The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Blazer retractable convertible top (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=405625)

Effeckt 04-19-2013 12:53 AM

Re: Blazer retractable convertible top

This is awesome! I love seeing new updates to this thread. Keep up on the awesome work!
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-18-2013 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm back to working on the top again, now that the kids are back in school and boating season is winding down.. I've been waiting for a time to get 3-4 back to back days to do this windshield bridge from the 68/69 chevelle...
Well I took off some vacation this week to get this thing kick started and spent the last 2 days cutting, fitting and welding this bridge. Lots of time went into recording all the measurements of the windshield frame outline etc...
Then I welded a bunch of tabs on the pillar bracing to give the curvature of the top of the frame to help me line up the new bridge which has been a project saver itself along with the old windshield a buddy gave me so I can use it as a template
I'm about 3/4 complete , just have to fit and weld in one more section tomorrow...
Then before I weld it into the remaining pillars I then have the next huge task of doing the exact same to the convertible top header bow which I purchased 2 new reproductions also from a 68/69 chevelle to mate up nicely with the bridge..
Here's a couple quick shots
Attachment 1153590
Attachment 1153591
Attachment 1153592
Attachment 1153593
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-18-2013 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure what happened to the other attachments but here's one showing the tabs welded before I cut out the bridge

Attachment 1153598
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-18-2013 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shot of the tabs without the original blazer bridge in place
Attachment 1153599
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-18-2013 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shot of the windshield in place with the laid back pillars , my goal here is to still use the stock windshield even with it laid back and with the chevelle bridge:metal: ...

Attachment 1153600
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-18-2013 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1153601
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

kvn1011 09-19-2013 12:31 AM

nice progress!!

Effeckt 09-19-2013 01:17 AM

Awesome work!

zammer 09-19-2013 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I got the bridge welded p and tacked it place :metal:
I'm pretty pumped about this , can't believe how much time I spent on this :lol:
Just happy it turned out good so far and I started the header bow 2 to 1 sectioning as well while it was on the bench.. Couple pics

Attachment 1153961
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-19-2013 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1153962
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-19-2013 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Door closed pic, lots of fill metal massaging to do...
Attachment 1153963
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-19-2013 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First 3 middle sections of the header bow, exact same dimensions are key to getting the same curvature as the bridge..

Attachment 1153968
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

tubbedII 09-20-2013 11:09 AM

Wow...this is going to look factory made when done. Amazing.

zammer 09-20-2013 11:23 AM

Thanks guys! Trying to take my time to get this looking as clean as possible
Posted via Mobile Device

YBNORML 09-20-2013 11:28 AM

Looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-20-2013 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! Took the bracing off this morning and welded up the corners and couldn't wait to fit the glass in...
Attachment 1154032
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-20-2013 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1154033
Posted via Mobile Device

Effeckt 09-20-2013 01:40 PM

Incredible job! Going to look amazing when done.
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-20-2013 09:54 PM

Hey thanks!
I need some ideas on how to finish the top of the new windshield bridge... I was thinking of leaving it as is and smoothing all the lines out and painting for the finished look, like the blazer..... OR it looks like the 68-72 convertible chevelles, gtos and olds had some kind of vinyl wrap around the top of the windshield frame???
Not sure if I should look at wrapping it or not as if I am I need to figure out my gap to allow for as I'm working on getting the header bow RH side lined up and levelled with the frame,door, and window...
Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks guys
Kris
Posted via Mobile Device

tubbedII 09-23-2013 01:14 PM

Just my opinion, but I'd smooth it out more like the blazer top than make it look like the car it came off of. I've never had a real convertible though, so I don't know if those aid in sealing the top when closed.

zammer 09-23-2013 02:35 PM

Yeah I was more leaning that way, I guess I could always put vinyl on after if it didn't seal but it looks like it should work no prob either way. I was reading up on how they do the chevelles and its just glued on so no real technical hurdles there,
Thanks for your input, kris
Posted via Mobile Device

Effeckt 09-23-2013 03:50 PM

I agree with tubbedII. If possible I'd go with matching it to the blazer top.

hotrod4202 09-24-2013 09:59 AM

Thats A Really Kool Idea,I Like It.

zammer 09-24-2013 10:12 AM

Thanks! I'm going to try get the header bow done today and post pics
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-24-2013 10:29 AM

Next question I was justing thinking over....
Black or white rag top?? I'm thinking white to match original... I think it will look good with any dark paint which I'm leaning towards....
Waddyah think?
Posted via Mobile Device

smbrouss70 09-24-2013 10:59 AM

If you are doing the body to look stock, I would go with white. If not, a medium or slightly darker khaki would look great with any of your darker colors, then you could have your interior done in a similar shade.

hgs_notes 09-24-2013 11:03 AM

Depends on color of paint. In most cases you are safe with either color. I don't know if thats true with shades of gray or silvers though. I think black would look better with those. In just about every other color though white or black should look good and it would be your preference. These came with black tops also.

