the 2013 ZL1 motor came from. Some cutting, couplers and shrink hose clamps made them fit.

mr.mud1 06-15-2022 06:51 AM

looking good Richard,great work.it'll be a knock out when you get her done.all the best.Greg

Richard 06-17-2022 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9091044)
looking good Richard,great work.it'll be a knock out when you get her done.all the best.Greg

Thanks for stopping by. Been keeping an eye out for an update on your truck.

mr.mud1 06-17-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 9091668)
Thanks for stopping by. Been keeping an eye out for an update on your truck.

hi Richard,hope you're doing well.i would love to make an update on my truck but i feel like i've wasted a month and don't have much to report.my truck is painted,it's a mess and i've been trying to find someone to do it again without any success.everyone is busy,lots of places that can fix it next year or the year after???that won't do.i talked with a man the other day who said he'd come this weekend and have a look,we'll see what comes of that but i'm just about to the stage where i'll build a temporary paint booth and do it myself?take care.Greg.

Richard 06-28-2022 11:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally a free day to get some work done on the truck. Over engine brace is tacked in and disconnects installed. Added more bracing to the shock hoops. Hope to finish up right side tomorrow then take it all off the truck. Plan is drop off at American OffRoad Thursday so Brian can finish weld all the pieces for me.

Richard 07-07-2022 05:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hoops and brace are at American Off Road for finish weld. Made the double shear bracket for panhard mount at axle today. Will add more strength to the entire assembly on the right side. Was able to get left front bump off of truck and work on it as well. Will get the bump back in place and finish right side bump tomorrow.

mr.mud1 07-07-2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 9098495)
Hoops and brace are at American Off Road for finish weld. Made the double shear bracket for panhard mount at axle today. Will add more strength to the entire assembly on the right side. Was able to get left front bump off of truck and work on it as well. Will get the bump back in place and finish right side bump tomorrow.

WOW,that's impressive work there.very nice Richard.all the best.Greg

Richard 08-11-2022 01:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
With work, the heat and plain old procrastination I am still moving forward on the truck. Front suspension was taken off. Shock hoops fully welded, painted and tweaked for reinstall. Never planned to just bolt through stock frame. Reinforcements made with 1", 1/4" wall tube and tied to upper and lower frame rails. I removed the shackle hangers and patched the hole as well. Easier to route brake, fuel lines and electrical with it gone.

The procrastination part was on the front frame reinforcing or boxing plates. Very few making them, expensive ($750), waiting time and only seemed for 2wd. Felt I needed to do something as the frame was not designed to support the truck as I have it now. Have the left side ready for welding in. Wanted something for easy access and still provided support. You can see what I came up with. About $30 of metal I had picked up. It is 1/4" so should be strong.

Four link brackets are fully welded on the axle. Threw a coat of paint on it to keep the surface rust from coming back. Still need to add sway bar mounts and steering ram mount. All my links and bars are welded and painted except the draglink. Have been waiting for some HD high angle tie rod ends for it, they finally showed up. Need to get everything back on the truck so I can see if they will work. Shooting to get the truck supporting it's own weight first of the week.

Steeveedee 09-08-2022 08:28 PM

Wowzers! I just read through this thread. Absolutely amazing. I've done work on cars in the past ('40 Chevy business coupe with a straight axle, 350 engine, 400 trans, 3.90 posi, for example), but nothing as extensive as what you are doing here. No pictures, though, and I sold it to pay for my wife's engagement ring. We just did what we did back then, when the internet didn't exist. Should have kept and stored some of the stuff I had. I could be rich! Not really, I would have just built different hot rods with the money. :lol:

Richard 09-09-2022 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9122153)
Wowzers! I just read through this thread. Absolutely amazing. I've done work on cars in the past ('40 Chevy business coupe with a straight axle, 350 engine, 400 trans, 3.90 posi, for example), but nothing as extensive as what you are doing here. No pictures, though, and I sold it to pay for my wife's engagement ring. We just did what we did back then, when the internet didn't exist. Should have kept and stored some of the stuff I had. I could be rich! Not really, I would have just built different hot rods with the money. :lol:

Thanks for checking out my build Steven. Was nice to meet you and your wife. Hope the effort I put into the A/C repair for you was beneficial and lasts. You are the first board member I have had physical contact with. Truly enjoy using the gifts I have to help others. Never done anything like this myself as well. I have been able to work through the challenges presented on this build only due to my God given talents, what I have learned and patience. If you ever want to come by and see the truck, or just hang out give me a ring. You have my info.