The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=404865)

Bennett68C10 11-21-2011 12:05 AM

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Knight (Post 5021730)
Do it yourself exhaust I'm not sure if I could do that . Can you give me some tips ? Went to a shop and he said without seeing my truck it was $500 or so .HMMMM.

Have somebody that is really good at putting puzzles together lol. I am lucky enough to have my father help me with this build and he can practically build anything. I liked the hot rod kit cause it came with all the straights and bends you will need. You will also need a welder and to remember to measure twice and cut once lol or you will run out of pipe. Also don't change your motor once your exhaust is completely done so you have to change your exhaust, oh wait that was me lol. Seriously though i probably could have had a shop do it for a little more than what I have into it. Maybe shop around and bring some pics of your undercarriage so the shop has an idea of what your looking for. $500 seems a little high to me. Good luck with it Hollywood.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hollywood Knight 11-21-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5021771)
Have somebody that is really good at putting puzzles together lol. I am lucky enough to have my father help me with this build and he can practically build anything. I liked the hot rod kit cause it came with all the straights and bends you will need. You will also need a welder and to remember to measure twice and cut once lol or you will run out of pipe. Also don't change your motor once your exhaust is completely done so you have to change your exhaust, oh wait that was me lol. Seriously though i probably could have had a shop do it for a little more than what I have into it. Maybe shop around and bring some pics of your undercarriage so the shop has an idea of what your looking for. $500 seems a little high to me. Good luck with it Hollywood.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds to me we have a lot in common with our builds doing things twice.
Shopping around for a better price, what a concept .lol...

71Sleeper 11-21-2011 02:39 AM

I was told $450 for my exhaust from headers to tail 2.5 inch with Flowmasters.

Bennett68C10 11-21-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Knight (Post 5021818)
Sounds to me we have a lot in common with our builds doing things twice.
Shopping around for a better price, what a concept .lol...

:lol: I forgot that you had to get your truck painted twice. After thinking about it I probably have about $400.00 into my exhaust between the universal hotrod kit, spintech mufflers, stainless clamps and shipping charges so $500 for somebody else to do it doesn't sound that bad.

Bennett68C10 11-21-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Sleeper (Post 5021982)
I was told $450 for my exhaust from headers to tail 2.5 inch with Flowmasters.

$450.00 for everything including the mufflers sounds like a pretty good deal. I have close to that in mine and had to do all the work.

fakerwade 11-22-2011 11:09 PM

Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB,,,,,,You were probably thinking about building a really cool truck! Looking nice, keep it up.

Bennett68C10 11-24-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakerwade (Post 5025777)
Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB,,,,,,You were probably thinking about building a really cool truck! Looking nice, keep it up.

Thankyou
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett68C10 11-25-2011 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I finally chose a paint color for my truck. It is Viper Red. I figured if I am putting all this time and money into restoring it and I plan on keeping this one for a long time then I might as well paint it my favorite color. Should look really good and bright :metal: Plus I know Red is a popular color but where i'm from you don't see any Red 67-72's or many 67-72's at all.

67cheby 11-25-2011 10:32 AM

nice, one of my top red picks also !

Bennett68C10 11-25-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5029866)
nice, one of my top red picks also !

Thanks I love the color and can't wait to see what it will look like painted. I know i'm not going to need it for another 4-5 months but I figured I might as well start stocking up on what I'm going to need to paint this truck ahead of time.

big_al_71 11-25-2011 11:41 AM

Keith viper red is an awesome color....Cant wait to see the truck with the color on...

Bennett68C10 11-25-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_al_71 (Post 5029973)
Keith viper red is an awesome color....Cant wait to see the truck with the color on...

Thanks Al, I have been wrestling with the decision to paint it Red for 2 years now mainly because my last truck was Red. But this is a different truck and I know in the end I would have only been happy if it was Red and I really love the way Viper Red looks

big_al_71 11-25-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5029984)
Thanks Al, I have been wrestling with the decision to paint it Red for 2 years now mainly because my last truck was Red. But this is a different truck and I know in the end I would have only been happy if it was Red and I really love the way Viper Red looks

Keith just make sure that whatever you are doing that you are happy with specially paint which it is not an easy fix if you are not happy with the outcome. I have made some mistakes on my build of choosing not to do something at the specific time then having to spend additional money on doing what I should had done from the get go. Case and point originally we redid the suspension completely and my brakes with a static drop and stock style brakes now here I am three years later redoing both things by doing the air ride with willwood brakes. I have no idea why I just did not do it from the beginning.

67chevy1series 11-25-2011 02:59 PM

that red is beautiful! red and black are my favorite colors.

Bennett68C10 11-25-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_al_71 (Post 5030079)
Keith just make sure that whatever you are doing that you are happy with specially paint which it is not an easy fix if you are not happy with the outcome. I have made some mistakes on my build of choosing not to do something at the specific time then having to spend additional money on doing what I should had done from the get go. Case and point originally we redid the suspension completely and my brakes with a static drop and stock style brakes now here I am three years later redoing both things by doing the air ride with willwood brakes. I have no idea why I just did not do it from the beginning.

Thanks Al, in my case budget has a lot to do with the direction this build is taking. When I first started this build my budget was only going to allow it to be flat black with Rally wheels and a small block. Now it has 18/20 Coys, a Big Block and be painted in a nice shiney bright red paint. The only thing I still really want to do is bag it but I know I can do that at any time so it will have to wait until I have the funds for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett68C10 11-25-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 5030218)
that red is beautiful! red and black are my favorite colors.

Thanks Rick, we have something in common Red and Black are my favorite colors too
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 11-25-2011 05:06 PM

I love the red paint! what kind of paint are you using? It will look great.

Bennett68C10 11-25-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5030316)
I love the red paint! what kind of paint are you using? It will look great.

I'm trying out Summits 2 stage paint system. I have heard alot of good things about it being a good budget priced paint system. They have everything you need in primers, sealers, reducers and clears. I will be spraying a white sealer before shooting the Red. I know it won't be as good a quality of a $10k paint job but I will never be able to afford that.
Posted via Mobile Device

raull 11-26-2011 12:05 AM

nice choice for viper red , red paint !!! black wheels !!! its gona look nice

Zoomin 11-26-2011 12:26 AM

Your truck is going to look killer in Viper red. I am partial to red big block trucks running Coys though. :smoke:

Good luck on the rest of the build Keith.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett68C10 11-26-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raull (Post 5030946)
nice choice for viper red , red paint !!! black wheels !!! its gona look nice

Thanks Raull, I can't wait to see this truck all painted but I know that will be months away.

Bennett68C10 11-26-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 5030990)
Your truck is going to look killer in Viper red. I am partial to red big block trucks running Coys though. :smoke:

Good luck on the rest of the build Keith.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Zoomin and you do have one nice ass Red Big Block truck running Coys.

butternut1972 11-26-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5030342)
I'm trying out Summits 2 stage paint system. I have heard alot of good things about it being a good budget priced paint system. They have everything you need in primers, sealers, reducers and clears. I will be spraying a white sealer before shooting the Red. I know it won't be as good a quality of a $10k paint job but I will never be able to afford that.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's an awesome color. Even cooler that your doing it yourself. Get alot of clear on it and color sand and polish it and it will look killer. I did alot of the prep on my truck and it saved me tons of $$$. I am confident enough now I will paint my son's 68 SWB. Your doing a great job. Later Kelly.

Bennett68C10 11-26-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 5031575)
That's an awesome color. Even cooler that your doing it yourself. Get alot of clear on it and color sand and polish it and it will look killer. I did alot of the prep on my truck and it saved me tons of $$$. I am confident enough now I will paint my son's 68 SWB. Your doing a great job. Later Kelly.

Thanks Kelly, that is the plan. My father painted his 40 Chevy pickup on the first page of my build thread and it turned out awesome. It's going to take some work but I can't afford to pay somebody to do it so the work is worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 11-26-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5030342)
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm pretty sure one of my friend uses the eurethane paint. It's reasonably priced too. $10k or more is pretty common on these trucks for nice paint jobs.