Effeckt 09-24-2013 12:45 PM

I personally would shy away from white for the simple fact that it will get dirty and wear the quickest in my opinion. I would look towards either khaki as suggested or black. Where my opinion would land would ultimately depend on what color you went with. I think black looks good with just about any color but khaki could look great with the right combo.

tubbedII 09-24-2013 12:46 PM

I'm not a fan of white convertible tops...kinda reminds me of table cloths. I'm not saying they don't look good, but IMO black usually looks better. Either way, you'd probably be better off choosing all 3 colors (paint, interior AND top) at the same time to ensure they work together.

zammer 09-24-2013 02:39 PM

Very good tips points and opinions guys thanks!
I honestly didn't realize there are hundreds of different a vinyls a guy can go with... The dark khaki would be cool too, I would have never searched for the look of it but its dark but not black... It would look pretty slick...
I need to decide my interior colors too soon.. I will probably do a mock vinyl top in black before the real one to check operation and fitment as well... Getting closer by the day..... :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-24-2013 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I have the RHS almost completed and tacked in place, just need to figure out how I am going to do the j clip receptacle ( this the stationary hole or anchor point on the windshield frame that the clip grabs to hold the header bow in place.. The below pic you can see it hanging down ..
Attachment 1155349
Posted via Mobile Device

Now it has over 90 degrees it can move toward the frame which I will put some sort of hard washer doubled up,or something.. The ones I bought from a 68-72 chevelle does not work even with modding because its too big and cast crap metal of some sort...
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-24-2013 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This shows the top part of the spring loaded j clip handles . To secure you move the handle towards the top frame rack..
Attachment 1155355
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-24-2013 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a look at the side hard to really see detail but it has a slight arc in the top simulator to most converts of this era but less which makes it look almost unnoticeable or straight on the horizontal...
Attachment 1155356
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-24-2013 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The final shot and work of the day :lol: is the bow with its 5 sections welded in roughly and sitting perched atop of the frame... I also put on the seal under it and it's looks like it will be a nice double lipped seal sweet!

Attachment 1155357
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

skorpioskorpio 09-24-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zammer (Post 6283797)
Very good tips points and opinions guys thanks!
I honestly didn't realize there are hundreds of different a vinyls a guy can go with... The dark khaki would be cool too, I would have never searched for the look of it but its dark but not black... It would look pretty slick...
I need to decide my interior colors too soon.. I will probably do a mock vinyl top in black before the real one to check operation and fitment as well... Getting closer by the day..... :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you want to use canvas not vinyl.

zammer 09-24-2013 04:17 PM

Ah yes, right I do want to use canvas thanks! Looks much cleaner IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Chulisohombre 09-29-2013 05:15 PM

This is going to be pretty cool when you get it finished
Posted via Mobile Device

zammer 09-11-2014 01:00 PM

Hey can't believe its been a year since the last update..
Was busy the past 8-10 months starting a small boat business and things are winding down so I'm commiting my extra time to getting this truck ready for paint by the end of January so it will be road ready for the spring here :metal:
I still have approx 60-80 est manhours left on the top and its components but i'm seeing the light now as this past week I almost have the rear trunk operating on 4 air cylinders efficiently and that will be a big milestone.

Here's a new video of the blazer after i took it out last week for a quick cruise since finishing plumbing in the air bag suspension, putting in 2 electric fans on the rad and finishing up the fuel tank mods..
I'm sitting on a milk crate thus i have to hold onto the windsheild frame so i didn't end up in the back haha , couldn't help myself to see what kind of take-off i could do.. ( i brought this truck home 5 years ago next week already and have put on 2 miles of drive time :lol:)

tubbedII 09-11-2014 02:05 PM

I'm very glad this one is still in the works. Probably my favorite project of the entire board. Your take off looked and sounded great too. Looked and sounded like you were trying to put on your seat belt...

Chulisohombre 09-11-2014 02:43 PM

Cool. It's gettin around pretty good.