The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Old Blue, 1965 C10, Rebuild Version 2010 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=372424)

SCOTI 01-30-2012 11:20 PM

Re: Project Old Blue, 1965 C10, Rebuild Version 2010

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5156848)
Yeah that angled one is a PITA, really messes with my OCD where I think everything should be symmetrical and align right up.

Cannot wait to see what you do here, as it is not too late for me to mod mine just yet.

Same here. But, I considered that it (the x-member) 'counters' the angle that the Panhard bar is as so the angles offset each other :lol: .

aggie91 02-08-2012 05:24 PM

Still working on the new PHB and mounts. I ordered my rod ends and threaded inserts and should have them early next week. I still need to mock up my brackets and make sure it all looks right before welding anything together for the final time. If my cardboard templates look right, then I will make the steel brackets and should have them done before the rod ends come in. Once this is done, then it is onto rear shock mounting...

McMurphy 02-08-2012 07:49 PM

Hey Aggie, every once in a while I will re-read the first post in people's threads and just did yours.
Where are your side view mirrors?

aggie91 02-09-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5175430)
Hey Aggie, ...Where are your side view mirrors?

Never put any on after we painted it back in the early 90's. It past local state inspection about 2 or 3 times before it was parked...guess I did not need them...

It did make it a little more difficult to drive, but I think that it looked good without them.

The next time its on the road it will have aleast one on the driver's side.

McMurphy 02-09-2012 04:31 PM

I cannot live without them personally! I even bought a NOS mirror for the p-side of my Tempest. Seems back then they didnt start putting mirrors on both sides until 69-ish??
Off topic but another odd thing about my Tempest is it doesnt have seat belts, those were still an option back then too.
Go figure.

aggie91 05-26-2012 09:58 PM

Well it has been a good while since I posted on here. I have not really worked on this one much. I had a major set back in March. I was let go where I worked for a "restructuring" of the management of the location that I was at. I was not the only one, but it was a COMPLETE suprise and shock to me. Anyway, I have been job hunting since then and have not had much luck since I am not willing to move from Longview at this time. With my oldest in high school, I just do not feel like making him start over some where new. I have a few good leads and had a couple of good interviews this past week. Hopefully it will turn into something good.

When we came to realize the job market here was not so good, we decided to open up a small metal fab shop in Longview. I have the doors open and have been working hard to bring in jobs. I will have a CNC plasma table delivered next week and should be able to get more going with that machine. If I end up taking a position with a local company, we will keep the shop open and work it in the evenings and weekends. The shop is large enough that we moved Korbin's truck overthere and will be doing its build there. We have the motor and trans mocked up in the frame, but waiting to do the mounts when we get the plasma table. During all this other crap, my wife got sick and had surgery about 2 weeks ago, the blessing is that I was not working and could stay home and take care of her and the kids to and from school since we do not have family near by. Thank GOD for good friends, I had help with the kids the day she had surgery, and we had a few bring us dinner a couple of nights after Kristi got out of the hospital.

I have gotten the panhard mount done for the frame side and the link bar is mostly done. I have to finish the trailing arm mount then cut the link bar to length and finish welding. I will finish that up after getting my new toy...

School is out for the summer, my kids did real well and my wife is happy it is over for a few months. She recovered quickly from the surgery and was off work too for the last 2 weeks of school. We got to spend some good quality time together.

Anyway, I hope the next few months are better then the last few and look forward to a new direction in my career...stay tuned...

McMurphy 05-28-2012 04:03 PM

Wow, sorry to hear life threw you such a loop!
They say everything happens for a reason, and some people never focus on their true calling until work force labor life kicks them in the teeth.... Perhaps this shop is what you were always meant to do?

Good luck man!
I miss your build, I learned a lot from your thread !

SCOTI 05-28-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5401636)
School is out for the summer, my kids did real well and my wife is happy it is over for a few months. She recovered quickly from the surgery and was off work too for the last 2 weeks of school. We got to spend some good quality time together.

Anyway, I hope the next few months are better then the last few and look forward to a new direction in my career...stay tuned...

Wow, life sure seems to pile it on sometimes. Glad to hear the Mrs. came out of surgery ok & had a quick recovery. Good to see the boys are maintaining their focus as well.

Lets hope the 2nd half of '12 is better than the first....

Captainfab 05-28-2012 11:27 PM

:agree:

I know it seems so unfair at times when life dumps a double dose of crap on some of us. I sincerely hope things begin to improve substantially for you and your family.

BTW. What plasma table did you purchase?

daverod 05-29-2012 09:30 AM

Sorry about the job. It's hard enough building a truck when you have $$. Hopefully this economny will pick up and your shop will do good.:mm:

aggie91 05-30-2012 08:06 AM

Thanks guys...I has been a tough few months, on top of all that stuff I have had my push mower, riding mower, weed eater, and microwave all break. Yesterday my AC unit on my house died. It was 92 here yesterday and the house was hot. That is getting replaced on Friday. Seems like everything that I own is breaking down at the worst possible time...:waah:

On the bright side, I ran into the HR manager at a local company I applied to and recently had interviews for a Manufacturing Engineer position. He told me he was working on something for me and I should hear something in the next day or so. Hopefully it will be something good.

