The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   87' 4x4 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=425848)

TKCR 01-29-2021 07:12 AM

Re: 87' 4x4

Just read thru your build thread, very nice! Is this the truck that the seat will go in? I’m a little nervous now, I see you did your interior in Firethorn. But Firethorn is a component of CarmineRed, when mixed with Portola Red. This is what I had to do, when SEM discontinued 81-83 CarmineRed. But now, USA1 Industries has all our correct colors of dye. Can’t wait to see the seat installed! You have done an excellent job on your truck:metal:
On a side note, I can only see a small portion of the seatbelts laying on your seat. I’m assuming, that since your truck is an 87, your belts are Burgundy?

Greenlee 01-30-2021 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8871560)
Just read thru your build thread, very nice! Is this the truck that the seat will go in? I’m a little nervous now, I see you did your interior in Firethorn. But Firethorn is a component of CarmineRed, when mixed with Portola Red. This is what I had to do, when SEM discontinued 81-83 CarmineRed. But now, USA1 Industries has all our correct colors of dye. Can’t wait to see the seat installed! You have done an excellent job on your truck:metal:
On a side note, I can only see a small portion of the seatbelts laying on your seat. I’m assuming, that since your truck is an 87, your belts are Burgundy?

Thank you. Can’t wait to get the new seat in in there! Yes, I dyed the door panels, dash and headliner trim with SEM Firethorn red years ago. Door panels have some scratches and could use a re-spray. Maybe I’m colorblind but the different shades of red aren’t really noticeable and don’t bother me. Lol

I think you’re right though. The seat belts and sun visors are the stock color and look more maroon or burgundy. I also bought new door pockets from LMC a couple years ago and they seem to match pretty good with the Firethorn red even though I didn’t dye them. I’m thinking about getting new door inserts also.

TKCR 01-30-2021 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 8871968)
Thank you. Can’t wait to get the new seat in in there! Yes, I dyed the door panels, dash and headliner trim with SEM Firethorn red years ago. Door panels have some scratches and could use a re-spray. Maybe I’m colorblind but the different shades of red aren’t really noticeable and don’t bother me. Lol

I think you’re right though. The seat belts and sun visors are the stock color and look more maroon or burgundy. I also bought new door pockets from LMC a couple years ago and they seem to match pretty good with the Firethorn red even though I didn’t dye them. I’m thinking about getting new door inserts also.

Like i said the Firethorn is a component of CarmineRed, so the seat will probably be just fine. Anytime you want to swap out the seatbelts, if we find a decent set. It took sorting thru my stash, to put a decent set together that I just did for someone.

rgunlock 01-31-2021 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You'll have to post pictures with the new seat. I'm sure it is going to look great! You and I have great taste in steering wheels. Just put this in the '71 I'm working on for my wife.

TKCR 01-31-2021 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8872745)
You'll have to post pictures with the new seat. I'm sure it is going to look great! You and I have great taste in steering wheels. Just put this in the '71 I'm working on for my wife.

Here’s the seat he got, CarmineRed. I can’t wait to see it in his truck too. And that is a beautiful steering wheel, you both have great taste!

Greenlee 01-31-2021 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8872745)

That’s funny we got the same wheel because they must have had a dozen or more choices!

Greenlee 03-08-2021 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got my seat in. TKCR did a great job restoring it.

Greenlee 03-08-2021 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What took so long is I decided to get rid of the subwoofer and amp I had behind the seat. The speaker box left an indentation in the old seat and didn’t want to mess up this one. Also wanted the room back there to put stuff. I ordered a powered subwoofer to mount under the seat. I was thinking I could just screw it to the floor somewhere, but I forgot how un-flat the floor is.

Greenlee 03-08-2021 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doesn’t have as much bass as before but sounds pretty decent. Plenty of room behind the seat now.

Greenlee 03-08-2021 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s a pic of the brackets. Used some 1/8” strap metal from Home Depot.

TKCR 03-09-2021 09:21 AM

Seat looks awesome!

MTCK 03-09-2021 11:37 AM

That turned out great. Was your foam in Good enough shape to reuse or did it get replaced?

Greenlee 03-09-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 8891584)
That turned out great. Was your foam in Good enough shape to reuse or did it get replaced?

I like it. I got the whole seat from TKCR. She did a great job on it. Looks like brand new. Was told my old one couldn’t be recovered. Fabric was glued on or something. It was from an 89’ or 90’ Suburban.

TKCR 03-10-2021 09:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 8891848)
I like it. I got the whole seat from TKCR. She did a great job on it. Looks like brand new. Was told my old one couldn’t be recovered. Fabric was glued on or something. It was from an 89’ or 90’ Suburban.

That’s correct on the 89 and up seat covers, they were actually glued to the foam. I had one myself, came in the truck when I bought it. Now this was before I started restoring seats myself, so I wasn’t even aware that this seat wasn’t the correct seat for the 81-87 trucks. But I had taken mine to an Amish guy that my Dad had used, and he did great work. But when I got the seat back, the cover he made, didn’t lay right on the foam. It was like it had air between the bottom of the cover & foam. He stated that, and I have talked to other people & upholstery shops, and they all say the same about those seats. They say GM went to that because of trying to find a way around everyone’s covers wearing the way they did on the previous years. And it actually did seem to help. Whenever I still see these seats in the junkyards, most of them are still decent.
Here’s a picture of mine, it was just like yours. I didn’t keep it for very long, after it was recovered. Just didn’t like how it turned out at all.
Last pic, is my seat now. Fully restored the frame/tracks and hardware, just like yours.

Greenlee 03-10-2021 09:23 PM

Yep. That first seat is similar to my old one. The gray looks nice in yours.

Greenlee 03-18-2022 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still driving the old truck. Latest mods are switched from 3.42 to 3.73 gears and Detroit True Trac front and rear. It does killer donuts now.

TKCR 03-18-2022 11:08 PM

Nice:metal:

MTCK 03-20-2022 12:25 PM

Heck yeah! You probably don’t get much snow down there. Have you run at speed in 4hi after the front truetrac install?

Greenlee 03-27-2022 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 9053986)
Heck yeah! You probably don’t get much snow down there. Have you run at speed in 4hi after the front truetrac install?

I still remember that video of your old single cab truck playing in the snow!

I went up and down the beach in 4 hi. But probably didn’t get over about 20 mph. This was first time I put it in 4 wheel drive since the trutrac was put in. You can tell it’s there in 2 wheel drive when you turn a corner. Sometimes the rear tires chirp a little when you accelerate out of a turn.