The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 04-26-2011 11:32 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled the floor off again to clean up the backside of the holes and prep it all for final assembly. Once it was ready, I bolted it onto the framerails and started laying down the wood. I like the fact that the mounting hardware will be completely hidden beneath the planks :cool: Still need to cut and drill for the bedsides and tubs, then it will all get tightened down...

SCOTI 04-26-2011 11:40 PM

Did you cut down your 'body pucks'? They look slightly shorter than my 3" ones (might just be how they appear in the monitor).

Wood looks good!

gringoloco 04-26-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4648682)
Did you cut down your 'body pucks'? They look slightly shorter than my 3" ones (might just be how they appear in the monitor).

Wood looks good!

Yes, I took 1 1/8" out of them to accommodate the thickness of the wood stacked on top of the metal floor ribs. They are now 1 7/8" tall. Thanks for the comment- it still needs a little work, but should turn out nicely :)

VA72C10 04-27-2011 12:03 AM

very nice!!!

gringoloco 04-27-2011 11:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4648732)
very nice!!!

Thanks! Getting there- slowly today...

Managed to get the bed floor bolted down tight after doing some more routing/trimming as some of the boards decided to warp on me :waah: What fun lying on my back running 50-plus nuts and washers onto the carriage bolts, all while snaking around the framerails, tank, and exhaust and finding creative ways to keep the bolts from spinning. Once everything was snug, I cut the wheelwells and drilled the perimeter mounting holes. Bed floor- DONE. Okay, still have to trim for the rear stakepockets...

My neighbor stopped by as I pulled the truck outside and commented on how nice the bed floor looked, and then asked if I was gonna treat the wood with anything. "Nope." Going for the 'weathered' look. Got an odd look. I'm sure he thinks I'm ruining it :D

Also, after making a huge mess with seam sealer and breaking my caulk gun, I installed some nutserts for the wheel tubs with a homemade 'tool'. Works pretty well, especially considering the actual installation tool is over $100. I woulda liked to have one, though, after about the third nutsert, as these things takes some 'oomph' to get them to crush. I am not looking forward to doing the other bedside...

VA72C10 04-28-2011 12:04 AM

those are cool. Going to look factory to many people when done!

67cheby 04-28-2011 09:13 AM

nice work

RatRod68 04-28-2011 10:25 AM

Where did you get those nutserts? Those could be VERY usefull

chevy2racr 04-28-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatRod68 (Post 4651043)

agreed!

gringoloco 04-28-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4650505)
those are cool. Going to look factory to many people when done!

Thanks- that's the idea. You guys will know, though... ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4650892)
nice work

Thanks!
Quote:

Yeah, pretty cool little gadgets. Picked 'em up through Grainger.com. Should be able to get 'em at your local store or on Amazon.com as well.

mcbassin 04-28-2011 11:42 PM

That bed floor looks awesome! Great idea with the nut serts. I may have to borrow that one myself. Nice!

gringoloco 04-28-2011 11:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had some fun with the spray gun today after welding up the corner bracing and drilling holes for the rear cross-sill in its raised position. Sanded and scuffed the panels in preparation for primer- and then sprayed 'em. The primer looks grey in these pics, but is really black (this may be important later). The header panel is a truer representation of color than the bedsides; guess they were in the sun...

gringoloco 04-29-2011 12:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Gave them some time to dry while at my daughter's tee-ball game, then scuffed 'em again so that the color would stick :) I shot two wet coats of the HRF and maaaan does it lay out nicely. It is very forgiving unless you are a complete bonehead, like I was...

I got in a rush (dumb thing to do while painting) and had the panels too close together, so that I had to squeeze between them while painting, causing me get too close to the header and run it :cry: Also had a leakage issue with the gun that got a few drips on the 'sides since they were laying flat. I'll have to decide if I can live with it when it dries completely, but will most likely be sanding and respraying the header- at least the front side- the back is just fine :waah:

All in all, I like this paint, and look forward to shooting more of it. I think it's gonna be cool :cool: In the pics, the jambs are mostly dry, as is the header, but the insides of the bedsides are still wet, hence the glossy-ness...

gringoloco 04-29-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2racr (Post 4652336)
agreed!

These things are awesome, but a bit of a pain to install without the special tool. It can be done, but definitely eat your Wheaties!
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4652351)
That bed floor looks awesome! Great idea with the nut serts. I may have to borrow that one myself. Nice!

Thanks a lot! This is why I put these things up here: in hopes that someone might get some entertainment or use out of it. Also don't mind the motivation :)

mcmlxix 04-29-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

I found them on eBay for less then the local stores or online....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

yote1234 04-29-2011 11:50 AM

very nice !!!! keep up the good work.

gringoloco 05-02-2011 11:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yote1234 (Post 4652995)
very nice !!!! keep up the good work.

Thanks! Trying to keep the momentum- stuff just keeps getting in the way- stupid responsibilities... :dohh:

I did manage to make a little progress by popping out the back glass using the extension cord trick and getting some primer on the back of the cab and paint on the wheeltubs. I didn't paint the cab, as it will get wetsanded before color...

It is killing me to not be perfectly bodyworking this truck before paint. I keep wanting to do it 'right'. I think the technique will pay off though, as the reward for not having worried about the details now is not sweating parking it at Home Depot- or loading it with the junk I buy there. Just might end up with a sweet faux-tina, too :lol:

Jacfourteen 05-03-2011 01:17 AM

Looks good!

gringoloco 05-03-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacfourteen (Post 4659325)
Looks good!

Thanks! :D I hope to actually have a complete truck again soon...
Posted via Mobile Device

68Driver 05-03-2011 09:03 AM

Howdy,

My project is down to the frame right now and I'm within a month or so of pulling the trigger on whether to paint or powder?? How did you like the powder coat when you got your parts back? It looks very very nice. The word on the street is that powder is the way to go?? What are your thoughts? THanks..

67cheby 05-03-2011 09:24 AM

Looking good

gringoloco 05-03-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Driver (Post 4659527)
Howdy,

My project is down to the frame right now and I'm within a month or so of pulling the trigger on whether to paint or powder?? How did you like the powder coat when you got your parts back? It looks very very nice. The word on the street is that powder is the way to go?? What are your thoughts? THanks..

I like the powder for it's durability, buuuuuut, it is more expensive and impossible to touch up if you do manage to scratch or chip it. If I were doing a frame-off, I would go powder. Personal preference :chevy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4659561)
Looking good

Thanks! We're getting there...
Posted via Mobile Device

bosco200 05-03-2011 07:29 PM

Thank god you changed the bed that was my biggest worry,
Posted via Mobile Device

72BlckButy 05-03-2011 08:59 PM

Nice progress GL! Love the floor/bed mods.

gringoloco 05-03-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosco200 (Post 4660491)
Thank god you changed the bed that was my biggest worry,
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha- me too! It was one of the first things to go...
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 4660702)
Nice progress GL! Love the floor/bed mods.

Thanks! Hope to have it back together soon :)

gringoloco 05-03-2011 11:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some color on the cab tonight. Can't say enough about how well this paint lays out- It would look good with some clear on it :cool: I'm really liking this color...

hotrodhomi 05-03-2011 11:21 PM

Do you mask off your whole garage before spraying and wet down the floor or are you doing it outside. It looks great so far, keep it up. what kind of gun are you using.

VA72C10 05-03-2011 11:22 PM

Looking GREAT!

Number98 05-03-2011 11:23 PM

Coming along nice man! :metal:

gringoloco 05-03-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi (Post 4661120)
Do you mask off your whole garage before spraying and wet down the floor or are you doing it outside. It looks great so far, keep it up. what kind of gun are you using.

Ultimately, if I were doing a nice, glossy paintjob, that is exactly what I would do. In this case, it is getting a 'quick and dirty' that is actually turning out nicer than I intended. I almost feel bad for not giving it the prep and attention to detail it deserves. This paint would look awesome on a slicked '67. Even better on something curvy, like an early VW Beetle...

