The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sheared off lower coil mount bolt (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=825585)

Buckthetruck 09-06-2021 08:16 PM

Sheared off lower coil mount bolt

2 Attachment(s)
I started working on the rear suspension of my ‘65 C-10 today. While working to remove the lower spring mount plate, the bolt sheared off! The top came off fairly easily so now I am stuck. What is the best way to get the lower mount off? How much tread is on the bolt of I cut off the welded nut? Will it just com off then? Is it possible to “twist” the coil to remove it from the bolt? It is rusted on pretty good. (I think I have attached photos)
Posted via Mobile Device

SkinnyG 09-06-2021 08:29 PM

Re: Sheared off lower coil mount bolt

I used a LOT of penetrant, a torch, and an air hammer to remove the broken bits in mine.

Buckthetruck 09-06-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8967289)
I used a LOT of penetrant, a torch, and an air hammer to remove the broken bits in mine.

So you think heat it up, bang it around, and see if I can twist off the coil? Or cut off the rest of the bolt? Is it threaded at all inside the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device

MT65 09-06-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckthetruck (Post 8967293)
So you think heat it up, bang it around, and see if I can twist off the coil? Or cut off the rest of the bolt? Is it threaded at all inside the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device

The bolt just goes through the hole, not threaded into the arm …coca cola works good on the rust, keep soaking it and drive it out, won’t be easy but do able…if coke will work on that rust, think how your stomach deals with it…

Buckthetruck 09-06-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT65 (Post 8967296)
The bolt just goes through the hole, not threaded into the arm …coca cola works good on the rust, keep soaking it and drive it out, won’t be easy but do able…if coke will work on that rust, think how your stomach deals with it…

Thank you (I stopped drinking Coke 10 years ago!) I may go buy some and try that. With the bolt head off, should I be able to pound the bolt through from the bottom? Or should the bracket be able to be loosened since nothing is threaded in the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device

cwcarpenter98 09-06-2021 09:56 PM

Get a strong punch, your favorite, large hammer, and go to town on it. Since the bolt is already shared off, you'll need new hardware anyways. Once you knock the bolt out, then it will be easier to try to remove the spring holder from the bolt. Bolt in a vice and use a wrench on the square nut to work it back and forth until it unthreads. If you can, save the original spring retainers

MT65 09-06-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckthetruck (Post 8967334)
Thank you (I stopped drinking Coke 10 years ago!) I may go buy some and try that. With the bolt head off, should I be able to pound the bolt through from the bottom? Or should the bracket be able to be loosened since nothing is threaded in the frame?
Posted via Mobile Device

At this point the bolt is just rusted in there, you might be able to save the spring holding parts, heavy on the might, I just sold the ones I had , changed to coilovers…

60 Apache Shorty 09-06-2021 11:10 PM

Are you replacing the coils? mine broke off the same but I was replacing with drop coils. So I just cut the stock coil to get it out of my way and then just used a punch and pushed the broken bolt up and out.

Paul Y 09-07-2021 02:26 AM

Soak the bolt in PB, Coke or your own personal concoction of releasing fluid.

Clean the threads as best you can.

Put 2 nuts on bolt and lock them together.

Put ring spanner over both nuts.

Use force to break the bolt free from its rusty grip.

Once it turns use your best Tanya Harding to knock it through from the bottom.

Good luck!

P. :D

Chevy Fleetside 09-07-2021 09:15 AM

If you have a pickle fork, you might be able to put in under the spring and wedge it out. After a good soaking of course.

Buckthetruck 09-07-2021 09:34 AM

Success!!! After sitting overnight with PB, a little cola in the morning, I was able to use a breaker bar between the spring supports that were already installed and twist it loose! Then just punched the bolt through. Thanks for the help all!
Posted via Mobile Device

SkinnyG 09-07-2021 09:42 AM

Yay!

Barnfind46 09-12-2021 09:51 PM

"Don't you love it when a plan comes together"