The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   89 GMC Cummins conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=610302)

Dieselwrencher 06-18-2014 07:51 PM

Re: 89 GMC Cummins conversion

Good luck with it!

COS399 06-24-2014 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I stopped by Autoworld, on my way back from the sand dunes in Idaho, and Ken still had my original starter so I brought it home with me after it also bench tested okay. I got a starter shim that Ken sells for these starters just in case and a longer Cap Head allen bolt that will allow me to run a ground wire from the battery straight to the starter. I may not need the shim but you never know. Dawna was also kind enough to print me up a schematic in case I ever decided to go back and wire in an OBDII plug.

After AutoWorld it was over to NAPA to pick up the new starter ground wire as well as a positive cable for a 7.3 diesel just in case the one we built somehow got damaged. Tomorrow I will load test the batteries and make sure they are still up to the task.

Mike - (84Chevyguyid) thanks for coming out to the dunes and introducing yourself and some of your family to my family.

Here is a pic of my kid on his new toy. The good news is that it will be the last ATV that I have to buy him. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 06-24-2014 09:53 PM

Very cool! Did you guys have fun?

COS399 06-24-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6734874)
Very cool! Did you guys have fun?

We had a blast! There was excitement out on the dunes as well as watching some of the big motorhomes getting stuck within feet of the concrete pads where they were going to set up camp. One of the guys had super singles on the back of his Class A and that seemed to be the ticket to moving around on the sand.

After dinner tonight it looked like another storm was building up so I loaded up all my goodies from Great Falls and went to work on my truck. It turns out that the positive wire going to the starter was the culprit. We had soldered a lug on to the end of the factory Dodge starter wire and then I put heat shrink to prevent moisture from getting to it. Well the heat shrink was the only thing keeping it together but I guess the good thing is that it kept it from coming apart and shorting out against the frame or some other metal component.

So, I guess it's not for sale at the moment. :lol::lol: Now I have to figure out why my stereo won't put out any sound.:waah:

84chevyguyid 06-25-2014 12:55 AM

Yup we did have fun. Was nice to meet your family too James! Glad to hear you made it home ok. You would think since I live only 40 miles from the dunes that it wouldnt be so difficult to get over and meet up with James but my schedule was kinda hectic. I am in the middle of hay, was able to skip out on the wife's family reunion because of that, and mention to anybody you are going to the dunes and everybody wants to go but after they get off work at 6(30ish), then you only have a couple hours before its dark. I think we got to visit about 30 minutes or so the one night so Sunday, my daughter and I went back over and hung out for the afternoon. Got some BS'ing done, some riding done, ate some sand, did a little racing, all in all a great day! Sadie, my daughter crashed on her 4 wheeler and it ended up on top of her. She got her bell rung but is doing good other than being stiff and sore.
So James, when you figure out a date for a return trip to the dunes, be sure to let me know! And ya gotta bring one of those chevy/cummins trucks the next time!
What is the purpose of the starter shim? Did the cable overheat and melt the solder out of the terminal?

COS399 06-25-2014 09:14 PM

A 870 mile trip would be a good road trip for the GMC. As for the shim I'm not really sure how it would have helped because it doesn't increase the starter gear to ring gear mesh distance like conventional shims. Ken had them made because he did a conversion once that needed a shim to make the starter work. The cable appears like it didn't have enough solder in it when we made it.

COS399 07-03-2014 12:33 AM

Finally had some time to try and figure out why my stereo wasn't working. Turns out that I forgot to hook up the amplifier power wire during all the cable changes and starter issues. Doesn't help that I covered it with black split wire loom and everything else in the engine compartment is black. I probably would have checked it sooner but the power control wire was giving it enough power to illuminate the small LED that indicates it is on. lol

COS399 07-07-2014 11:24 AM

Yesterday I drove it on a 220 mile trip and after about 70 miles noticed that the transmission temperature was creeping up above 200 and finally settled in at 215. So I bypassed the thermostat switch on the trans cooler, added nearly two quarts of ATF and I am pretty sure that the ATF is leaking into the transfer case because there are no oil leaks. On the way home it stayed at about 185 degrees.

