The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510160)

VA72C10 06-19-2013 02:38 PM

Re: Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 6131655)
Thanks fellas.. I wish the rest of the truck looked like the bed. :D

This truck has so much character man. You'd just have to drive it. The 3ott really adds a vintage feel to ittoo. I hate to see iit go but I need to sell it.

I'm just going to turn some of the $ back into my other truck. .. maybe get it in the paint booth, fuel injection for the BBC, PB drop stuff, .. ahem.. Billets.. :D. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

If the rest of the truck looked like the bed it would be a 40-60K truck :metal:

CC69Rat 06-19-2013 02:43 PM

I'll let you know if I run across another one. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

STOCKISH 06-19-2013 03:09 PM

Beautiful truck buddy. Wont take long to sell.

CC69Rat 06-19-2013 07:11 PM

US only sales .. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

superflysteiny 06-19-2013 07:26 PM

Wow the truck came out sweeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt I hate to see you sell it when you just got it finished. It is a great truck with a great price.

CC69Rat 06-19-2013 07:44 PM

Thanks man. I'm just going to do fuel injection and PB stuff on my 68 (extreme DM club :metal: ) new fleet bed, 68 style trim etc.. paint and /or whatever is left. It won't take much to finish it up.

You need this GMC man! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 06-20-2013 03:51 PM

1.3GB video walkaround coming soon. I'll post the YT link asap.

Dad took the truck over to a local park yesterday. He said three people and a Park Ranger stopped to look at it while he was taking the pictures. :)

c10Dream'n 06-20-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 6133530)
1.3GB video walkaround coming soon. I'll post the YT link asap.

Dad took the truck over to a local park yesterday. He said three people and a Park Ranger stopped to look at it while he was taking the pictures. :)

As well they should be...a stunning beauty as she is, who wouldn't

darkhorse970 06-21-2013 07:04 AM

This truck really turned out nice, it's interesting how your plan evolved. I am doing a little wheel research and this thread is great for that! I'd guess that you gained a few gray hairs over the wheels on this truck!LOL it really looks great! Congrats!

One question, can you tell me if the wheels on this truck would fit on a '68 stepside w/4.5/7 drop using the same sizes and backspace?
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 06-21-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10Dream'n (Post 6133580)
As well they should be...a stunning beauty as she is, who wouldn't

Thanks man, Your truck turned out amazing too! Great job, it looks much better with the 4/6. (or 5/7 .. :D )

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970 (Post 6134626)
This truck really turned out nice, it's interesting how your plan evolved. I am doing a little wheel research and this thread is great for that! I'd guess that you gained a few gray hairs over the wheels on this truck!LOL it really looks great! Congrats!

One question, can you tell me if the wheels on this truck would fit on a '68 stepside w/4.5/7 drop using the same sizes and backspace?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you man. Yes, I'm only 40 and as you can tell from the pictures I have more salt than pepper! .. my my wife LOVES it. It won't be dying it anytime soon. .. :lol:

Wheels are a huge step. If you're thinking Billets, .. you have to get it perfect the first time. No question about it. $4500-$5000 for wheels and tires I'd be sick if I messed it up.

68 stepside question - As you know, I had a step bed on my 68 at one point and had ordered billets for it too. I just didn't quite like the way the wheels fit the truck to be honest. Nothing against the wheels but I just like a fleet bed. Nothing wrong with a stepper, .. no way .. but you can just get more tire under a fleet bed.

Not assuming you don't know but the 67-68 trucks had a little more narrow rear end housing than the later years. I'm thinking your truck will have the more narrow rear end. My 68 BB does too so I'm going to give you my measurements off my stepper.

I used:

20x8.5" wheels all the way around. the fronts had 5.5" backspacing, the rears had 4.75" backspacing. Honestly it was really tight on this truck to make the tires and wheels 'tuck' under the fenders. I had a 255/45 on the rear, and 255/40 on the front.

If I had it to do over I would have used 5 3/8 BS up front and the same in the rear.

I can tell you if you want to do 22 in the back. The setup Keith had on Stella Mae was incredible.

20x8.5 with 5.25" BS 255/40/20
22x9 with 5" BS 265/40/22
Early housing.

darkhorse970 06-21-2013 08:30 AM

Thanks for the informative response. I really want a wider tire under mine. It looks like a mini tub is in order...I kinda already thought that would be required. Thanks!

