The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Decal Replacement/77 Chevy Sport? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=495788)

tomcatchevy 01-07-2022 05:13 AM

Re: Decal Replacement/77 Chevy Sport?

4 Attachment(s)
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for info on the stripe package as well. I have my dad's old 77 Chevy Sport still (needs extensive restoration) and can't seem to find much about it. I did see that someone mentioned it being somewhat rare. Mine is a 4x4 silver fleetside with the 400. The only other one I've seen in person was one in white.

allchevy58 01-08-2022 12:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice, wish I would have kept 77' Chevy Sport I bought brand new, I still have my dad 76' Chevy Sport. You might have to paint them on, my dad had his repaint, they did the stripes a little different.

tomcatchevy 01-11-2022 12:10 PM

I think my dad's were painted on too back in the early 80's. If I remember correctly his truck was a repo and it had been rolled at some point and rebuilt/repainted without the stripes. He noticed the roof leaking and discovered holes that had been bondo'd over. Turns out it they were clearance light holes on a 1 ton cab so he knocked out the bondo and added the proper lights. He was a trucker and added lights everywhere on it. Everyone called it the Christmas Tree.

LT7A 01-11-2022 05:59 PM

Interesting, varied approach to this process. It sounds like a couple of the guys got really close, especially one that had his own graphics shop. Maybe they are so happy with their finished trucks that they are driving them all the time and never came back to tell us or show us, haha. It sure seems that with today's technology the stripes would be reproducible. Even from the pictures on this thread. the funny thing about trying to get them exactly right is that there were probably some variations of what was produced at the time, and UV would have its own effect. So using Pantone colors to stand in for what is shown on the pictures is going to get somebody very close. Especially, who is going to pull up next to it in an original truck and prove that they did it wrong, haha? Not that I don't value authenticity, but sometimes getting as close as you can with the information available gives you something that is totally worth having, driving, and even taking to shows. Good luck to all of you guys who are still pursuing this.

chrismoore701 01-12-2022 08:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is mine, before and after. I do wish I would have gone back original, but the stripes would not be easy to reproduce, especially with the word SPORT on the rear fenders. I am happy with the final results

Misled 01-14-2022 10:16 PM

The avenue I thought would work would be someone "connected" at GM who could find original specs from GM or whoever they subcontracted to (3M, etc)

I would think that there are archived drawings and color codes in a file drawer somewhere.

chrismoore701 01-17-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misled (Post 9019360)
The avenue I thought would work would be someone "connected" at GM who could find original specs from GM or whoever they subcontracted to (3M, etc)

I would think that there are archived drawings and color codes in a file drawer somewhere.

Did you check out the GM Heritage Center?

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/

I got my build sheet for my 79 sport there, but never asked them about stripes

77 ChevySport 01-18-2022 03:40 PM

Hello To All from 77 Chevy Sport (The one that started this thread) a long
time ago. Still have my All Original Sport (Stored now for Winter>Don't ask to see it) My try
to sell it in Hemmings this Summer or just just keep it. If for sale I wonder
what the asking price should be? Inflation has really influenced the prices of
old Classic Cars and Trucks as seen last week at Mecum Kissimmee Auction.
All-Original (#1 Condition)old Chevy trucks with all Documention are now at 30K+. Corvettes/Camaro's/
Mustangs are just plain out of sight now. Thoughs/Comments? Thanks again
for the interest. :chevy:

tomcatchevy 01-19-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 ChevySport (Post 9021067)
Hello To All from 77 Chevy Sport (The one that started this thread) a long
time ago. Still have my All Original Sport (Stored now for Winter>Don't ask to see it) My try
to sell it in Hemmings this Summer or just just keep it. If for sale I wonder
what the asking price should be? Inflation has really influenced the prices of
old Classic Cars and Trucks as seen last week at Mecum Kissimmee Auction.
All-Original (#1 Condition)old Chevy trucks with all Documention are now at 30K+. Corvettes/Camaro's/
Mustangs are just plain out of sight now. Thoughs/Comments? Thanks again
for the interest. :chevy:

I hope you decide to keep your sport or at least find someone who realizes how rare they seem to be and gives it the love it deserves. It is a sweet looking truck that I would love to own. I've got lots of memories tied up in my dad's old sport and desperately want to restore it so my kids can experience it too.