The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   LS Swap - Erratic Dakota Digital Temps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=764540)

1bad396ss 05-26-2018 11:20 PM

LS Swap - Erratic Dakota Digital Temps

Dakota sending unit in passenger head. Everything seemed to work fine during startup and burping the system then it pegged hot instantly. Thought I had a grounding issue, but suddenly started working. Now erratically working and not. Wiring of this gauge and various other BIM units seems sound. Is it possible for a air pocket to cause the issue? I ruled any sort of hear soak issues from header and downpipe our when it started to work during hot operating conditions. When working temp seems dead on with expected temp. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.

Russ.W. 05-27-2018 01:49 AM

Re: LS Swap - Erratic Dakota Digital Temps

Have you dropped Dakota Digital an email?

I had an issue with a custom unit, and their customer service was top notch.

Also, which sender did you use? They offer one with a pigtail they specifically recommend for use with some of their systems and the BIM unit.

1957 Chief 05-27-2018 08:21 PM

Id check for an air pocket. Mine did the same upon startup/initial driving.

Bubba

Hart_Rod 05-29-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bad396ss (Post 8269252)
Dakota sending unit in passenger head. Everything seemed to work fine during startup and burping the system then it pegged hot instantly. Thought I had a grounding issue, but suddenly started working. Now erratically working and not. Wiring of this gauge and various other BIM units seems sound. Is it possible for a air pocket to cause the issue? I ruled any sort of hear soak issues from header and downpipe our when it started to work during hot operating conditions. When working temp seems dead on with expected temp. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.

Have you checked it with a scanner to see if you are getting a correct signal from the DD sending unit?

1bad396ss 11-08-2018 08:51 PM

Temps verified during tuning recently, rigged up a recirc tank, purged and purged the system with the truck darn near on the tailgate - thought I had it licksd but no dice. Grounds should be more than fine - single ought welding cable for both engine and trans. I think it is still a bit of air. Upper and lower hoses are basically solid - not rubber that I can squeeze to help burp it. Think I’ll install the steam line kit for the rear of the heads as well and try to come up with some sort of expansion tank placed highest in the system. Crazy how the simple things aren’t so simple sometimes...

87chevy.com 11-08-2018 09:24 PM

Have you compared what the ecu temp via obd2 and digital Dakota is showing? Do you have the heater core lines on the water pump connected to anything?

1bad396ss 11-08-2018 09:41 PM

Yes - the temp on both the ECM and DD are in line when the DD isn’t spiking. I have a loop on the heater lines now until the VA setup is finished. Not blocked but a loop hose.

mongocanfly 11-08-2018 09:44 PM

are you filling the engine thru the top radiator hose? and do you have the heater hoses where they can circulate?