BTW, at 43 I've got plenty of gray too. I figure I'd prefer that to bald spots!LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 06-21-2013 11:11 AM

:gmc::truck:

Well .. It looks like the ole GMC is going to Texas.

.. More to come soon. Not 100% done just yet but we have agreed on a price. I will say it's a forum member so at least she's staying in the family!

This one's gonna hurt guys. I don't usually get attached to them but man this truck is one of the best Pop and I have ever done. It really turned out nice.

I'd like to thank Mr. Nate Porter for all his help. People are SHOCKED everywhere I go with the craftsmanship, welding, geometry, I could go on. .. My 68 will be dripping with PB stuff. NO DOUBT. Thank you brother.

Once it's done, I'll let the new owner post as he wishes. But, it looks like it's a done deal.

ColoradoK5 06-21-2013 11:33 AM

Bitter sweet news for you. Congrats on the sale and I really enjoyed following the build cant wait to see more to come from you and Pops!

c10Dream'n 06-21-2013 11:40 AM

That didn't take long. Hope the transition is smooooooov.

Bluechevy68 06-21-2013 12:13 PM

I have to admit this kind of hurts my feelings as well so I can't imagine what you must be going through. After reading through all the pages of your build thread I somehow got attached to it also. lol However on another note it hopefully will alow you to build your 68 exactly the way you want it to be. You and your pop have serious skills!

cericd 06-21-2013 12:14 PM

Congrats Chad! Wonder if I'll see it around.

Btw... I'd still like to see that 1.3GB video you mentioned. Not nearly enough HQ video documentation of these beautiful trucks.

aggie91 06-21-2013 12:42 PM

Congrats on the sale. Since I'm in Texas, maybe I will get to see it sometime. Hope the new owner posts up when the sale is finalized.

You and your Dad did a great job on this one. Just take lots of pictures before she leaves....

Rusbuilt 06-21-2013 12:56 PM

Congrats Chad!! I knew it wouldn't take long!

CC69Rat 06-21-2013 03:29 PM

Here's the video.

I'm 99% sure the truck is sold, just thought you guys might like to see the finished product top to bottom.

When Pop starts it up, there's a slight ticking sound. I have never heard it before, kinda sounds like a lifter but it's not there in person. It would have bothered me too much. :lol: I would have fixed that quickly.

Also, the brake rotors are Corvette, but not Z06. He meant to say Grand Sport. Same part number as the 96 GS LT4 cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvzOy...ature=youtu.be

c10Dream'n 06-21-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 6135299)
Here's the video.

I'm 99% sure the truck is sold, just thought you guys might like to see the finished product top to bottom.

When Pop starts it up, there's a slight ticking sound. I have never heard it before, kinda sounds like a lifter but it's not there in person. It would have bothered me too much. :lol: I would have fixed that quickly.

Also, the brake rotors are Corvette, but not Z06. He meant to say Grand Sport. Same part number as the 96 GS LT4 cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvzOy...ature=youtu.be

Cool video. Great attention to detail once again on the build.

NoNeck 06-21-2013 04:48 PM

Hey, I made the video, but I am no Stephen Spielberg! ;)

I didn't know I was so shaky... dang it's rough getting old. I don't know what was up with the sound either. The truck sounds MUCH better in person. Maybe I had the volume turned up too high on my camera? The under hood noise is coming from an A/C compressor that is low on Freon. I forgot the A/C was turned on. We were looking for some R-12 to charge it up, just never have.

Guys, this has been a fun build, and turned out to be a super cool truck. I hear a '68 Big Block SWB Bowtie calling our name on the other side of the garage. Wish us luck.

POP

CC69Rat 06-21-2013 04:50 PM

:whine: Done deal. It's sold.

We may see another thread on it, I'm not sure but it is going to a super nice guy and a board member too so I couldn't be happier.

Watch for the Big Block truck! That's all I'm sayin !! :lol:

69short 06-21-2013 05:40 PM

Congrats on the sale. I'll be checking the bb thread for updates!
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 06-21-2013 06:13 PM

Congrats , looking forward to the next one !

C/10 King 06-21-2013 06:21 PM

:no: Just kidding, congratulations on your sale. :gmc2: