The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   FAQ Truck Tech (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   SoCal checkin' in (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655965)

jbclassix 04-28-2013 09:20 PM

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Hopped up. What axle do you have? If you have the Eaton 3/4T I may be able to help you out.
Posted via Mobile Device

captnblood34 04-28-2013 10:16 PM

New to the boards checking in from SD. 69 SWB Stepper. It was falling prey to a couple orange trees and avacado trees for quite awhile, so she's a rescue! It's in pieces in the garage but my ECE 4/6 drop and all new steering linkage will be here this week. rocking the Straight 6 because its awesome, and I don't want to hit the pump on a daily basis. Hooker long true dual headers, holley 390, offenhauser alum. intake. Taking the engine to TJ for a full rebuild...flat top pistons and mild cam and all new internals. Any guidance as far as what rebuild kit to get??? Planning on the CPP BIG Brake kit as well, any reason why I shouldn't? Oh, and I'm going to rock the patina look for a bit too. Thanks for reading,

Jay

hopped up 04-28-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 6040131)
Hopped up. What axle do you have? If you have the Eaton 3/4T I may be able to help you out.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks alot man but i have a 12 bolt
Posted via Mobile Device

jbclassix 04-28-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 6040304)
thanks alot man but i have a 12 bolt
Posted via Mobile Device

Bummer. Sorry.

VDOG 04-28-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captnblood34 (Post 6040267)
New to the boards checking in from SD. 69 SWB Stepper. It was falling prey to a couple orange trees and avacado trees for quite awhile, so she's a rescue! Any guidance as far as what rebuild kit to get??? Planning on the CPP BIG Brake kit as well, any reason why I shouldn't? Oh, and I'm going to rock the patina look for a bit too. Thanks for reading,
Jay

Welcome to the board and to the SoCal page. Now let me ask what size wheels are you going to run? I think that kit starts at 15 inch or bigger. Someone else can chime in on this if im wrong. When you get a chance, post some pics up of your truck. Also there are a lot of us here thats in the same boat so hit us up. You never know someone my have what you need.
We have a few members in your area so if you search this post, you might find a neighbor.

VWNate1 04-29-2013 08:27 AM

WELCOME Jay ! :chevy: .

The I-6 is dead simple to overhaul your own self and you'll prolly do a better job than any Garage because you care .

Make sure whomever does your cylinder head rebuilding , replaces ALL the valve guides with bronze ones , the entire head including new guides and stellite valve seats should be under $300 .

A properly built 250 will easily chirp the tires so be wary of " racing " cams as they tend to make it very sluggish off a dead stop .

These sturdy engines are fairly long stroke so they don't like to be revved a lot like the V-8's do .

Either way , be sure to punch out all the old block freeze plugs and replace them with brass ones , only a few $ more but the brass ones will never rust out .

jbclassix 04-29-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captnblood34 (Post 6040267)
New to the boards checking in from SD. 69 SWB Stepper. It was falling prey to a couple orange trees and avacado trees for quite awhile, so she's a rescue! It's in pieces in the garage but my ECE 4/6 drop and all new steering linkage will be here this week. rocking the Straight 6 because its awesome, and I don't want to hit the pump on a daily basis. Hooker long true dual headers, holley 390, offenhauser alum. intake. Taking the engine to TJ for a full rebuild...flat top pistons and mild cam and all new internals. Any guidance as far as what rebuild kit to get??? Planning on the CPP BIG Brake kit as well, any reason why I shouldn't? Oh, and I'm going to rock the patina look for a bit too. Thanks for reading,

Jay

OH! TJ! I get it! The next town south right? On a tight budget I used PAW for my last rebuild. Welcome to the board!

captnblood34 04-29-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 6040461)
Welcome to the board and to the SoCal page. Now let me ask what size wheels are you going to run? I think that kit starts at 15 inch or bigger. Someone else can chime in on this if im wrong. When you get a chance, post some pics up of your truck. Also there are a lot of us here thats in the same boat so hit us up. You never know someone my have what you need.
We have a few members in your area so if you search this post, you might find a neighbor.

I was going to run a deep rim 18 front and 20 rear. I normally would have thought it to look too lowrider for my liking but I've seen that set up with the 5 spoke rally and it is IMO good looking. I'll hook up front and rear sway bars as well right off the bat just so I know it will handle A+++. Ill post some pics of what I've got so far here soon.

Im trying to do it right and set up small gols for myself and right now its suspension while the engine is sent off. Im a mech myself but I live in base housing where Im not really even supposed to have this project, or otherwise I would do the rebuild myself.

Currently there are no aspirations to clean up the body, really trying to piece together the suspension, brakes, engine components, and at least get it rolling. If your my neighbor rodger up and come check out my build so far!

