The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What to do???? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834723)

RPBurris 05-21-2022 09:01 PM

What to do????

4 Attachment(s)
I realize this post is like asking a kid if it's a good idea to have more candy but here it goes....I have a line on a 69 short bed, stepside, cab, all body panels, new floor pan (with braces) tons of patch panels including a new roof skin (used to have a sun roof) and it even has a title. The kicker is there is no frame. And no motor/trans, and no interior or glass. This just popped up and I am NOT looking for another project. My truck is finally close to completion and I know that I would simply be storing this one and collecting pieces along the way until I can get to it. Whenever that is. My current truck has been off the road for 10 years now. Even as I am typing this I have changed my mind back and forth. This is a project from the 90s. They were going for the deleted side marker look as well. It is a TON of work but a very blank slate. Originally a 3 speed truck and probably straight six. Not an AC cab. I made what I felt was a reasonable offer and he declined. After I left he texted me a new price that is close.

Ideas? Suggestions??

jocko 05-21-2022 10:31 PM

Re: What to do????

Dyer!? I grew up in the Merrillville/Hobart area. Howdy neighbor!

my 2 cents only, but it's a lot easier to buy a cab and set of fenders for a project that needs them than to buy everything else needed to make a cab and set of fenders into a project. (and is the roof panel removed or am I seeing things??)

Grumpy old man 05-21-2022 11:19 PM

I see that and it looks like , Oh Yeah ! Then I look again and I see $20,000.00 years of searching for parts and dry storage just to get it back to a running driving $20,000.00 truck and a ton of labor . if you can buy it for 1/2 the cost of the bed , Flip it and let someone else have all the fun :smoke:

indymachinist 05-21-2022 11:35 PM

I don’t see a truck there… I see donor body parts. Do you need that? Is it cheap?

72c20customcamper 05-22-2022 09:08 AM

I'd pass on them . What's up with the giant sidemarker holes in the fenders?

jumpsoffrock 05-22-2022 10:24 AM

I agree with the others: I see a pile of parts and a larger pile of problems/setbacks.

If you were desperate for your next project; or you knew you could turn it into something in just a few months ok. But you basically implied that you'd probably never get to it. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...lies/dunno.gif

leddzepp 05-22-2022 10:26 AM

Pass.

dmjlambert 05-22-2022 12:44 PM

I wonder if titles work same in other states. In Texas if the vehicle is not registered for a few years, the title is purged from the state's computer system. Having a paper title does no good. You have to re-title the vehicle from scratch and it must be assembled and be a complete vehicle including engine before they will start the process, and the process includes inspection by a state agency. So that collection of parts would not make an easily registrable vehicle around here and I am skeptical about whether it is actually titled. My truck was complete and I had to re-title it, and it was rather expensive and time consuming to do. I would imagine this collection of parts not having a frame with a matching partial VIN on it will complicate the process. "going for the deleted side marker look" sounds bad to me, it won't get registered in that condition.

Warrens69GMC 05-22-2022 01:09 PM

Unless you will spend the money on a custom chassis, I would pass.