The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1965 LWB Stepside Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737785)

roll_the_dice 04-30-2019 03:29 PM

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

1 Attachment(s)
These are the most expensive bolts I have has to buy for the truck. They are for the hydraulic throwout bearing for the transmission... $13 after I talked them down from $15 to $5 for shipping.

cwcarpenter98 04-30-2019 09:56 PM

Dadgum, that's some expensive bolts!

roll_the_dice 05-01-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8516972)
Dadgum, that's some expensive bolts!

Got to do what you got to do though! SPending $13 brought great anguish, but I didn't hesitate buying the engine or transmission! lol...

Speaking of...I purchased the shifter relocation kit for the transmission today from Speedway motors...now I can move it to the forward most position on the transmission so there won't be any issues with the bench seat. Won't be long now before I get the engine and trans installed!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1547744223

Johns 66 05-01-2019 03:26 PM

That is so funny and you are so right...We spend thousands of dollars on stuff but the little things like bolts tend to irritate us...….especially when they should have come with it originally.
I find myself in amazement at what these little things cost.

roll_the_dice 05-04-2019 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I reinstalled the steering column today....so I had to see what the SW was going to look like. I love it!

Johns 66 05-04-2019 08:18 PM

Looks Awesome Andy...starting to come together!!!!!

cwcarpenter98 05-05-2019 07:14 PM

The wheel looks great, Andy!

roll_the_dice 05-05-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8519511)
Looks Awesome Andy...starting to come together!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8520011)
The wheel looks great, Andy!

Thanks John and Christian...It's starting to resemble a truck again!

roll_the_dice 05-05-2019 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting the wiring harness today. I mounted to the fuse block to the firewall and plugged in the dimmer switch...Hope to get most of the under dash wiring done this week. Should have the rubber mounts for the firewall pad tomorrow...so I will take the fuse block off and remount it.

Johns 66 05-06-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8520073)
Starting the wiring harness today. I mounted to the fuse block to the firewall and plugged in the dimmer switch...Hope to get most of the under dash wiring done this week. Should have the rubber mounts for the firewall pad tomorrow...so I will take the fuse block off and remount it.

Im excited to see you get it wired...Im SURE I will have to make some calls to you when I start doing mine.

When you get the firewall pad installed post a pic for me..I wanna see how it looks with the Fatmat and Firewall pad.....Itll give me some idea of how the carpet is gonna look......

roll_the_dice 05-06-2019 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8520716)
Im excited to see you get it wired...Im SURE I will have to make some calls to you when I start doing mine.

When you get the firewall pad installed post a pic for me..I wanna see how it looks with the Fatmat and Firewall pad.....Itll give me some idea of how the carpet is gonna look......

I'm excited too! Ask and ye shall receive. I just got finished installing the pad.... I need to adjust it a little, but it looks good.

Johns 66 05-06-2019 09:34 PM

I like the looks of that...Its from Brothers Correct...I have the same one. I looked again at Scotts( Kdad) carpet and I think it will look perfect for what Im trying to accomplish.

So all this goes in before the wiring fuse box...makes it look clean......Im thinking based on Scotts carpet that this will really look good in my truck...even a rubber mat should go right passed the firewall pad....just like it came...only difference is that the pad doesn't go under the seat and back to the tank....

But yours looks really good.

roll_the_dice 05-06-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8520889)
I like the looks of that...Its from Brothers Correct...I have the same one. I looked again at Scotts( Kdad) carpet and I think it will look perfect for what Im trying to accomplish.

So all this goes in before the wiring fuse box...makes it look clean......Im thinking based on Scotts carpet that this will really look good in my truck...even a rubber mat should go right passed the firewall pad....just like it came...only difference is that the pad doesn't go under the seat and back to the tank....

But yours looks really good.

Thanks...yes it came from Brothers. I like it. It is nice and thick.

Yes, I have seen pics of the rubber mat and it will cover part of the pad...I like the look.

I put the fatmat in first then before I had the insulation rubber fasteners...I put the fuse box. Then today, I just slid the firewall pad under the box. I need to take the box loose when I install the inner fender well since those are the bolts that hold it in place.

straight6chevyguy 05-07-2019 03:29 PM

Looking good!

roll_the_dice 05-08-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8521339)
Looking good!

Thanks....

Trying to wire the cluster harness this week...once that goes in the rest should be pretty easy (I hope)

roll_the_dice 05-08-2019 11:34 AM

Forgot to mention...when installing the firewall pad, make sure you get the rubber fasteners. I got mine here on ebay.

Don't waste your time/effort or money on the plastic ones. I did...I don't know how long it would have taken me to get them installed. They were just too hard....no give whatsoever.

roll_the_dice 05-09-2019 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished wiring the gauge cluster. Not too bad, just a lot of connections and splices for the dash lights. I made the wires a little long, but not too bad for my first try at it. Once it is installed, if everything works as it should, I will be happy.

Not sure if I will wrap tape around the wires like OEM or not. I also can't decide whether to use regular OEM style dash bulbs or go to green LED's. What have you guys done or are going to do?

Johns 66 05-09-2019 05:20 PM

Looks really clean Andy....One step closer my friend!!!

cwcarpenter98 05-09-2019 07:17 PM

Longer wires just means you can switch out the bulbs easier. Looks nice and tidy.

I'm still running stock bulbs, and I probably will keep it that way. The stock bulbs put out enough light for my taste

roll_the_dice 05-10-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8522747)
Looks really clean Andy....One step closer my friend!!!

Thanks John...Yes one step closer. I feel I am making progress on the wiring. This was a BIG step to get finished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8522809)
Longer wires just means you can switch out the bulbs easier. Looks nice and tidy.

