The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

my67chevytruck 04-21-2010 07:30 AM

Re: Project: Recycle

Nice work Scoti

SCOTI 05-03-2010 11:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I picked up a couple of parts @ the Pate swap meet this weekend that were needed. I got the BBW sheet metal needed to get the conversion process under way.

I got the bulk of a rear cab section & whittled it down to a more manageable size. From there it was the drill, pry, & split routine (over & over.... & over again :lol: ). A couple hours later I was done.

I hope to get started on removing the small window sheet metal this week & my buddy has cleared a spot in his shop to get some fresh interior color sprayed....

joe231 05-03-2010 11:27 AM

Cool!!!

72BlckButy 05-03-2010 02:24 PM

Nice can't wait to see the BBW install!

Tx Firefighter 05-03-2010 02:37 PM

I suppose I am just a pervert from way back, but BBW means something completely different to me.

Clyde65 05-03-2010 02:49 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's funny right thar, I dont care who you are, that's funny!

Tx Firefighter 05-03-2010 02:54 PM

I'm just saying if you do a google search on BBW you will find what I'm more familiar with and it doesn't mention old truck windows anywhere.

SCOTI 05-03-2010 03:09 PM

Hhmm.... Is it just me, or does TX seem to know an awful lot about this 'other' BBW definition?? For some people, "way back" means last week when the bar closed on Sat night :lol: .

Tx Firefighter 05-03-2010 04:19 PM

Hey I'm an old chubby chaser from way back.

joe231 05-03-2010 08:58 PM

:haha:

N2TRUX 05-04-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 3955344)
Hey I'm an old chubby chaser from way back.

I think your sharing a bit too much Kevin...:)

Tx Firefighter 05-04-2010 08:58 PM

Geez , I'm not saying I am a trench coat wearing perv, I just dated a few fluffy girls over the years.

joe231 05-04-2010 09:00 PM

:haha:

fryer1979 05-04-2010 09:58 PM

Wow, totally the wrong (or maybe perfect) time to open up this thread for a read.:lol: SCOTI, very nice work so far, with so much attention to detail the end result is sure to be stunning. Subscribed for the ride.:smoke:

SCOTI 05-05-2010 01:05 AM

I got a little more done tonight but didn't take any pics.

I wanted to add some reinforcement plates for the R&P notches which requires some 're-work' the pass side front frame rail where the OE idler arm mounts on 67-72 frames (earlier frames don't have the dimples for the idler arm).

My plan is to sandwhich the original portion of the frame immediately surrounding the notch between 2pcs of .1875" steel. This requires the frame to be as flat as possible so those 'dimples' had to go. I removed that portion of the frame & replaced it w/some flat steel (I used a section of the scrap frame for the flat piece).

While re-working the area, I re-shaped the area on the top of the frame rail where it curved 'up' (I believe this was OE for fuel pump clearance on 292's & 396's). I flattened the top portion of the frame to be symmetrical w/the driver side. I also trimmed the rails up a little for a nice clean edge when transitioning from the upper a-arm/bag mount to the radiator core support area of the frame rails.

I got the outside portion of the rail cleaned up after the welds were cooled; still need to do the inside. I also made my templates for the plates that will sandwhich the notches. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.....

63sbssbbw 05-05-2010 06:09 AM

You guys are too funny
I've had to explain my board name once or twice
Looking great Scoti,Am I to assume that you'll be bonding the inner pinch weld or ?
T

SCOTI 05-05-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63sbssbbw (Post 3958688)
You guys are too funny
I've had to explain my board name once or twice
Looking great Scoti,Am I to assume that you'll be bonding the inner pinch weld or ?
T

Yes, that's the current plan.

8mpg 05-05-2010 11:34 AM

Hey Scoti... crazy question, but what steel/scrap yard are you using? I have always used Garland Steel, but man..last time I left with 64lbs of drop steel, I paid like $60. Alum would have probably been more.

SCOTI 05-05-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mpg (Post 3959024)
Hey Scoti... crazy question, but what steel/scrap yard are you using? I have always used Garland Steel, but man..last time I left with 64lbs of drop steel, I paid like $60. Alum would have probably been more.

Garland Steel is the closest to me so I do get most metal from them. I recycle my old scrap w/my GF's family owned company as they have a scrap container. They also supply me w/some certain parts/pieces if timing & inventory allows. They made my rear c-notches & my air-ride control panel FOC..... Well, I live w/their daughter so not exactly free ;) .

Tx Firefighter 05-05-2010 01:34 PM

You guys need to come on over to Fort Worth. My steel yard gets 30 cents a pound for drops. Westex off North Main in Ft Worth.

8mpg 05-05-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 3959184)
You guys need to come on over to Fort Worth. My steel yard gets 30 cents a pound for drops. Westex off North Main in Ft Worth.

Thanks man...I will check them out. Much closer. Im in Southlake. Garland Steel is 35 miles from me. I think Im going to just build my notch for the frame with the last bit of steel I bought from Garland.

edit/// They are 28 miles from me...little closer. Im in NRH all the time at the woman's place.

Thanks for the reply Scoti...

SCOTI 05-11-2010 12:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Alright.... A little more progress.

Friday I got the truck loaded up & got it moved over to a friends shop. He'll be letting me utilize some shop space to do the small to big back window conversion. We'll also be painting the interior while it's there & his glass guy will pop in some fresh front/rear glass.

I still had a couple of things that needed to be finished on the frame. I needed to weld in some .500" solid rod on the rear bend of the rear c-notches. With the insight of Lakeroadster, the rear bend was determined to be the 'weak-point' of the re-worked c-notches. The solid rod will help re-inforce this possible stress point. While I had the frame flipped to do the rear, I also finished welding the bottom edge of the R&P c-notches in front.

I'm in the process of making re-inforcement plates to help strengthen the frame area adjacent to the R&P notches & will try to get those finished up in the next couple of days.

Pics of the solid rod welded to the rear bend of the rear c-notches....

smashingchuck 05-11-2010 12:19 AM

Haha know when to say when on the frame stregnthing it gets addicacting! Looks good!

SCOTI 05-11-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck (Post 3969518)
Haha know when to say when on the frame stregnthing it gets addicacting! Looks good!

The strength/stress analysis he did indicated the rear would still have a stress point @ that rear bend so the solid rod was needed.

The front notches are what 'everyone else' is installing w/their Dropmember installs. I decided I would prefer the frame around the notched area to be re-inforced. That's about it.

I meant to take a couple of pics from where I smoothed the side of the frame rail & 'removed' the curved portion on the top of the frame but forgot....

darkhorse970 05-11-2010 06:44 AM

That is certainly going to be a stout notch! I'm interested in seeing the finished product.

As for the BBW conversion, I'm still pondering mine and am anxious to see step by step progress pics on yours. Don't forget to take the pics...