The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   99+up common problems (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=328415)

Huck 02-12-2009 09:57 AM

99+up common problems

Ok let's list them---
1- Steering column vibration mostly noticed going slow --off road or in parking ---the column intermediate shaft is fluted with grease taking up the shock---it gets squeezed out. There is a factory bulletin to either repack or to "stroke!" the unit---what a BS fix this is but it works for a while.
2- Windshield noise pass side---from a bug shield changing the air flow!! Tape, caulk windshield to molding or take of the bug shield.
3- Premature front brake wear---factory bulletin for "northern states!!" ie the antilock sensor looses it's ground path due to salt-rust getting under it's mount to the spindal housing. factory bulletin recall---get them to replace the pads if you can.
4- Brake drag noise from the drivers side rear---the parking brake "horse shoe" unit is dragging on the drum and wearing out. Factory bulletin replaces the spring holder and possibly the horse shoe assembly but only on manual shift trucks!!!! how is that for another BS fix from GM?
OK guys, add some more as these trucks are full of BS GM issues~~~~
5-

silverado84355 02-12-2009 09:17 PM

Re: 99+up common problems

Fuel gauge (sending unit)
Speedometer
Water pumps
Front bumper brackets cracking out
Im sure theres more....

rddiaz 02-12-2009 11:53 PM

loose driver seat...
factory security system...
leaking from somewhere and I can"t find out where from!..

truckdude239 02-12-2009 11:54 PM

rear mains leaking
i've seen them at work with 3k mile ont eh trucks with rearmains leaking

67ChevyRedneck 02-13-2009 03:34 AM

4x4 dash switch

CSK

66truckin 02-13-2009 05:37 PM

I had an 07 sierra classic and it was flawless for the 17k miles I had it. It was too big for the wife to drive so we traded it off on a car.

Huck 02-13-2009 07:28 PM

Forgot about the stupid faulty 4x4 switch.
The tow-haul switch in the shift stalk fails due to inadequate wiring into the column.
And the worst---and I have had 3 99+ trucks=5.3V8s and every one had the engine ratteling within the first 30k miles--sounds really bad in the cold butttt---they do run forever! Strong engines but one would think they could fix the stupid ratteling~~~.

danno74 02-13-2009 09:10 PM

hvac blend door servo motor.....

67ChevyRedneck 02-14-2009 01:34 AM

I've fixed the tow haul switch on mine. Easy fix. I need a new 4x4 switch. Just haven't changed it. It has a slight CSK but Mobil One just about kills it and it's not noticable in spring/summer/fall. I've put over 50K on my truck, had 66K when I got it, it has new tires (last set lasted 40K+) and new Bilsteins, still has the factory pads and rotors, but need to be replaced soon.

I'd buy another one of these trucks in a heartbeat.

kevinr1970 02-14-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danno74 (Post 3142859)

Explain this a little more please.

Slammed67 02-17-2009 02:05 PM

Based on my truck....
  • Gauge cluster power supply went out.
  • Replaced fuel pressure regulator.
  • A few of the radio/climate control button lights are out.
  • Sticking accelerator pedal caused by dirty throttle body.
  • Rain leaking into driver's side of cab. Ended up being the seal around the cab vent on the back of the cab.
  • Driveline vibration, usually felt at low RPMs under load.
  • Leaking water pump (or seal) that I need to fix.

Huck 02-18-2009 09:29 PM

My 99 had a coolent leak somewhere in the back--couldn't find it but did put some radiator stop leak into the system @ 140,000 miles. Sold it without a leak @ 188,000 miles.
Oh yea, there is that issue of cold air coming into the pass floor heater --that coating the foam rubber seal around the air box is supposed to fix---.
I certainly would not pay $25,000. plus for another new chevy truck. Especially when they wouldn't even sell you one with a 5 or 6 speed manual!!!! They can go chapter 11.

Palf70Step 02-21-2009 09:11 PM

So far the only one I have noticed on my 02 is the steering column clunk. But I have the el cheapo model, so no fancy stuff on it to break. Seems like all the GMs have the clunk since about 2000 year. Mine wife's Bonneville had the same issue.

mr._bowtie 02-25-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

This is the only problem Ive seen on my 04. Other then that its VERY solid. My dad had a 02 and never had any trouble with it... put 110k on it. Did have the "bug shield" noise after installing a bug shield, but I wouldnt call that a problem lol. Now he has a new style 07 and no issues with it either.

