The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510160)

CC69Rat 04-15-2012 09:55 PM

Re: Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop

Hey -- Johnathan, please put those fender emblems back for me .. I'll get them from you in the next couple days. One of the posts broke off when I took the DS off.

There was pile of dirt underneath the GMC letters! I don't think they had ever been off.

VA72C10 04-15-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5315968)
Hey -- Johnathan, please put those fender emblems back for me .. I'll get them from you in the next couple days. One of the posts broke off when I took the DS off.

There was pile of dirt underneath the GMC letters! I don't think they had ever been off.

Already have them set aside for you :gmc2:

gearys 5600 04-15-2012 10:04 PM

HUGE difference !! Looks great..

67cheby 04-15-2012 10:42 PM

Wow top notch work !
Posted via Mobile Device

ryanmctee 04-16-2012 10:15 AM

Awesome. Had no idea that color sanding and buffing could bring results like that. I as well may have lost my finger prints over the weekend due to sanding my truck :lol:. I'm very thankful for your pictures and advise that have lent a helping hand to my project. Thanks again - Ryan

CC69Rat 04-16-2012 11:04 AM

The paint on this truck was really dead looking, partly due to just so much paint and dry spray on it. When I bought the truck it's the first thing I noticed. .. BUT .. I knew it had enough paint on it that I could cut it back a little and make it look nice enough to drive. Don't get me wrong, .. it's old paint and it is thin in places.

It is Single Stage no doubt. IF you have the patience, you can literally make single stage look like a piece of glass. The problem is I ran out of paint to get deep enough to get it all out. There's still a couple nicks and older spots in the paint (especially across the hood) but I did the best I could. My driveway is a darker shade of gray now :lol:

I have some original mirror arms and heads on the way, I'll put the door handle and Custom emblem back on tonight. I also have new Deluxe side markers for it I bought from Junk Yard John a few months ago. I painted the inner part of the Sierra Grande emblem back black I just need to clean up the edges of it .. and, my buddy Johnathan has some 1500 Super Custom emblems for the fenders. I'll detail those up and we should be ready to roll. :metal:

I color sanded with 1500, then did it again with 2000. 3M Black Wax (Wool), Meguires Fine Cut Cleaner(white foam), Meguires Swirl Remover (white foam) All with the buffer. Then the Maroon bottle Meguires Cleaner wax, ole faithful #7, and Final Detail spray by hand. All keeping it super clean. I have a LOT of work in it.

I can definitely say, .. if I did it all over again I personally couldn't do any better. I'm pretty happy how it came up.

72BlckButy 04-16-2012 02:49 PM

Amazing job... that paint shines now!

theastronaut 04-16-2012 03:43 PM

Came here from the wetsanding thread and I've got to say, you've done a great job bring that paint back to life! I like your build style, just cleaning it up and dropping it- I'm doing my '66 the same way. I'm in the same spot you're at on wheels; the ones I want start at $975 each for 18's and I'd like to do 19/20's on it, but there's no way I'm paying that much for wheels! Can't wait to see it once its lowered and on 20's!

CC69Rat 04-18-2012 07:21 AM

In all honesty .. do you guys think the wheels Eric has for sale would be 'too much' wheel for this truck?

The Billet Specialties .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511203

things to consider:

The truck will have to sit outside. My wife and Mother in law have the garage space.
While I will not be driving this truck every day, maybe once a week .. it might be driven on rainy days, etc.
I'm not going to be bagging it
Not going to paint it any time soon
New Interior
New wood bed
All new window felts / rubber
4.5/6" drop - Sway bars, Bilstiens, etc.

Mild Patina look, the chrome and trim is not perfect. Budget is an issue as I don't want to take away from my 68 project.

Should I just stick with Coys? Or .. bust the ole piggy bank? I really, really .. Did I say REALLY? .. like the wheels he has. They have the perfect combination of the Salt Flat look I like plus not really a 'Chrome' look.

If I bought these the interior might need to wait till the fall and my drop might come a month or two later as I don't want to pile up a bunch of credit card debt. I don't 'Need' this truck. It's just a toy.

your thoughts please? .. Pop?

lolife99 04-18-2012 07:38 AM

His Quote:
20 by 10 rear billetspecialties heritage wheels. There are two of the I paid 1200 per wheel. They have never been mounted and are brand new 1800 takes them. 3 inch lip with 6 inch backspace.

I personally think they have too much backspacing.
I like the wheel,... but I don't think they will work for your truck.

lolife99 04-18-2012 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of TXPinstriper's truck.
'71 with a 20x10 (5.5" BS)

The wheels that Superfly has,... will be "sucked in" 1/2" more than these.
I think that's too much on a static dropped truck, that doesn't need the bedside clearance, (like an extreme bagged truck).

