The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   slik ricks 67 short wide CST (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=416212)

oldblue1968chevy 10-06-2011 01:10 AM

Re: slik ricks 67 short wide CST

if ur like me you'll probabyl wish u didnt fill theholes

my vote is no

jbclassix 10-06-2011 01:45 AM

put your frooont end on jack stands and see if the wheels turn good both ways. this will also help bleed the steering. I agree with john, I wouldnt fill the holes, especially if it is a work-in-progress. You don't want to undo what you already did

67chevy1series 10-06-2011 06:51 PM

so put it on jack stands and start the truck so i ahve power sterring and see if it starts working? do the wheels need to touch the ground or do they have to not touch the ground? the only hole i want to fill right now is the clutch hole, i dont want to ever make my truck a manual.

oldblue1968chevy 10-06-2011 06:54 PM

Can you plug it for time being, you never know you might get a wild hair and wanna build it a 3spd on the tree

67chevy1series 10-06-2011 06:55 PM

that would cost way to much. i want to get it running as an auto..... if i build a 3spd it will be with another truck...... i do have the plug and will plug it but i just dont like that they shreink with heat from the engine and fall out then you have a whole again, nothing is water proof like a flly welded in metal.

heeroyue2002 10-06-2011 10:05 PM

make a thicker plug in shop

67chevy1series 10-06-2011 11:01 PM

the plug is plastic............

i did some more wiring work. its coming along... if it doesnt work tommorrow then i am stumped. also the power steering trick didnt work so well... i could tell it was trying but it couldnt do it.. also after i turned it off it started leaking out of the top of the cap area it was as if the cap wasnt on all the way but it was.

oldblue1968chevy 10-06-2011 11:19 PM

bad pump or something? try the engine/drivetrain forum or the suspension forum where more people will see it

good luck ricky

67chevy1series 10-07-2011 12:06 AM

the pump worked perfect for member sleepertruck72 when he took it off to go to serpintine pattern.

heeroyue2002 10-07-2011 01:08 AM

oh. my 72 cab had a metal plug made and covered the clutch hole.

jbclassix 10-07-2011 01:42 AM

Rick, was the steering arm ever off the gear box?

Can you pop the pitman arm off your center-link, make sure the arm can move side to side freely, and have someone turn the steering wheel full left to full right.

What may be happening is the pitman arm is 90 degrees off. SOME boxes this is possible to install the arm wrong. It's a lot of work, but it is a learning experience. Let me know buddy, any questions I am glad to help!

With the oil over flowing, you were working your steering pump hard and the fluid got hot. DEX III (which you should be using) expands quite a bit from heat. Have you ever noticed the full cold and full hot differences on the dipstick? Just make sure it is topped off. A good back yard trick to see if your pump is good, have some one watch your pressure line. Run the truck, turn the steering wheel either way to full turn and hold it there. If the pressure line "jumps" or "flexes" you have pressure.

I would eliminate your pump as a problem. If it turns good one way, then the pump is producing the flow to power your steering. The problem will be in the component that determines where the flow is needed. This will be your steering gear. I would recommend ensuring the arm is installed correctly, and there is nothing else binding the steering system. Once you have done this you have isolated your steering gear as the problem.

As for plugging the clutch hole, PLUG IT! on my burb (we're in a long distance relationship right now) I have a factory metal cover with a gasket. it has two screws that hold it on and it seals real good. if you want it, when we see each other again, you can have it!

heeroyue2002 10-07-2011 02:20 AM

yeah thats the plug mine has i believe

67chevy1series 10-07-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 (Post 4939875)
yeah thats the plug mine has i believe

yes 71 72 have these plates
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 4939845)
Rick, was the steering arm ever off the gear box?

Can you pop the pitman arm off your center-link, make sure the arm can move side to side freely, and have someone turn the steering wheel full left to full right.

What may be happening is the pitman arm is 90 degrees off. SOME boxes this is possible to install the arm wrong. It's a lot of work, but it is a learning experience. Let me know buddy, any questions I am glad to help!

With the oil over flowing, you were working your steering pump hard and the fluid got hot. DEX III (which you should be using) expands quite a bit from heat. Have you ever noticed the full cold and full hot differences on the dipstick? Just make sure it is topped off. A good back yard trick to see if your pump is good, have some one watch your pressure line. Run the truck, turn the steering wheel either way to full turn and hold it there. If the pressure line "jumps" or "flexes" you have pressure.

I would eliminate your pump as a problem. If it turns good one way, then the pump is producing the flow to power your steering. The problem will be in the component that determines where the flow is needed. This will be your steering gear. I would recommend ensuring the arm is installed correctly, and there is nothing else binding the steering system. Once you have done this you have isolated your steering gear as the problem.

As for plugging the clutch hole, PLUG IT! on my burb (we're in a long distance relationship right now) I have a factory metal cover with a gasket. it has two screws that hold it on and it seals real good. if you want it, when we see each other again, you can have it!

jeremy i got the gear box witht the arm and it was on the frame when i took it off. i wanted to take it off but never got around to it.... the fluid might be a little over, so that could have caused the leaking, and yes i have noticed the cold and hot lines. i dont understand how my truck can steer perfect when its off but when it turns on it doesnt have power steering for the right.
Quote:

Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 (Post 4939825)
oh. my 72 cab had a metal plug made and covered the clutch hole.

jbclassix 10-08-2011 12:06 AM

So it steers both left and right with the engine off?
And it steers to the left just fine with the engine running?
And it wont steer at all to the right with the engine running?

67chevy1series 10-08-2011 12:21 AM

this is how it is,

when ENGINE IS OFF i have manual left and manual right steering just fine.

when ENGINE IS ON i have power steering left and MANUAL steering right.

slick copper 10-08-2011 05:04 AM

Rick, sorry to take up space on your thread, but wanted to ask. On my 67 parts (for sale) truck i found a cig. lighter. I think it's original 67 only. How much are they worth if it's in good shape? I think I saw you had one. Post me a pic of it plz. Thanks buddy!

67chevy1series 10-08-2011 03:00 PM

no problem raymond, here is a thread with good information on the 67 lighter and it has a pic of all the other knobs to LINKY

67chevy1series 10-08-2011 10:31 PM

well i sanded most of the front of the hood and primered it. also got some really really really really good original felt for the driver door.

1972hays 10-09-2011 04:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here are the picks of his hood i took

1972hays 10-09-2011 04:03 AM

thats all i had

67chevy1series 10-09-2011 04:04 AM

thats better then no pics at all

i sanded the hood again after these pics guys.

heeroyue2002 10-09-2011 04:20 AM

rick u can also use your grinder and a flab disc! cuts through all that stuff fast without hurting the metal

67chevy1series 10-09-2011 04:22 AM

i used one of these http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pub...VBs3sLBQRtZKyQ

67chevy1series 10-09-2011 04:31 AM

well what should i call the new build thread for the new cab and to finish the rest of this build with... heres some that i thought up:

1. "Ricks 67 project CST"
2. "67 project CST"
3. " Project CST"
4. "Slik Ricks 67 build part II"
5. "Slik ricks 67 part II
6. "Ricks new 67 build"
7. "1967 Chevy project"
8. "1967 Chevy build"
9. "finishing the 67"
10. "phase II of Ricks 67"
which one should it be guys?

Hubscrub 10-09-2011 08:24 AM

rick i thought of you yesterday at a cruise in there was an mid 60's black truck with whitewalls and caps on it reminded me of you:lol: (pics in my build thread)