Never heard of any chevy truck with bad rear mains... or water pumps.

kevinr1970 02-25-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinr1970 (Post 3144869)
Explain this a little more please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr._bowtie (Post 3165501)
This is the only problem Ive seen on my 04.

Can you explain what the symptoms of your problem was/were? And what the solution was??

On my '06 it seems I have been having a beech of a time regulating the temperature; if I have it at, say, 3/4 the way up and it I push the switch down slightly, after a few minutes it starts blowing cold. This is still way up in the red (hot) area of the control.
If I then nudge it up ever so slightly, after a few minutes it is cooking me out again???

Houston54 02-26-2009 09:21 AM

The flap that directs the air flow to either the defrost vents/dash vents or floor vents is controlled by a servo which goes out. Happened on my 03 Z71 but the dealer covered it. I believe they mentioned it would have cost me about $250 to repair.

Other problems are the fuel pump. If you have trouble getting the engine to start when you have less than a 1/4 tank of gas it is a symptom of the fuel pump darn close to giving up the ghost.

Found a whole bunch of mud and debris in the gas tank when it was dropped to replace the pump.

The dashboard ABS light and parking brake light coming on and staying on with no codes is also a common problem.

From my own experience regarding electrical issues I would check all the ground connections especially the one on the top rear passenger side of the engine block.

D13 02-26-2009 03:02 PM

2 pc driveshaft failure/vib at low miles.
General rattles
Window regulators
water pump
#7 injector plugging

kookykrispy 02-26-2009 09:07 PM

Mine had the common problem of the odometer/drive position indication going dark... intermittent problem. I found a guy on ebay who sells the repair service for $100 + shipping. I'm currently driving around with no gauges at all because he is fixing them and will send them back soon. He has 100% positive feedback and instrument clusters is all he does it seems. I've got my fingers crossed!

Also:

-Problem with power windows only go to the right, but not left or up or down. I replaced the switch, but that was not the problem... so now what? I'm not sure.

-The driver's door seal is noisy. It lets the wind in at speed. On my list to replace the seal.
-The rear passenger side pop-out window no longer closes properly. Very noisy above 45-50 mph. Very annoying. I understand there is a fix for this by putting a sheetmetal screw through the hinge into the metal of the body.
-Rattle from the glovebox latch
-Rattle from the center console above the CD player.
-Keyless entry is 'lazy' you need to press the button on the key fob multiple times to get it to unlock... this is with a brand new battery in the fob.
-Seatbelts are twisted up and I don't know how to untwist them.

All minor issues... other than that its a great truck and I got a pretty good deal on it. I like the 6.0 engine and 4L80e trans. Its got alot of power and I also like the lines of the silverado bodystyle. Its spacious and very comfortable inside. For a 3/4 ton, it rides alot better than my old f250. I have the LT package with power heated leather seats and they are not loose and work great. I have only owned it for a couple months. It has 111k on it.

TDs6t9 03-02-2009 09:46 PM

Huck, On your cold air coming in, how did you say you fixed it? We just did a trip and my wife really felt a draft on that side. I did too for that matter when she was driving. Is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance..

cheyenne402 03-03-2009 10:21 PM

Piston slap especially on cold start--I bought the truck from my Dad--who bought it brand new

2000 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0 litre

He took it to dealer, they said "it is normal"--GREAT

463 03-10-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDs6t9 (Post 3176403)
Huck, On your cold air coming in, how did you say you fixed it? We just did a trip and my wife really felt a draft on that side. I did too for that matter when she was driving. Is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance..

99% of the time the cabin air filters (2 of them) are very dirty and need to be replaced. the fan is on the up stream side and forces air thought them. when the filter is dirty the air bypass (due to the plastic and the seals letting the cool outside air into the inside on the pass foot well area. replace the 2 filters and you will haved fixed the cold air issue.

Riveted1 03-10-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookykrispy (Post 3168624)
-The rear passenger side pop-out window no longer closes properly. Very noisy above 45-50 mph. Very annoying.
-Keyless entry is 'lazy' you need to press the button on the key fob multiple times to get it to unlock... this is with a brand new battery in the fob.

My '99 too!

My ABS module died a long time ago. I just pulled the fuse meaning to fix it, but it's been like 4 years now LOL.

Fuel pressure reg died.

And I think the water pump gasket is leaking. These trucks are notorious for that one.

Not bad considering I drive it like my momma stole it and I don't do much more than change the fluids in it. And it's almost got 100k of 98% stoplight to stoplight driving!

(Of course, now that I said something she will die.)

Joe67 03-22-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 3139854)
Ok let's list them---
1- Steering column vibration mostly noticed going slow --off road or in parking ---the column intermediate shaft is fluted with grease taking up the shock---it gets squeezed out. There is a factory bulletin to either repack or to "stroke!" the unit---what a BS fix this is but it works for a while.
2- Windshield noise pass side---from a bug shield changing the air flow!! Tape, caulk windshield to molding or take of the bug shield.
3- Premature front brake wear---factory bulletin for "northern states!!" ie the antilock sensor looses it's ground path due to salt-rust getting under it's mount to the spindal housing. factory bulletin recall---get them to replace the pads if you can.
4- Brake drag noise from the drivers side rear---the parking brake "horse shoe" unit is dragging on the drum and wearing out. Factory bulletin replaces the spring holder and possibly the horse shoe assembly but only on manual shift trucks!!!! how is that for another BS fix from GM?
OK guys, add some more as these trucks are full of BS GM issues~~~~
5-

1) is not a common problem
2) is not a problem, this is caused by aftermarket parts.
3) The problem is not premature brake wear, the problem is the faulty ABS sensor. My OEM brakes lasted over 60K miles.
4) this is not a common issue

4x4 dash switch, Ext Cab doors and fuel sending unit failure were a problem on 1999-2000 trucks, was resolved after that.

Rear end gears did wipe out prematurely (60K or so). this was also resolved on later models.

Pistion slap/cold start knock has NEVER shown to produce damage, there are many 200K mile plus 1999+ vortec trucks out there without issues.

The rest of these sound like basic problems, not rampant throughout the trucks sold and on the road :cool:

My 2000 5.3l GMC has 198K on the clock and is damn near flawless :D

jamie72 03-22-2009 06:44 PM

1# is a common prolbem my wife`s avy is havin that prolbem now. do a web search its all over the net..

DirtyLarry 03-22-2009 09:03 PM

Here is my list….

1) Water pump gasket leaks. Most often misdiagnosed as a $300 leaking water pump rather than $10 gaskets.
2) Engine mount failures. The Pre-2006 trucks as susceptible to the rubber portion of the engine mount to get over heated by the exhaust manifold and the rubber collapses or crumble then fall out. GM has a new engine mount with a heat shield to protect against the heat from the exhaust manifold. The new part number is 25828247. Both LH and RH mounts are the same part number.

Failed original mount on left and new design on right.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/...5dfbf1.jpg?v=0
3) Steering column clunk from the upper intermediate shaft. The original GM bulletin advised to pack it with grease. That was a short time fix that didn’t last very long. GM has had a new design upper intermediate shaft available since early 2008. Part number 19153614
4) The electric shift 4wd system sucks period and is the most unreliable system on the entire truck. Control head failures are the most common failure but the encoder motor on the side of the transfercase is also susceptible to salt water intrusion, which will eventually lead to a failure. The transfer case control module doesn’t have the best track record in reliability either. The AutoTrac transfercase in the non-HD trucks also has a habit of burning clutches. These issues and components are all common with Dodge trucks as well being all this crap is from the same suppliers.

I worked at the GM Technical Assistance in Troy, MI then later Pontiac, MI during the beginning of my automotive industry career before moving to the field. The rotation group I was in received at the time (1998) received call after call on electric shift issues on all GM trucks across the board. The S-series trucks and blazers were the worst! I went out of my way to purchase a manual shift transfercase on my ’98 Z71 and later my ’01 HD. I had no choice on the Hoe as NP8 (AutoCrap) is standard. My new used 2005 HD also has a manual shift tcase.

jrdz2120 03-28-2009 11:00 PM

Not sure if you guys are being picky or what. My 2000 ext. cab 5.3 has been flawless since new. I have 168,500 hard azz miles and no problems. It has original everything including brakes and are still a 1/4 inch thick. Also I would say I made at least 150+ passes at the track and the same on the street and enjoy killing hemis, those week toyotas , and 4.6 stangs. Guess mine is special.

jamie72 03-29-2009 10:18 AM

not trying to be picky, but when you pay 30.000 for a truck you want to get a few years out of it before you have any prolbems, and have to spend $$ on it,if i want to work on something i`ll go work on my 72....

