The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Gas Prices? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=819131)

KW5413 11-17-2021 09:13 AM

Re: Gas Prices?

$ 3.12 for regular here yesterday.. $ 3.62 for 93 octane. I run my Denali 6.2, The Queen's Genesis GV70 (3.5 twin turbo), '76 Cutlass and the C 10...all on 93. The (2) modern vehicles are recommended to use Premium. Both the classics have ''built'' 350's so I would never consider using less than 93...wherever available.

FleetsidePaul 11-17-2021 12:34 PM

$5.09 a gallon for premium yesterday when I gassed up my T bird. I put in mid grade 89 it was only $4.93

I'm waiting for delivery of my F450. It's a diesel and I'm dreading the first fill up. I believe that it has a 48 gallon tank. That's going to sting. I only hope it shows up with a full tank but I seriously doubt that it will.

WTH. It beats running out of gas.

Dieselwrencher 11-18-2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8996862)
$5.09 a gallon for premium yesterday when I gassed up my T bird. I put in mid grade 89 it was only $4.93

I'm waiting for delivery of my F450. It's a diesel and I'm dreading the first fill up. I believe that it has a 48 gallon tank. That's going to sting. I only hope it shows up with a full tank but I seriously doubt that it will.

WTH. It beats running out of gas.

Hopefully it has a 8 or 10 speed with double overdrive so the thing isn't living at the top end of the rpm range. Those 450s and 550s are so low geared they just love drinking the fuel and burning up engines. I'm not sure about the 18 up ones. I quit paying attention to them. :mm:

Boog 11-18-2021 08:36 AM

Just reported on the news. Exxon and another oil company are on course to DOUBLE their profits this year. They have said many times their only obligation is to their share holders, not consumers.

57taskforce 11-18-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8997193)
Just reported on the news. Exxon and another oil company are on course to DOUBLE their profits this year. They have said many times their only obligation is to their share holders, not consumers.

Oil is a commodity. Price goes up when supply is low. Your president has nixed a ton of production/future exploration starting January 20 2021. Less production=lower supply=higher price=inherently more profit. Last November and December we were completely energy independent=high supply=Low price=low profit. Now we are dependent on the saudis amongst others for oil which again =low supply=high price=high profit. Oil companies are not directly to blame no matter what you see on the news. I’ve spend several years now working in the oil and gas industry; specifically in production. My company as producer gets paid based on the market, we are NOT CAPABLE of setting our own prices. This BS myth about evil oil companies setting high prices is exactly that; BS. The market sets the price. It’s not rocket science. Currently for the current month of November we are getting paid $83 a barrel for crude oil, and $5.88 per MCF of Natural gas. We own the gas and oil until it leaves our company owned well location/pipelines. Again even though we own the gas until it leaves our locations, we cant dictate what we sell it for. Inflation certainly has a roll in higher prices as well. That again brings us back full circle to the current administration.

BOOG, this isn’t directed at you specifically please don’t take it as such, more an explanation of how oil/gas pricing work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8997169)
Hopefully it has a 8 or 10 speed with double overdrive so the thing isn't living at the top end of the rpm range. Those 450s and 550s are so low geared they just love drinking the fuel and burning up engines. I'm not sure about the 18 up ones. I quit paying attention to them. :mm:

18+ is still the same, we’ve got a couple of 18-21 450’s and 550’s in our fleet at work. They derate the engine and give you gears… and you can certainly tell the difference between a 350 and 450/550 in that dept.

FleetsidePaul 11-18-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8997169)

It'll see less than 1000 miles a year. I don't drive much so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. I looked at a lot of trucks and this one was the cleanest.

Boog 11-18-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8997234)
Oil is a commodity. Price goes up when supply is low. Your president has nixed a ton of production/future exploration starting January 20 2021. Less production=lower supply=higher price=inherently more profit. Last November and December we were completely energy independent=high supply=Low price=low profit. Now we are dependent on the saudis amongst others for oil which again =low supply=high price=high profit. Oil companies are not directly to blame no matter what you see on the news. I’ve spend several years now working in the oil and gas industry; specifically in production. My company as producer gets paid based on the market, we are NOT CAPABLE of setting our own prices. This BS myth about evil oil companies setting high prices is exactly that; BS. The market sets the price. It’s not rocket science. Currently for the current month of November we are getting paid $83 a barrel for crude oil, and $5.88 per MCF of Natural gas. We own the gas and oil until it leaves our company owned well location/pipelines. Again even though we own the gas until it leaves our locations, we cant dictate what we sell it for. Inflation certainly has a roll in higher prices as well. That again brings us back full circle to the current administration.