CC69Rat 04-18-2012 08:27 AM

:but:

I guess it's the part of me that knows it's a good buy, .. BUT, my gut is telling me no. I could put a 1/2" spacer behind them and have Moser put 1/2" longer studs in my axles, .. BUT then I have to buy the fronts and it will make me wait on the drop, interior stuff .. etc. etc.

I just think as cool as it would be, it might be a little out of reach for this truck. Those wheels really belong on a truck like Eric builds, not my $10k budget driver. I'd have more in my wheels than I did in the truck. :lol:

It would look awesome but still be sitting high and they wouldn't bolt on 'cause I couldn't get my 5 lug / drop stuff yet. I have about $1k a month in play money so maybe over the winter I can get a little crazier with it but really I want to find a good stopping point on this one and get back on my 68 asap.

67cheby 04-18-2012 10:01 AM

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL WHEELS !! are you goint to go lower...stupid question of course you are its a disease ! LOL, buy them and put the spacers on them for now !

smbrouss70 04-18-2012 10:28 AM

I wouldn't run a billet wheel on a driver that is going to sleep outside, unless you really like polishing wheels. Get some chrome Coy's and rinse them off with the hose every once in a while and wipe them down afterwards to avoid water spots. Just my $.02

ryanmctee 04-18-2012 10:47 AM

My $.02 always say go with your gut. It really sounds like your gut says pass due to the dollar amount. Those wheels look nice, but are they really worth that much moola?? I think there are lots of nice wheels out there that would really compliment your truck. Keep in mind with all that sanding and buffing you did and the amount of real estate the panels take up most people probably won't notice the wheels that much anyways. :lol:

n2billet 04-18-2012 01:17 PM

Truck turned out amazing! You did a great job........I would run the Coys on this truck.....;)

superflysteiny 04-18-2012 01:36 PM

I think you should buy the wheels that you want regardless of what they are made from or look like. I would get a wheel that sets your truck apart from others. Sorry but there are so many guys running coys. They are a nice looking wheel but if you have seen one you have seen them all. Not trying to pis anyone off on the board. I like coys but I think alot of us go with them because they are cheep. As far as billet is concerned there are alot of products on the market now that keep the shine on the wheels for close to 6 months. Then you just apply it again and the wheels look brand new. At any rate your project is cool keep up the good work.

NoNeck 04-18-2012 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chad - I really like Eric's wheels, too. But...

I think you should stick with the Coys (sorry Eric). Remember, this truck is your DRIVER. You have the Billet wheels already for your '68 build (See photos below), and it will stay garaged. :c2:

You don't want to have to worry about leaving $4K worth of wheels and tires out in the cold. I know the Coys aren't cheap, but they are much more suitable for a daily driver IMO. Plus, I think they look awesome for the price. Just give them the "Coley Hot Rod Shop" custom treatment to give the old GMC the "Old School" look.

I would restore the interior of your truck back to as close to original as possible (I love the color combination). Then, restore the bed, lower it and just drive it!

POP

Save those $$$ to finish your Big Block '68.

superflysteiny 04-18-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNeck (Post 5321864)
Chad - I really like Eric's wheels, too. But...

I think you should stick with the Coys (sorry Eric). Remember, this truck is your DRIVER. You have the Billet wheels already for your '68 build (See photos below), and it will stay garaged. :c2:

You don't want to have to worry about leaving $4K worth of wheels and tires out in the cold. I know the Coys aren't cheap, but they are much more suitable for a daily driver IMO. Plus, I think they look awesome for the price. Just give them the "Coley Hot Rod Shop" custom treatment to give the old GMC the "Old School" look.

I would restore the interior of your truck back to as close to original as possible (I love the color combination). Then, restore the bed, lower it and just drive it!

POP

Save those $$$ to finish your Big Block '68.

no sorry needed

CC69Rat 04-18-2012 03:06 PM

Man I need to replace that air cleaner lid ! :D :lol: Always somethin !

Maybe we just bag the 68?? Hahahaa .. Naa, I think you guys are right. The car nut in me says the Billets would be cool but really I just can't afford it without getting buried in debt or throwing the brakes on the other project too.

72BlckButy 04-19-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 5321816)
Truck turned out amazing! You did a great job........I would run the Coys on this truck.....;)

Agreed.... you'd drive yourself crazy trying to keep Billet's looking good on a daily basis.

shawno72 04-19-2012 09:29 AM

Chad I think pops is sounding very wise on this one :D not to stir it up but have you photoshopped some black centers on it yet? Super easy to maintain and it would run well with the rest of the black and chrome theme. .02
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 04-19-2012 09:53 AM

What about Coys C57 ? I'm diggin this setup too. Kinda different.

This is the same size tires I bought. Same tire actually. I realy like it, but I might go 1" lower in the rear. I'm not going to be hauling anything to speak of.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=488324

NoNeck 04-19-2012 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Chad -

I like the C57's because they look like the old Keystone "Raider" wheel from the 70's. The flat spokes really give the wheels a deep, muscular look.

