The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 57 Pro Street (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=283107)

CAL 58 GMC 11-17-2009 08:18 PM

Re: My 57 Pro Street

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 3623535)
I posted about that in my build thread. I could not figure out how every 55-59 I saw with the fenders off was beat in that area. My fenders had never been off and one side was hammered a little the other quite a bit. I read somewhere that the inside stamping was drawn and tooled wrong, someone had not taken into consideration interference with the fender brace (or it may have been beefed up during design). Rather than retool they just issued the fender install guys on the line a 2# adjustment tool. So if yours is beat, don't work to hard making it pretty because you will probably just get to pound down your new paint again. Look close at my cab photos and you will see the dents still there on mine.

Now that you mention it mine had those same dents, I just thought it must have be from an accident at some point in it's life. Sorry Kim for jumping in on your thread!

Kim57 11-21-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC (Post 3625507)
Now that you mention it mine had those same dents, I just thought it must have be from an accident at some point in it's life. Sorry Kim for jumping in on your thread!

It's OK. The info is welcome.
Kim

chevyrestoguy 11-22-2009 01:35 PM

Kim-
I'm going throught the same thing right now with aligning my doors. I thought my situation was unique. I had considered cutting my cage nuts loose on my upperhinges and relocating them more outboard so the top of the door could move outward and get the door's front edge and cowl more aligned. But, that would cause issues on everything forward of that gap. The fenders and the hood wouldn't line up, and you'd wind up having to add metal at all of your gaps in order to close them up. I'm an probably going to align the doors as best as possible, and then do bodywork to make everything look right. I did a shop tour at Boyd's years ago when he was in the old shop, and they were working on Cadzilla for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. They got the doors as best they could by aligning and then closing up the gaps with sheet metal and welding rods, then they did a 36" sweep of filler from top to bottom at all of the door gaps and blocked the area until the gaps were consistent and the panel intersections were flat and even. I'm a stickler about panel gaps, and that amount of work that they did gave me a real appreciation of what it takes to make it look right.

Kim57 11-22-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 3633131)
Kim-
I'm going throught the same thing right now with aligning my doors. I thought my situation was unique. I had considered cutting my cage nuts loose on my upperhinges and relocating them more outboard so the top of the door could move outward and get the door's front edge and cowl more aligned. But, that would cause issues on everything forward of that gap. The fenders and the hood wouldn't line up, and you'd wind up having to add metal at all of your gaps in order to close them up. I'm an probably going to align the doors as best as possible, and then do bodywork to make everything look right. I did a shop tour at Boyd's years ago when he was in the old shop, and they were working on Cadzilla for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. They got the doors as best they could by aligning and then closing up the gaps with sheet metal and welding rods, then they did a 36" sweep of filler from top to bottom at all of the door gaps and blocked the area until the gaps were consistent and the panel intersections were flat and even. I'm a stickler about panel gaps, and that amount of work that they did gave me a real appreciation of what it takes to make it look right.

I was talking to a body guy that took over one of the buildings that Boyd was in after he died (he's doing my brothers truck). He told me that these old vehicles are like that. Some things fit nice and some are way off. My passenger side is way better than the driver side. I took some measurements this weekend and it looks like the cowl was installed almost a 1/4" low on the driver side. I'm thinking about cutting it where it is supposed to line up with the fender and raising it. It's either that or lots of body filler in that area which is what was there when I bought it. The driver door is also wider at the top than the passenger opening. I guess the guy on that side was having a bad day.
Kim

Fat Mike 11-24-2009 03:10 PM

Can you show a picture of the graft of your subframe up close and the rear part of your cab. It looks like you shaved it. My rear cab is alittle beat up and I like the idea.

Kim57 11-25-2009 01:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Mike (Post 3637093)
Can you show a picture of the graft of your subframe up close and the rear part of your cab. It looks like you shaved it. My rear cab is alittle beat up and I like the idea.

Hope these help. If you need any more just ask.
I used 16 gauge on the back of the cab.
Kim

OrrieG 11-25-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 3633658)
I guess the guy on that side was having a bad day.
Kim

Monday morning assembly vehicle...

1Bad62Pro/Street 01-03-2010 03:25 PM

Here is a little inspiration for your 57 Kim!
Yep... I finally found a video clip of the Beast.
http://image.sporttruck.com/f/109429...side+owner.jpg
http://image.automotive.com/f/featur...cide_doors.jpg

1956 Chevy Truck - Double-Stacked Lightnin'
http://sporttruck.automotive.com/920...uck/index.html

FRENCHBLUE72 01-03-2010 04:28 PM

I have seen this truck at the portland roadster show and it is awesome for sure..

Kim57 01-03-2010 06:59 PM

That's a very cool truck.
Kim

Kim57 01-21-2010 04:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made a little progress on getting the brackets for the brakes mounted.
The pics are pretty self explanatory.
I cut the original mount for the pedal off.
I'm using 3/4"x1/2" DOM going through the frame to mount them.
I still have to weld everything in but it's raining and I don't like to weld with bad weather.
Kim

Kim57 01-21-2010 04:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pics.
Sorry the last one is a bit blurry. You can see the access hole I had to cut in the cab mount to be adle to get the bolt in.
Kim

Tri5Nerd 01-21-2010 04:47 PM

Good job Kim, keep us posted with your progress.

Tri5

Fat Mike 01-21-2010 05:43 PM

Thank you for posting these pictures! You have convinced me to purchase 78 chevy truck with a 350 combo and hydobrake set up on it. Really nice build.

nickp51chevy 01-21-2010 06:45 PM

'78???

CAL 58 GMC 01-21-2010 08:15 PM

Nice job Kim!

Kim57 01-22-2010 01:09 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Kim

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickp51chevy (Post 3748258)
'78???

I believe he is using as a doner truck for the running gear and brakes.
It has a hydroboost system on it.
Kim

addicted2dunes 01-22-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 3747980)
I still have to weld everything in but it's raining and I don't like to weld with bad weather.
Kim

Hey Kim, yeah, isn't the weather here just wonderful. I've been having the same problem..... I do all my plasma-ing outside and every time I get ready to cut something it starts pouring! Damn the weather, at least it should clear up for weekend!

Kabwe 01-22-2010 11:45 AM

Great job Kim.

nuke1 01-24-2010 12:45 AM

looks great!

my67chevytruck 01-24-2010 04:29 PM

great progress Kim, keep at it...

Kim57 01-26-2010 05:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got a little more done on the brakes.
Welded the DOM in and mounted the power booster to see how it fit.
I still have to figure out the length of the tube that will conect the pedal to the booster.
Kim

jjjmm56 01-26-2010 05:51 PM

Can I ask why you mounted your booster back so far, and is that a power brake booster or just a master cyl?

Kim57 01-26-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjmm56 (Post 3759077)
Can I ask why you mounted your booster back so far, and is that a power brake booster or just a master cyl?

It's a hydroboost unit.
I mounted it there for ease of maintenance. It sits just in back of where the cab ends. My bed is going to tilt so it will be easy to get to.
Kim

nickp51chevy 01-26-2010 09:27 PM

Kim that'a a sweet set up your doing for your brakes, and the tilt bed; awesome!