BOOG, this isn’t directed at you specifically please don’t take it as such, more an explanation of how oil/gas pricing work.

No problem Tyler. I just watch the news. ;)

DeadheadNM 11-18-2021 06:07 PM

"The price of oil dropped Thursday after President Joe Biden reportedly asked big oil buyers such as India and Japan - as well as China for the first time - to consider releasing strategic stockpiles of crude." :banghead:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-reserves.html

57taskforce 11-18-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8997360)
"The price of oil dropped Thursday after President Joe Biden reportedly asked big oil buyers such as India and Japan - as well as China for the first time - to consider releasing strategic stockpiles of crude." :banghead:

I know it’s a huge ass joke huh?

Boog 11-18-2021 06:55 PM

And, reportedly, he asked the FTC to look into whether big oil companies are inflating prices.

Also here we are hovering around 2.99 for regular this week.

Getter-Done 11-18-2021 10:52 PM

While we are on the subject ;)

May I (Quote ) This Guy?

Ya"ll may know him?

Rainbow Stew
Merle Haggard
There's a big, brown cloud in the city

And the countryside's a sin
The price of life is too high to give up
It's gotta come down again
The world wide war is over and done
And the dream of peace comes true
We'll all be drinkin' that free bubble-ubb
And eatin' that rainbow stew
When they find out how to burn water

And the gasoline car is gone
When an airplane flies without any fuel
And the satellite heats our home
But one of these days when the air clears up
And the sun comes shinin' through
Eatin' rainbow stew in a silver spoon

Underneath that sky of blue
You don't have to get high to get happy

Just think about what's in store
When people start doin' what they oughta be doin'
Then they won't be booin' no more
When a President goes through the White House door
Does what he says he'll do

We'll all be drinkin' free bubble-ubb

Boog 11-19-2021 12:36 AM

Sure loved the Hag.

special-K 11-19-2021 06:12 AM

I got around the region a good bit yesterday and noticed about a $.30 fluctuation in prices, all in the same state with the same tax. All this talk about the world and I see the games being played locally

Getter-Done 11-19-2021 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday at speed way
Attachment 2146808

FleetsidePaul 11-19-2021 08:21 AM

$5.09 a gallon on 11/16. Yesterday at the same gas station it was $5.18.

Ol Blue K20 11-19-2021 08:50 AM

The prices are real high here. But, I'm going to stay in my corner and out of trouble.

Dieselwrencher 11-19-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8997360)

It's okay for China to ruin their environment and sell us their oil........... Maybe I'm missing something? :mm: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeadheadNM 11-19-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8997535)
It's okay for China to ruin their environment and sell us their oil........... Maybe I'm missing something? :mm: :lol: :lol: :lol:

“China is making a mockery of climate targets as it announced plans to build more coal-fired power plants and increase oil and gas exploration, just weeks ahead of the COP26 summit where world leaders were expected to agree to ambitious emission cuts.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stations.html

Ol Blue K20 11-19-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8997548)
“China is making a mockery of climate targets as it announced plans to build more coal-fired power plants and increase oil and gas exploration, just weeks ahead of the COP26 summit where world leaders were expected to agree to ambitious emission cuts.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stations.html

We all share the same atmosphere.......:mm:

truckin 79 11-19-2021 12:59 PM

I will wade into this and say that a President has very little impact on gas prices short term, supply and demand does with a large part of influence by OPEC. The one thing a President can do is release oil reserves in the short term as the current President did and also the previous President did in 2019. As much oil and gas reserves we have in the US, middle east countries can produce a barrel of oil cheaper. They do not have to drill sideways under mountains or by peoples backyards. If OPEC wants to flood the market with cheaper crude then thats what they will do and was able to drive some smaller oil companies out of business. If OPEC wants to inflate prices they produce less oil. Also during the pandemic there was less need for gas and thus less truck drivers to fill those gas stations so many were laid off. It takes a special license to deliver fuel to gas stations and that caused a shortage in qualified drivers, another factor. Gas prices actually started to rise in May of 2020 once agian who are you going to blame, not the President but supply and demand with a helping hand from OPEC.

KW5413 11-19-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8997375)
And, reportedly, he asked the FTC to look into whether big oil companies are inflating prices.

Also here we are hovering around 2.99 for regular this week.

That request(?) looks like smoke blowing to me. Trying to deflect the hits he's taking for his energy policy.

KW5413 11-19-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckin 79 (Post 8997606)
I will wade into this and say that a President has very little impact on gas prices short term, supply and demand does with a large part of influence by OPEC. The one thing a President can do is release oil reserves in the short term as the current President did and also the previous President did in 2019. As much oil and gas reserves we have in the US, middle east countries can produce a barrel of oil cheaper. They do not have to drill sideways under mountains or by peoples backyards. If OPEC wants to flood the market with cheaper crude then thats what they will do and was able to drive some smaller oil companies out of business. If OPEC wants to inflate prices they produce less oil. Also during the pandemic there was less need for gas and thus less truck drivers to fill those gas stations so many were laid off. It takes a special license to deliver fuel to gas stations and that caused a shortage in qualified drivers, another factor. Gas prices actually started to rise in May of 2020 once agian who are you going to blame, not the President but supply and demand with a helping hand from OPEC.

It doesn't take long for POTUS policies to impact pricing...one way or the other. No matter who is POTUS. Hell, all the markets have to hear is simultaneous farts and sneezes...and it goes nuts. Hurricane, pipe line closed, drilling reduced, a bird flies north instead of south...doesn't take much. So, yeah a POTUS can, and does, impact impact short-term pricing.

But, overall it is a supply and demand thing. Oil field workers were laid off in 2020 and parts of 2021 due to the pandemic. Which had a HUGE # of normally commuting work force staying at home. Not to mention those that just flat out lost their jobs. Aviation fuels took a dive along with many other fuel based items. That's why your fuel prices dropped so much.

Well...our economy has come back pretty hard and fast. Now production is up and people are back on the road and planes are flying. Those that want jobs seem to have them.

It is always a vicious circle.

KW5413 11-19-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

This is what actually happened in 2019:

"President Donald Trump said Sunday he has authorized the release of oil from the U.S. strategic petroleum reserve after attacks on key production facilities in Saudi Arabia cut the kingdom’s crude production by half.

Trump said oil would be released if needed to keep the market well supplied. The president also said that he has informed the appropriate agencies to expedite the approval of oil pipelines still in the permitting process in Texas and other states."

Then, approximately 6 months later, in 2020, ordered all of the US Fuel Reserves to be "Topped-Off".

BTW: Regular Gas today, here, is at $ 3.09.

DeadheadNM 11-19-2021 11:09 PM

“About 1.6 million barrels of crude from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve -- a monthly record -- was shipped out in October, according to data from market intelligence firm Kpler. Three cargoes were loaded onto a supertanker in the U.S. Gulf Coast and are headed to Asia.”

https://www.bloombergquint.com/marke...-mulls-release

davischevy 11-19-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8997776)
“About 1.6 million barrels of crude from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve -- a monthly record -- was shipped out in October, according to data from market intelligence firm Kpler. Three cargoes were loaded onto a supertanker in the U.S. Gulf Coast and are headed to Asia.”

https://www.bloombergquint.com/marke...-mulls-release

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/marke...-mulls-release
Copyright © BloombergQuint

"The White House has been mulling a range of options to ease soaring pump prices and Democrats are pressing for a potential ban on oil exports as well as the release of crude from the nation’s strategic reserves."

The last paragraph from that article. Who are they pressing? Don't they have all the power?

LONGHAIR 11-20-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

That was only the case when we needed their oil. In the last few years, when the US became energy independent, using our own oil, OPEC production meant nothing. Biden stopping the pipeline and the drilling on federal land in the first week in office caused all of it.
The trucking issues are not so concrete. I'm thinking the Covid lockdowns had to be at least part of it. All it would take is some of them losing their trucks or businesses, enough of the older ones to just thrown in the towel and retire, etc. and the total volume of drivers drops.

special-K 11-20-2021 10:11 AM

This is the first post in this thread back in March:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8888836)
Have seen this on a few other sites I am on and am just asking as a curiosity from state to state what everyone is paying per gallon. Locally for 87 octane late December '20 our per gallon price was $1.99. Since the first of the year it has now risen to $2.59 for 87 octane. Just a bit curious what other members here pay. I'm sure there are some higher and a few lower, always works that way.