I'm still running stock bulbs, and I probably will keep it that way. The stock bulbs put out enough light for my taste

That's what I was thinking after I made them a little long! :)

I connected my light for my Bosch retro tach last night and it was LED and green, so I ended up ordering green LEDs for the dash. I will lose the ability to dim them, but that shouldn't be an issue.

roll_the_dice 05-10-2019 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Moving along with the wiring. Almost finished under the dash. I am waiting on bulbs for the cluster, then I can install the cluster. I wired the steering column tonight...

Out with the old column wiring harness in with the new. The old harness was melted in places....yikes.:ack:

This is still the OEM turn signal switch wiring...just a new connector and pins that came with the AAW wiring kit.

I need to zip tie and move the the harness better, but getting there...not as daunting as I had imagined...so far. Just pay attention, get good crimps...and it is pretty plug and play.

I also installed the hand brake back today...It is going slowly, but surely.

Johns 66 05-11-2019 08:08 AM

Andy you are doing a great job, going a lot faster than I thought it would take.....you are making it look simple!!!

roll_the_dice 05-11-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8523587)
Andy you are doing a great job, going a lot faster than I thought it would take.....you are making it look simple!!!

Thanks...the benefits of doing a full rewire are many...I know there shouldn't be any gremlins in the wiring and I know what every wire does (plus they are labeled). I was showing my wife the progress last night and I could name every wire harness under the dash which is nice to know what everything does. I have never been able to do that before! I used to hate wiring, now I am enjoying it.

Johns 66 05-11-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8523644)
Thanks...the benefits of doing a full rewire are many...I know there shouldn't be any gremlins in the wiring and I know what every wire does (plus they are labeled). I was showing my wife the progress last night and I could name every wire harness under the dash which is nice to know what everything does. I have never been able to do that before! I used to hate wiring, now I am enjoying it.

I look forward to doing mine...I actually love residential wiring...just fascinated by it...I guess these seemed daunting at first but am glad you are easing those fears.

straight6chevyguy 05-13-2019 02:55 PM

The wiring is looking real good Andy!

I all so don't mind doing wiring. (On these old trucks anyway) (Been installing a new fuse block in my station wagon (1971) and it's got a few more wires so it makes it a little harder to figure out)
I don't know if I would be willing to rewire a modern car....

roll_the_dice 05-13-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8524912)
The wiring is looking real good Andy!

I all so don't mind doing wiring. (On these old trucks anyway) (Been installing a new fuse block in my station wagon (1971) and it's got a few more wires so it makes it a little harder to figure out)
I don't know if I would be willing to rewire a modern car....

Thanks, starting to take shape. Just need to clean it up just a little. I would never want to wire a modern car...especially with all the electronics in them.

If it would stop raining, I could get something done.

roll_the_dice 05-13-2019 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my LED bulbs in for the dash today...had to fire it up and take a picture. I got green LEDs except for the "BRIGHT" which I got in red....I love how it looks.

Johns 66 05-13-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8525139)
Got my LED bulbs in for the dash today...had to fire it up and take a picture. I got green LEDs except for the "BRIGHT" which I got in red....I love how it looks.

O M G...ANDY...That looks killer...Where did you get the bulbs?

cwcarpenter98 05-14-2019 10:01 AM

Welp, that green is making me reconsider my stance on my dash lights. Maybe I should get some green LEDs too. Yours look great!

roll_the_dice 05-14-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8525145)
O M G...ANDY...That looks killer...Where did you get the bulbs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8525387)
Welp, that green is making me reconsider my stance on my dash lights. Maybe I should get some green LEDs too. Yours look great!

Thanks! I really like how they look in my den! :D

The only downside is they are not dimmable, but unless they are super bright in the truck, I don't think I care.

The aftermarket tach I bought came with the green LED inside..that is why I chose green also...to match.

I bought them from https://www.superbrightleds.com/

The bulbs I bought were 6 green, and one red.

They also have white if you prefer. The red was just for the headlight "BRIGHT".

straight6chevyguy 05-14-2019 04:22 PM

The LED's look really good Andy.
I would be tempted to put some in my truck but I would want to be able to dim them.(just my personal preference)
But they do look really good!

Johns 66 05-14-2019 05:48 PM

Andy...do you think the tach light could be changed?

roll_the_dice 05-14-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8525602)
Andy...do you think the tach light could be changed?

I am not sure...maybe. I looked at it and there are some screws on the face. Maybe if those were removed you can get to it. However, it isn't obvious how to do it...no bulb holder or anything on the back.

roll_the_dice 05-18-2019 07:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sanded down the bed header today and revealed a lot of the original color...I figured a lot of the white would come off, but not as much as it did. I love it! I did clear coat it, but can't tell in these pics.

Johns 66 05-18-2019 08:06 PM

Looking good Andy!

roll_the_dice 05-19-2019 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my transmission bolted to the engine today...just waiting on my mid shifter to come in. They were on backorder from Speedway. Once that comes in, I will get it mounted and install the engine/trans in the truck!

roll_the_dice 05-19-2019 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gas tank installed...just need to connect new rubber to the metal lines I have running along the frame rail. Moving right along.

kdad 05-19-2019 01:39 PM

Wow great progress Andy. Loving those green LED lights...

roll_the_dice 05-20-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8528188)
Wow great progress Andy. Loving those green LED lights...

Thanks Scott...Slow and steady...right? I really like the gauges, they will probably be the highlight of the interior.

rethinking my fuel lines. My EFI intake and return lines are -6 AN ... I think I am going to run Russell push lock lines and fittings.

Johns 66 05-20-2019 09:34 PM

I like that tank...I tend to like the side fills better. Soon you will have it up and running!!!!