The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 Chevy Crew Cab “Denali” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=771667)

MDFarms 12-24-2021 11:23 AM

Re: 1972 Chevy Crew Cab “Denali”

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkidd007 (Post 9010438)
Another small tid bit in relation to the rubbers. Do the doors without strikers also, then when you put the strikers on and close the door you’ll know if they are not lined up it’s not the actual alignment

So I see add rubbers but no strikers? When you say rubbers as in the rubber stops? Sorry new to this but your work looks amazing so wanted to ask!! Greta looking project so far.

ShortbedClayton 12-24-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFarms (Post 9010609)
So I see add rubbers but no strikers? When you say rubbers as in the rubber stops? Sorry new to this but your work looks amazing so wanted to ask!! Greta looking project so far.

Door seal rubbers is what I was referring too. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

MDFarms 12-25-2021 09:20 PM

This is a 200k Truck when finished if not more! Many High Dollar buyers with lots of $$$$

ShortbedClayton 12-29-2021 02:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well talked to the body man this passed weekend and he’s projecting I may have the cab back by beginning to mid March 2022. Little later than I wanted but no sense in getting upset about it. So from now till then I plan on cleaning parts and painting stuff up so when I get the cab back I can go to town reassembling. First order of business is getting a windshield and back window ordered so can be installed after paint. Went ahead and pulled some GM windshield trim out of the barn and began polishing it up. Wanted to do so in order to order the proper gasket awhile. This is 1970 trim with the 5/8 lip I believe so I’m gonna order the proper precision gasket. From what I read on the board here that’s what people are preferring to use. And I also got my new clutch linkage made up from Z bar to fork. Old stuff was too long since I moved engine forward but left existing frame bracket intact so I opted to make a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

dnd1978 12-29-2021 10:29 PM

Wow great job on the cab. That must have been a lot of work!! The picture made it look easy!! Haha

ShortbedClayton 03-23-2022 05:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Haven’t posted any updates in awhile. Still pecking away at the bodywork. It’s taking a long time but I’m learning a lot and I never realized how much work is involved. As of now my painter is thinking mid May sometime that I would get my cab back home. No sense in rushing at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 03-23-2022 05:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more pics of the cab in its current state. Two weeks ago another suburban decided to follow me home. It’s crusty and has no title but I believe in a few years it will get the crew cab treatment. The guy I bought it off of actually purchased it with the intent to build a crew cab so he was happy to sell to a fellow crew cab enthusiast. 1971 burb 350, 350 turbo.. not much left inside but I did get the Chevy grille components I need for my crew cab and it also has a manual throttle option and uncut dash. Either way I was happy to save from the scrap yard
Posted via Mobile Device

May70 03-23-2022 06:19 AM

Impressive as always

goldenburb 03-23-2022 10:45 PM

O man another 3 door bites the dust for a over price truck.
Good luck on finishing can wait.

ShortbedClayton 03-24-2022 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenburb (Post 9055844)
O man another 3 door bites the dust for a over price truck.
Good luck on finishing can wait.

I know I don’t like cutting them up either. If it was decent shape I’d love to build a 4x4 suburban but the rear barn doors are shot, sail panel is gone. Rear floors and wheel tubs are rusted out. Somebody shaved tail lights off and cut a sunroof in the roof. This one isn’t worth doing up as a suburban so I feel like I’d be saving it if I convert to a crew cab. Most of the really bad rust I cut off anyways and the sunroof roof gets removed as well. I will be saving the barn door latches and hardware to sell but that’s about all I can salvage off the rear end. Did sell the running gear to a buddy of mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 03-24-2022 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 9055399)
Impressive as always

Thank you sir
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 03-24-2022 06:56 AM

Your roof is looking very nice! Great score! A good suburban is getting hard to find. My wife's is pretty rusty as well. It's fixable but I have located another more rust free shell I'd like to get instead. Save a couple hundred hours on the build possibly. :lol: Her old shell will be my crew cab donor if my plan works out.

ShortbedClayton 03-24-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9055952)
Your roof is looking very nice! Great score! A good suburban is getting hard to find. My wife's is pretty rusty as well. It's fixable but I have located another more rust free shell I'd like to get instead. Save a couple hundred hours on the build possibly. :lol: Her old shell will be my crew cab donor if my plan works out.

Thanks ryan. Yeah they don’t come up too often for sale on the east coast. Someday I’d like to build a burb but this one is toasted in rear. Can’t wait to see your crew cab build I’m sure it will be diesel and it will be fast!
Posted via Mobile Device

goldenburb 03-24-2022 08:07 AM

Thanks for replying.
Good call recycling all the good stuff and cutting out the bad. I cashed my burb and still haven't finding a good a replacement.
Can you show a close up on how you hook up the tran to the column shifter .
Thanks

kev2809 03-24-2022 07:13 PM

that cab looks like it came out great

Dieselwrencher 03-25-2022 06:47 AM

Clayton, what did you use for paint on your frame and axles? I'm really thinking about cutting my orange truck cab since it needs rockers and doing this to it this winter.

ShortbedClayton 03-25-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9056515)
Clayton, what did you use for paint on your frame and axles? I'm really thinking about cutting my orange truck cab since it needs rockers and doing this to it this winter.

I sand blasted and used high build epoxy primer from PPG. The black is single stage PPG black from there industrial fleet line..was supposed to be low gloss but ended up having more shine than I wanted. With use hope it dulls down a bit. I’d have to look on the can for the code I don’t know if off top of my head.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 03-25-2022 08:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Been working on the cab in the evening. Got everything seam sealed from top to bottom. Was excited about the drip edge as it now looks like the roof was never taken off or modified. Used 3M EZ sand bumper repair up there. Flows out nice and is self leveling. Once it’s primered and painted it should appear and feel factory. It’s also sandable so if you get some imperfections you can easily sand it. Highly recommend it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 03-25-2022 10:20 AM

That looks mint!

Kcorey 03-30-2022 06:53 AM

Awesome work. Takes alot of time, patients , and skill to pull this off. One day i hope to have the time and patients to build a crew cab. Kudos to you.

ShortbedClayton 04-11-2022 11:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Spent the past couple weekends busy at the body shop. Got the cab in 2k primer. Some more sanding and some sealer and it be ready for paint. Also got high build polyester applied to all the doors and fenders. Gotta block them and then get them in 2k. Also got the inside of the hood stripped and in primer and paint but didn’t get a pic of it painted.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShortbedClayton 04-11-2022 11:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally pulled the trigger on the remaining three tires I needed. I’ve had the wheels since November. Powder coated white. Got all 4 tires mounted up and bolted on the chassis. Couldn’t help myself from tossing some driver quality k20 caps on there. Just perfect for the look I was going for. Definitely getting excited to get the cab mounted on the chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device

71blksuper4x4 04-11-2022 01:52 PM

Lookin' great bud!

ShortbedClayton 04-11-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 9065154)
Lookin' great bud!

Thanks Trevor! Once I get cab painted and mounted I’ll for sure be posting in the FB group
Posted via Mobile Device

1971Stepside 04-12-2022 09:28 AM

This truck is just amazing! I can't wait to see the cab back on the frame.