PLEASE: Do not turn this into a politically charged thread. It will get shut down in a hurry and that is NOT my desire or intention. Just would like to know what others have to pay out of their pocket to enjoy driving real American Classic iron. My '71 4x4 truck on a good day gets maybe 11.5 to 12.0 gpm, my '71 Chevelle maybe 15.5-16 gpm and my '57 with the 283 and 2x4s, not very much at all, LOL. But I do enjoy driving them all. Guess for the most part rather than miles per gallon when driving any of the three it is more in the case of SMILES per gallon.

LockDoc 11-20-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8997886)
This is the first post in this thread back in March:

I'd say it's a little late for that....

Just my 2¢ worth.

Boog 11-20-2021 12:54 PM

But you know Leon, there isn't much of anything you can talk about that doesn't have some bit of government involvement in it some where along the line.
The key is being able to have a conversation about something without ending up throwing rocks at each other. ;)

LockDoc 11-20-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8997970)
But you know Leon, there isn't much of anything you can talk about that doesn't have some bit of government involvement in it some where along the line.
The key is being able to have a conversation about something without ending up throwing rocks at each other. ;)

The problem is, and you will notice it in this thread, that with every page the politics creep in a little more and get a little bolder. Before you know it the mods and administrators will have a full blown bashfest on their hands. I've seen it happen more than once. That is exactly why the Administrators have banned discussion about politics and the other topics that are not allowed.

Since Tim is participating in this thread I will leave it up to him to moderate it. That's all I have to say.....

LockDoc

Ol Blue K20 11-20-2021 03:51 PM

:barn:If anyone needs me, I'll be in my corner....:exit::barn:

Boog 11-20-2021 04:10 PM

Don't run off now. We may need a front man. :lol:

Boog 11-20-2021 04:32 PM

Dale has left the building.....

Stocker 11-20-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8998020)
Dale has left the building.....

.....and he's enjoying a cold barley pop. Smart man! ;)

Ironhorse 11-20-2021 07:06 PM

Well since I first posted this way back in March of this year we've made it to 10 pages of replies with a few hints and references leaning to the political side. Hope we can continue price postings across the country and not be shut down and sent to a corner. Believe me it's hard not to mention ones thoughts as to just what is the main cause of higher gas prices but really am hoping we can maintain the open thread without a shutdown.

BAD1916 11-20-2021 08:28 PM

Just installed a dual tank setup in my 71 Suburban. I put 7 gallons in it and then drove to fill it up. At $4.69 a gallon for 91 it took 38 gallons and $190. That one hurt a bit��

FleetsidePaul 11-21-2021 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8997988)

Since Tim is participating in this thread I will leave it up to him to moderate it. That's all I have to say.....

LockDoc

You're leaving Tim in charge? God what has the world come to? :lol:

special-K 11-21-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8998167)
You're leaving Tim in charge? God what has the world come to? :lol:

I'll try my best to do as good a job as you would, Paul :eek:

Let's just keep with the original theme of prices and affects since it's hard to talk about the oil industry without it involving politics, these days or any other days.

davischevy 11-21-2021 02:27 PM

So now we have Tim meeting Paul's standards.

I'm not sure gas prices are the biggest problem any more.:lol::lol:

dieseldawg142 11-21-2021 03:16 PM

gas last week was $1.46 a liter ($5.52 a gal)
then we had a massive flood after a foot of rain in 30 hrs, plus a bunch of snow melted off the surrounding mountains. ALL roads leading to our town were literally destroyed and food and gas ran out. our town was out of gas for 3 days, but i found one a-hole on the outskirts that had a bit of fuel left, and the money grubber was selling it for $1.65 a liter ($6.24 a gal)
now go times $6.24 by the 40 gals in my crewcab......then i burned up half of it helping e-vac my buddy and his family. i got lucky, i'm right at the edge of the flood, him not so, his farm ended up 6-8 feet under water after the dike broke.
we got him out as the valley was flooding. emergency personel weren't letting anyone into the flood, but they let me as they thought my truck might make it.
i personally hope that this a-hole taking advantage of a disaster goes out of business after things go back to normal
the guvment has put the southern half of BC on fuel rations, 8 gals a day till about dec 1 or 2. only good thing they did was force what little gas gets thru is mandate that it be sold at pre-flood prices...