What if you added a very light gold color in the spokes? This would make the wheels fit in with the colors on your truck. But... I REALLY like the wheel! :metal:

See photoshop below.

POP

shawno72 04-19-2012 11:27 AM

That looks really good pops.

CC69Rat 04-19-2012 11:31 AM

MAN ! I like that .. a Whole lot ! Those wheels are not terribly expensive either.

That is definitely different and it fits the truck very well. It would sit just like the blue one, just maybe another .5 or 1" block in the back (?) But .. Wow.. Most definitely an option.

67cheby 04-19-2012 12:40 PM

WINNER !! that looks killer, low maintenance and lower price !!

sgaylord 04-19-2012 02:14 PM

I agree, looks good.

VA72C10 04-19-2012 05:12 PM

I'm loving that look too!!! Nice photoshop and idea No Neck!

CC69Rat 04-20-2012 08:52 AM

Sooo .. Do it?

I really like how the blue truck sits. I like the wheels, YES there are wheels I like more .. but it just doesn't make sense for this truck or my wallet. I feel like this wheel would fit the overall personality of the truck, my taste, budget, maintenance, etc. I still would polish them up from sitting outside .. but not like I would with Billets. If it rains, cool .. or a dog pees on them I'm not going to need bail money or anything.

I have the money ready. Should I get them? You don't see these as much as the C-5s and I like them just as much or possibly more really. I like the flat spokes too. They kinda remind me of my BSp on my 68.

I'm really, really close to calling them. Possibly today ..

shawno72 04-20-2012 09:04 AM

Chad I say if you like them pull the trigger. The price sounds right and they look good. Do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

lolife99 04-20-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5325548)
Sooo .. Do it?

I really like how the blue truck sits. I like the wheels, YES there are wheels I like more .. but it just doesn't make sense for this truck or my wallet. I feel like this wheel would fit the overall personality of the truck, my taste, budget, maintenance, etc. I still would polish them up from sitting outside .. but not like I would with Billets. If it rains, cool .. or a dog pees on them I'm not going to need bail money or anything.

I have the money ready. Should I get them? You don't see these as much as the C-5s and I like them just as much or possibly more really. I like the flat spokes too. They kinda remind me of my BSp on my 68.

I'm really, really close to calling them. Possibly today ..

Which c57 wheel?
Chrome, polished, or grey?

NoNeck 04-20-2012 09:49 AM

I agree with Shawn... Awesome wheel at a reasonable price. I would use "see 10's" wheel specs. They look great on his truck!

4/6 drop
Front: 20x8.5 backspacing 5" (et 6mm) , with 255/45
Rear: 20x10 backspacing 5.5" (et 0mm) , with 295/45

I'm sure others will chime in, but I say you already have the tires, so go for it! :metal:

POP

CC69Rat 04-20-2012 09:56 AM

7/10 drop - Full Air ride and PB drop front rear Xmembers, LS3 ? :D

(playin)

The polished ones Keith. What do you think? Your opinion matters too. All opinions welcome, good or bad. I think they kinda fit a mild patina truck well (?)

Would they fit the truck (the look, not the size) .. ? My trim is not super shiney, just original stuff .. I'm not really looking for bright shiney chrome, just a muted back more polished look. I still might hit them with the Power Ball and white flour trick before I mount them up.

I really like the Pchop Dad did. Pop, .. just to see, can you take out the gold from the spokes to just see what it looks like in Polished?

NoNeck 04-20-2012 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go... no gold in the spokes. Definately the polished version, not chrome IMO.

POP

lolife99 04-20-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5325649)
The polished ones Keith. What do you think? Your opinion matters too. All opinions welcome, good or bad. I think they kinda fit a mild patina truck well (?)

You need to get the wheel you like.
But since you asked,... I like the C5's better.
Cast polished wheels never really shine up to well, no matter how much you polish them.
For the same money,... I would do the C5's. (my opinon)

The next step up in pricing, would be Salt Flats from American Racing.
You need to be happy with your choice.

CC69Rat 04-20-2012 11:31 AM

Do you know of any places to get better pricing on the Salt Flats? $569 a wheel at Summit. I just can't do that much on a driver.

I really like them too, just saving the big $ for the 68. I can't fully pimp both of them right now.

lolife99 04-20-2012 12:04 PM

Grey centers:
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel...ubcat3=1011106

Polished centers:
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel...ubcat3=1011107

They come in 20x8 and 20x9.5's.
$492 each.

Wheels make or break a truck.
Suspension drop and wheels get the most bang for the $$$ spent.

m6z 04-20-2012 12:11 PM

I think the polished c57 wheel would look good. I've always liked the salt flats though. Any chance of a photoshop of the saltflats? May post a poll and let the members vote?

CC69Rat 04-20-2012 12:25 PM

Any forum vendors that may be able to do a little better with Americans? $25 or $30 a wheel would help..

Sick man .. I'm sick at my stomach .. :help: