The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   doing an ls swap in my 69 c20 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834034)

scottmitchellrose 05-02-2022 02:11 PM

doing an ls swap in my 69 c20

I hear the stock 5.3 oil pan won't work (crossmember). any recommendations for an oil pan that will work?

LockDoc 05-02-2022 02:26 PM

Re: doing an ls swap in my 69 c20

-
Moving to LSx Swaps Forum.

LockDoc, Moderator
-

Accelo 05-02-2022 03:26 PM

It was my understanding that the truck pan would work. It does depend on your motor setback /placement. However, it hangs down several inches below the front cross-member. If you are running stock height or a 4X4 it will not likely be an issue. If you are going low, I wouldn't recommend the lowest part on the underside of your truck be the oil pan.
I used the GM pan sold just for conversions. Comes with the dipstick and windage tray.
It's a nice piece. This pan will be close to even or sightly above the lowest part of the cross-member. I will get you a picture later today.

CarlsLQ9SS 05-03-2022 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9074265)
It was my understanding that the truck pan would work. It does depend on your motor setback /placement. However, it hangs down several inches below the front cross-member. If you are running stock height or a 4X4 it will not likely be an issue. If you are going low, I wouldn't recommend the lowest part on the underside of your truck be the oil pan.
I used the GM pan sold just for conversions. Comes with the dipstick and windage tray.
It's a nice piece. This pan will be close to even or sightly above the lowest part of the cross-member. I will get you a picture later today.

You are correct, the stock truck LS pan will work but it hangs down past the cross member a few inches. One option is a GM LS muscle car or H2 pan, and can be bought in a complete kit with the windage tray, oil pan, dipstick and tube, with a oil pan gasket and all bolts and nuts for less than $200 on eBay. I had a problem with mine where the drain plug itself hung below the cross member but the rest of the pan was level with or above it. That could have been because of the mounts I used. Another option that I ended up going with on my truck is the 98 to 02 F-body pan. It clears everything really good, and is above the cross member and if your truck is low is a great option.

Nima 05-03-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmitchellrose (Post 9074233)
I hear the stock 5.3 oil pan won't work (crossmember). any recommendations for an oil pan that will work?

It worked for me. I modified my own motor mount saddles which brought my engine up about 1" and that made the stock oil pan at the line with crossmember. I have pictures on my build thread.

scottmitchellrose 05-03-2022 09:59 AM

Many thanks to you both- I'll check ebay. I'm not lowering it- like the high ride.
Scott

scottmitchellrose 05-03-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nima (Post 9074580)
It worked for me. I modified my own motor mount saddles which brought my engine up about 1" and that made the stock oil pan at the line with crossmember. I have pictures on my build thread.

I'll have to find it- thanks- will be cheaper than 200 bucks for the new pan.

kev2809 05-04-2022 05:18 PM

if your not lowering it, you should be ok with the stock pan if its from a truck. the only issue is it hangs below the front crossmember, which shouldnt be an issue if its not lowered