BTW - Captain, I purchsed an EZ Router ACP 4'x8' table with a Thermodynamics plazma. EZ Router is in Mineola, TX just about a hour from me.

l79m20 06-14-2012 04:58 PM

good luck....gotta love the ride life has for us!

aggie91 06-14-2012 11:30 PM

Thanks for the support!

Good News!! I recieved and accepted an offer from the local company (Joy Global) as a Manufacturing Engineer. It is a step back in overall responsibility, but back to my roots of my career. The company is well established and recently has approved about $40 million for improvements and additions to the facilities here in Longview. I start on Monday. I am looking forward to this new direction in my professional career.

I also recieved my new plasma table yesterday and spent today getting set up and put together. I had one small issue and ez Router took care of it quickly. I only need to run my 50 amp circuit for the plasma machine. I have the parts and will do that in the morning. I have some 1/4" plate already and will cut some parts tomorrow! First parts will be LS motor mounts for my son's project.

Here are some pictures of the machine:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/100_3865.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/100_3864.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/100_3863.jpg

SCOTI 06-15-2012 08:16 AM

Man, I don't know what it is but you're sure looking better these days.... Have you been working out? ;) :lol:

FRENCHBLUE72 06-15-2012 12:47 PM

Congrats on the new job...... Cant wait to see ya cut some plate with the new toy..

McMurphy 06-15-2012 03:24 PM

That plasma cutter is a thing of beauty! Ohhh what I would do with one of those !
Rock on man :metal:

made2drag 08-21-2012 05:39 PM

any new pics of progress?

aggie91 10-02-2012 01:08 PM

No pic's yet but have made some progress on the truck. Most of my time has been working at Joy Global and football ball started for my 5th grader. My Fab business with the plasma has not done well mostly since I now work 40+ hours M-F. I really enjoy my new job, but wish my side business was doing better. While I have the plasma, I have been making some parts for my projects. For this one, I made a mid mount altenator bracket set, and a mount for the pan hard on the trailing arm. I have also made some air bag plates for the front and rear for the next phase of this build.

This past weekend, my boys and I spent some time at the shop on Korbin's truck and Owen's go kart. While we were there, I got some time on my trailing arms. Korbin Welded up the boxing plates I made for the ends and welded on the pan hard bar mount to the right side arm. Next we are goning to skip weld the seam to stiffen up the arm. I'll try to get some pictures next time we go to the shop.

aggie91 10-31-2012 10:30 AM

Here is a picture of the PHB mount on the passenger side trailing arm. We will also add a shock mount to this boxed area. We might do something like Porterbuilts cross bar mount. I don't know yet. Most of the effort is going into Korbin's truck.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...1F08303197.jpg

Mine is just getting kicked along with my left foot as time and opportunity allows...

Owen is playing in the division championship game for our 5th grade football league on Saturday. We win that one and it is off to the 5th Grade Super Bowl. We are working the kids hard this week. We have the kids to win it all we just need to prepare them for 2 tough games.

aggie91 12-02-2012 12:01 AM

Well, we moved my truck to the shop with Korbin's. I got a 10 bolt disc brake rear end from a camaro/firebird that is already set up for the trailing arms. I got it from member tex_waco_usmc, Chris. Great guy and had a great time talking to him when we met to get the rearend.

Owen did not win his last football game, so we did not go to the league Super Bowl. That's OK, we got to go hunting the weekend that the game would have been. That morning he got his first buck. He was out with my Dad when he shot him. Its a good sized 9 point white tail. It was about a 1/2" short on one tine of being a legal 10 point. All in all a good weekend.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...DD7F0B067F.jpg

Once I swap in this new rear, I will finish the brakes and then the fuel system is next on the list. We did get Korbin's truck to a rolling chassis state so we made good progress...

daverod 12-02-2012 12:26 AM

looks like a happy kid

aggie91 12-31-2012 07:31 PM

Well on the trip where Owen got his deer, I scored a rear end out of a Camaro/Firebird with disc brakes that I will be putting in my truck. I need to get a measurement off a stock truck but not in a big rush. Looking forward to the new year and making a few changes in my life and hobby.

Main focus now is to finish a go kart for Owen and finish Korbin's truck before working on mine. We have a new goal for Korbin's truck to have it running/driving by GG's show in March at TMS. He wants to take it around the autocross on Sunday if they allow newer model vehicles in like they did this year.

Hope everyone had a great 2012 and looking forward to a outstanding 2013!

aggie91 03-03-2013 02:39 PM

Well, yesterday while I was working on Korbin's truck, Owen helped me out on this one. He started wire wheeling the floor to get the rust off. He got some done and says he will finish for me. Once he is done, I'll spray Eastwoods Rust Convertor and then coat that with their Rust Encapsulator paint. That should hold it untill I get to work on the rust repair of the floor and rockers. Thanks Owen!
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...psb67c1265.jpg

aggie91 07-04-2013 09:24 AM

Happy July 4th!

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps9c95f19f.jpg

Jmorales3181 07-07-2013 06:22 PM

Sorry to see your truck had been vandalized it looked really clean.... Haters!
Atleast you have a second chance to do it all over again. Read the build you are doing with your son too! Love seeing father son builds. Keep at it man!
Posted via Mobile Device