Hankster 07-07-2014 08:13 PM

Uh oh.. I'm not real good with tansmission or transfercases.. but that can't be good?

MTCK 07-07-2014 08:19 PM

That's a bummer. I didn't know the transmission had a thermostat... Guess I had better get educated.

COS399 07-07-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankster (Post 6751910)
Uh oh.. I'm not real good with tansmission or transfercases.. but that can't be good?

I think it will be more labor than parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 6751918)
That's a bummer. I didn't know the transmission had a thermostat... Guess I had better get educated.

The aftermarket transmission cooler mounted up front has a thermostat that turns the cooling fan on and off, not the transmission.

COS399 07-07-2014 09:22 PM

I found the installation instructions for the B&M trans cooler and the instructions show that the fan is suppose to come on at 176 degrees F (+ or - 5.4 F) and turn off at 140 degrees F (+ or - 5.4 F). I don't think that this is accurate but the next time I take it out I will take my infrared thermometer and check.

MTCK 07-08-2014 01:31 AM

Oh that makes sense. I was thinking a thermostat like restricting flow...

ryanroo 07-08-2014 07:21 AM

That sucks. at least the input shaft seals on the t-case are pretty easy to do. the de-bug process can be a patience tester for sure.

COS399 07-08-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 6752419)
That sucks. at least the input shaft seals on the t-case are pretty easy to do. the de-bug process can be a patience tester for sure.

hopefully you will be doing some shake down runs soon. That oil pan is killer!:metal:

COS399 09-13-2014 10:24 PM

Not much to report. I have just been occasionally driving the truck around town and to work, which is just one mile away, to keep the batteries charged . I will probably be dropping the transfer case and resealing it after the kid is done with football, basketball jamboree, and the hunting season is over. I sold his 1978 CCLB K35 the other day so I will definitely be giving him this truck. He will barely be 14 this December so I am not planning on doing too much more to it until he is closer to getting his permit. Thanks for following along.

Dieselwrencher 09-16-2014 03:54 PM

I have to say that is a bad azz first truck. I hope I can do the same for my kids when the time comes. It's good to hear it's starting alright now too.

COS399 09-18-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6845297)
I have to say that is a bad azz first truck. I hope I can do the same for my kids when the time comes. It's good to hear it's starting alright now too.

Thanks Ryan. I'm sure you will have something nice for them. I only have one kid so getting him a vehicle is easier on the wallet. Yes, the truck has been starting right up and I sure am glad I found the problem. We need some updates on your project vehicles.

COS399 10-25-2014 01:51 AM

Hoping to get a chance to work on transfer case seal this weekend to keep the transmission fluid from going into the transfer case.

COS399 11-30-2014 01:57 AM

I still haven't changed my leaking seal and now the heater core has sprung a leak. I have been driving it a lot and I have to say that it does really well in the snow and on the icy roads. However, the mileage hasn't been that impressive.

MTCK 11-30-2014 02:20 AM

How good (bad) is the mileage? Glad you are getting some miles on her.

COS399 11-30-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 6938623)
How good (bad) is the mileage? Glad you are getting some miles on her.

Maybe 10 mpg. Of course it has been cold and so I plug it in and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes before I move her. I am running #2 diesel with Stanadyne additive and it is winter blend fuel. Of course 10 mpg is still better than what all of my old big block Chevys ever got. My heavy right foot might have had something to do with that. :lol:

MTCK 11-30-2014 02:21 PM

That could be a lot worse! Winter just kills mileage. My tacoma gets down to just over 10 mpg sometimes if I'm abusing the auto start and it's really cold out. You're driving twice as much truck.

COS399 12-01-2014 12:25 AM

i picked up a heater core yesterday and found some time to get it installed today. Now if I could only find the time to fix the seal. Maybe when Ryan is doing his northern tour he could swing by and fix it. :lol::lol:

Dieselwrencher 12-01-2014 04:41 PM

:lol: Don't get too excited. I doubt that trip will be happening anytime soon.