The gun is a cheap Harbor Freight 'purple' gun. I think I got them for $14.99 on sale. Sprays very well- try Googling it to find the right part number to buy- I was very surprised at the quality of the pattern it produces- some compare it to, and say it is a copy of a very expensive Sata/Iwata. I don't know about that, but it's TONS better than a $75 Campbell Hausfeld I inherited- never could get consistent patterns out of that thing...

EDIT: Harbor Freight part number 43430 or 47016 HVLP 'purple gun'
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4661121)
Looking GREAT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number98 (Post 4661125)
Coming along nice man! :metal:

Thanks for the kudos fellas- I'm ready to get this thing going :uhmk:

gringoloco 05-04-2011 12:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few dry shots after I pulled the masking, comparing the old paint to the new. I can start assembling the bed now- finally! :metal:

EDIT: The camera did funky stuff with the color- the wet pics above are much more representative of the actual color- maybe pretty close on the second pic here...

VA72C10 05-04-2011 12:06 AM

that does look good...especially in the second pic. IF i find a cheap air compressor large enough for air tools I'll have to pick up one of those HF guns. that's another to add to the good, bad, and ugly thread as a good item to pick up there....

Painter D 05-04-2011 09:57 PM

Lookin good

gringoloco 05-04-2011 11:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4661202)
that does look good...especially in the second pic. IF i find a cheap air compressor large enough for air tools I'll have to pick up one of those HF guns. that's another to add to the good, bad, and ugly thread as a good item to pick up there....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69chevyshort (Post 4662666)
Lookin good

Thanks guys :D I'll hafta look for that HF thread...

Put the bed back together tonight. It took a little trimming here and there, both metal and wood, to get it fitting right. It is just loosely bolted together now- I will throw the gate on when I tighten everything down so I know it's aligned properly. I like the color contrast of the blue with the yellow pine- almost looks too nice ;) Don't mind the rear height- I had it aired-up so the creeper would fit underneath...

mcbassin 05-04-2011 11:32 PM

Very nice work on the bed. I really like the yellow pine too. I used that on one of my stepsides back in the day. You better get that tape off your back window or it might take some elbow grease to clean the tape residue off. Keep the daily progress pictures coming.

gringoloco 05-04-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4662865)
Very nice work on the bed. I really like the yellow pine too. I used that on one of my stepsides back in the day. You better get that tape off your back window or it might take some elbow grease to clean the tape residue off. Keep the daily progress pictures coming.

Haha- thanks, the rear window is removed and I used blue painter's tape on the inside of the cab, constrained to the gasket sealing surface, so I hope it will be alright. I wanted to have something there to help keep the bodywork dust out of the cab and don't have a helper to re-install the glass. Pics every chance I get to work on it- maybe I'll have a helper this weekend :)

mcbassin 05-04-2011 11:54 PM

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you didn't have glass. I used the high dollar yellow 3M tape from the auto paint store on the last one I did. I left it on there for 2 days and it was a bear to get off. I was shooting eurethane enamel and I guess it didn't mix well with the tape? I spent a few hours cleaning it off the rubber on the windshield and rear window.

That blue looks great on your truck BTW.

VA72C10 05-05-2011 01:10 AM

bed wood looks fantastic against the blue and will still look good once the wood greys out.

gringoloco 05-05-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4662896)
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you didn't have glass. I used the high dollar yellow 3M tape from the auto paint store on the last one I did. I left it on there for 2 days and it was a bear to get off. I was shooting eurethane enamel and I guess it didn't mix well with the tape? I spent a few hours cleaning it off the rubber on the windshield and rear window.

That blue looks great on your truck BTW.

Yeah, I noticed the blue stuff seems to get 'stickier' too. Now you have me worried :uhmk: I think I'll stick the glass back in Saturday if I can get some help. Thanks for the compliment!
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4662985)
bed wood looks fantastic against the blue and will still look good once the wood greys out.

Thanks! ...and this may be sooner rather than later ;)

Bennett68C10 05-05-2011 07:05 AM

Wow your bed wood looks great, I really like the color blue you went with as well. Truck is going to look amazing.