Jay

VDOG 04-30-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captnblood34 (Post 6042384)
I was going to run a deep rim 18 front and 20 rear. Ill post some pics of what I've got so far here soon.
Currently there are no aspirations to clean up the body, really trying to piece together the suspension, brakes, engine components, and at least get it rolling. If your my neighbor rodger up and come check out my build so far!
Jay

I was actually thinking of running 18's 20 combination on my longbed. So that would be a nice setup. Im your neighbor 2 1/2 hours away. LOL
It is a few on here that are in the SD area. Since your engine is out, I would say do your suspension now while its out.

C0UCH 04-30-2013 03:12 PM

Not exactly SoCal but crossposting from another California forum I'm on. Guy selling his 1970 to help out his wife. Looks like a good cause and a clean looking truck.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=744218

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x...316_142727.jpg

JOHNORO 05-02-2013 03:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Prom Queen getting some attention in a white room.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Schwinn 05-02-2013 03:45 PM

Both looking greeeaaaat

VDOG 05-02-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNORO (Post 6047970)
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

WTH!!!

Details Please! :metal:

ItsRandy 05-02-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

She almost scratched it with her heel!

cashusclay89 05-03-2013 12:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. New to the board here so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Clay, I live in Signal hil,ca and I'm the proud owner of a 71 C20 LWB. Here are a few pictures of the ole gal.

JOHNORO 05-03-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwinn (Post 6047980)
Both looking greeeaaaat

Thanks Schwinny
Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 6048557)
WTH!!!

Details Please! :metal:

Not really much to tell,
I have a friend who had a few hours
in a white room, I was happy to comply.. the Betty was a Bonus ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6048997)
She almost scratched it with her heel!

Nothing that wouldn't buff out :haha:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

KevsClassics 05-03-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Very Nice. :smoke:

VWNate1 05-03-2013 09:00 AM

WELCOME CLAY ! :chevy: .

You'll find the good folks here collectively know any answer to any question no matter how mundane so ask away .

What's the plan for your rig ? .

Hot Rod ?

Boulevard Cruiser ? .

Restoration ? .

Beater Work Truck ? .

People always ask me if I'm a Journeyman Mechanic , why do I always seem to have a Carpenter's Hammer nearby =8-) .

VDOG 05-03-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNORO (Post 6049102)
Thanks Schwinny

Not really much to tell,
I have a friend who had a few hours
in a white room, I was happy to comply.. the Betty was a Bonus ;)

Nothing that wouldn't buff out :haha:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Is Betty the new mascot of the C-10 Club? :lol:

cashusclay89 05-03-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 6049422)
WELCOME CLAY ! :chevy: .

You'll find the good folks here collectively know any answer to any question no matter how mundane so ask away .

What's the plan for your rig ? .

Hot Rod ?

Boulevard Cruiser ? .

Restoration ? .

Beater Work Truck ? .

People always ask me if I'm a Journeyman Mechanic , why do I always seem to have a Carpenter's Hammer nearby =8-) .

Its actually a funny story about how I came up on my rig. I was living with my GF in Inglewood and I met a guy 2 doors down that was into VW. One day we were driving to get some dennys as we always do and we passed by the truck (it was a primered daily driver at the time) with a for sale sign. My buddy had been talking about getting a pickup just to go to the junkyard maybe tow the bug some where basically just a beater. I tired to convince him how good these trucks look when you put some time into them but he didnt really seem to care long story short we hit the owner up and was surprised he only wanted 1500 for it so my buddy bought it. after 2 years of sitting in his driveway after a successful PS conversion and stripped crankbolt he was force to get rid of it. thats where i came in basically he gave me the truck knowing i'd take good care of it and only wanted me to pay to have it towed to my house (40miles=230$)

so now it sits with the engine completely torn down with slight pitting in one cylinder from the engine being poorly stored. Stripped crank bolt fixed just have to clean the one hole and assemble everything drop in a turn the key.

plans are to drop it static for now and bags later or static front and rear bag
18"front 20" rear and have a tan/black paint and interior

JOHNORO 05-03-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 6049860)
Is Betty the new mascot of the C-10 Club? :lol:

Mascot is a little harsh, so lets just say C/10CLUB Groupie. . :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

VWNate1 05-03-2013 04:40 PM

Re: ' Harsh '

I don't see how it could be harsh .

In any case , she's cute and has great style .

:chevy:

JOHNORO 05-05-2013 03:56 PM

Re: ' Harsh '

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 6050195)
I don't see how it could be harsh .

In any case , she's cute and has great style .

:chevy:

I will pass along the compliment Nate,
Posted via Mobile Device

JOHNORO 05-05-2013 04:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Did a drive by Relaxing in So Cal Show, didn't plan on staying but
I spotted a couple of C/10's with no Club decals and was like what ??
Posted via Mobile Device

JOHNORO 05-05-2013 04:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Mas..
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device