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 05:13 PM

Isn't that what the 5yr 100K warranty is for?

DirtyLarry 03-31-2009 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdz2120 (Post 3225280)
Not sure if you guys are being picky or what. My 2000 ext. cab 5.3 has been flawless since new. I have 168,500 hard azz miles and no problems. It has original everything including brakes and are still a 1/4 inch thick. Also I would say I made at least 150+ passes at the track and the same on the street and enjoy killing hemis, those week toyotas , and 4.6 stangs. Guess mine is special.

Yours isn’t special, it is actually the norm. In the automotive manufacturing and engineering world we have two explanations when trying to explain why one component, piece, part, vehicle, etc will go forever without a single problem while an identical vehicle (or component, piece, part) will suffer from many or all of the “common” problems within what one feel is a short time.

The first is to talk about the upper and lower spec limits of manufacturing. Basically, it boils down to tolerances. Manufacturers have set standards on acceptable tolerances a component must met to be an acceptable part. Of these components some will be better than others as they are closest to the engineering spec (upper spec limit) and some will be towards the lower spec limit, which isn’t bad…it just isn’t as good as those close to spec. The tighter, more consistent the tolerances are the higher quality component, piece, end product, etc will be. The more components, subcomponents, assemblies and end products that can be build with all upper spec limit parts are the best quality.

The second thing is sometimes you will find a vehicle, product, etc that will have a chain of failures of a component or many components at a lower mileage, age, etc and we call that a stack up of tolerances, which is basically a combination of many subcomponents that where built at the lower spec limits that happened to be assembled together in one unit. Think of a water pump that the mounting bosses weren’t machined to exact engineers spec’s but was still within the manufactures acceptable spec limit, and a water pump gasket that was manufactured with one the lower section of the gasket thinner than the top section but the entire gasket still within the manufactures acceptable spec limit. Once you stack these two lower spec limit parts together your failure rate potential of a leak increases drastically. …but that is what a warranty is for. Warranty is an insurance policy against low spec limit components.

Even though it is dirt old TQM principles that an engineering mentor of mine still talks about constantly, it is about the only scientific explanation most people can understand as to why a small percentage of vehicles won’t make it 40,000 miles without a water pump gasket (or whatever), while most will exceed 168,500 hard azz miles (and beyond) with no problems.

chevyfan87 03-31-2009 08:48 AM

in the northern states, the rear backing plates are known for rotting off early in the srevice life of the truck...had mine replaced at 135k because there was nothing left of them, and thats what holds your e-brake assembly in

also, fuel pumps. around here at least everybody i know with one of these trucks has lost a fuel pump before...ive replaced mine twice now...and ive just hit 140k

jrdz2120 03-31-2009 09:48 PM

well,
you make an accurate point. I wasn't trying to be arrogant. We all come to expect an exceptable level of quality and reliability from a purchase that is priced at a large pecentage of our salaries especially at the way things are right now. It seems to me that the 99-2001 silverados came out better the the years that followed. I only experienced the piston slap that was remedied with the proper oil filter, pcv, and switching to 5w30 standard mobil oil.I also used the seafoam engine cleaner and my milage is back up to 415 to 430 miles per tank driving under 80 on the freeway. My best to date is roughly 530 miles from Donna , Texas in the riogrand valley to waxahachie just south of dallas. I hope I didn't jinx myself. Later.:ito:

Joe67 04-04-2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdz2120 (Post 3231297)
well,
you make an accurate point. I wasn't trying to be arrogant. We all come to expect an exceptable level of quality and reliability from a purchase that is priced at a large pecentage of our salaries especially at the way things are right now. It seems to me that the 99-2001 silverados came out better the the years that followed. I only experienced the piston slap that was remedied with the proper oil filter, pcv, and switching to 5w30 standard mobil oil.I also used the seafoam engine cleaner and my milage is back up to 415 to 430 miles per tank driving under 80 on the freeway. My best to date is roughly 530 miles from Donna , Texas in the riogrand valley to waxahachie just south of dallas. I hope I didn't jinx myself. Later.:ito:

My 2000 5.3l GMC still has 'piston slap' that is not remedied by oil or anything else related to general maintenance. I will say that I am about to hit 200K on my truck without ANY issues related to piston slap, in all these years I have yet to read anything that it has caused any issues down the road :D

To me it is just an annoyance and nothing more :cool:

Joe67 04-04-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdz2120 (Post 3225280)

Not being picky, there are some very common problems with the 1999-2001 trucks and they are all pretty much listed above. If you had none of those problems, cool :D

I will say, what mods are done to your truck? I know the 5.3l 2000 Trucks are not killing Hemis on a regular basis without some tweaking ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie72 (Post 3225903)
not trying to be picky, but when you pay 30.000 for a truck you want to get a few years out of it before you have any prolbems, and have to spend $$ on it,if i want to work on something i`ll go work on my 72....

I agree, but any early release will have some annoyances or minor issues that need fixing. as 67ChevyRedneck posted, that is what the warranty is for :metal:

jrdz2120 04-04-2009 08:18 AM

nothing special done. hyperprogrammer, flowmaster, and intake and I would'nt call that treaking. Has the factory g80 with 3.42 gear. I don't know why, but this truck just runs stronger than other 5.3 and 6.0 chevy's that I have driven. I have a friend who has had three different dodges, all hemis and three friends with titans and I can outrun them. Have not messed with the toyota yet. I am gonna get around 70% of the torque managment flashed out and it should really fly if the tranny doesn't die.:uhmk:

Joe67 04-04-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdz2120 (Post 3237792)
nothing special done. hyperprogrammer, flowmaster, and intake and I would'nt call that treaking. Has the factory g80 with 3.42 gear. I don't know why, but this truck just runs stronger than other 5.3 and 6.0 chevy's that I have driven. I have a friend who has had three different dodges, all hemis and three friends with titans and I can outrun them. Have not messed with the toyota yet. I am gonna get around 70% of the torque managment flashed out and it should really fly if the tranny doesn't die.:uhmk:

Did you buy this truck new or used?
Especially with the 3.42 gear, Those Hemis would have to have some payload in the bed :D

jrdz2120 04-04-2009 09:32 AM

I got it used with 7 thousand miles.The glove box has g80 for the lsd and gu6 which is a 3.42. It should have come with 3.73 gt4 and maybe it does, but does'nt show it this way. :ito:

chevyfan87 04-04-2009 12:38 PM

the 4.3 still has a distributor, which the entire body of is plastic...base of the distributor(where the cap hooks down) is prone to cracking and breaking causing misfures

cheyenne402 04-09-2009 11:17 PM

What is the proper pcv and oil filter?

michael bustamante 04-14-2009 04:50 PM

I work for an exteded warranty company and I can tell you the most common problems I see are the
1. guage cluster failure, (pick a guage they all go bad) theres an exteded warraty on this just amended to 80k on 03 and 04 models
2. power steer hoses leaking from hydroboost (recall on this one)
3. fuel guage sending unit, ALL GM`S
4. Intermediate shaft of course.
5. Encoder motor on the 4wd. either the sensor or the motor itself.
6. noise in front end, TSB says to shim the frame in the front
7. idler and pitman arm failure
8. xfer case pump breaks loose, spins and shaft and pops a hole in the case.
Lights going out in the dash, if its an led, its gonna burn out.

Huck 04-20-2009 06:59 PM

I just love the claim about "not common problems" hehehehe. My first was a 2000 Silverado Z71, second was a 2000 Tahoe 4x4 and now I have a 2002 Silverado Lt. All had engine noise, steering column slap, antilock premature break wear in the front, premature parking brake wear on drivers rear, pass floor heater vent issues--and when you look on the web----there are virtually THOUSANDS OF FOLKS WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS---coincidence?? And if NOT common problems, then why does GM have service tips and or recalls on every one of the above???????????????
In my humble opinion, the factory WARRANTY is not designed to help the customer but to reduce the dissatisfaction with faulty designs and or faulty manufacturing. They increase the warranty to compete with other manufacturers. GM extended their warranty not because of tolerance issues but because they are loosing market share to others and if they didn't extend their warranty to compete, they would loose even more share. Multiple tolerance failures is a factor of shody manufacturing and-or shody design allowing failure potential. They can design and built it out or they can try to save pennies and allow it to happen then try to buy your happiness with warranty BS. Sorry guys but I just don't buy it!!