The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Zing the frame...where to cut (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=516418)

ooimpalaoo 03-26-2012 11:38 AM

Zing the frame...where to cut

can anyone on here give me an exact measurement on where i cut the frame to Z it? ive looked at every Z page on here and nothing ....been all over the web nothing...one of you has to know where to cut this frame please help i see a few people asking the same thing and everyone tells them to search it ...i did and from what i see so did most of the other people...there must be a measurement from one point to another please help thanx..i only want to do this once.

andrewmp6 03-26-2012 10:51 PM

Re: Zing the frame...where to cut

Have you looked at a dropmember tho?It will do the same job with out the cutting and welding and you gain rack and pinion too.

ooimpalaoo 03-26-2012 11:10 PM

nope i want to Z i have 2 extra frames and lots of time...and i can weld.....Z time

mud.man.rj 03-26-2012 11:14 PM

Sounds like you have to keep on lookin.:metal:

SCOTI 03-26-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooimpalaoo (Post 5275838)
can anyone on here give me an exact measurement on where i cut the frame to Z it? ive looked at every Z page on here and nothing ....been all over the web nothing...one of you has to know where to cut this frame please help i see a few people asking the same thing and everyone tells them to search it ...i did and from what i see so did most of the other people...there must be a measurement from one point to another please help thanx..i only want to do this once.

There's not 'one' correct answer here....

Take a plumb bob & drop it down from the firewall & put a reference mark on the frame rail. Most of the time, the frame is cut somewhere between that reference mark up to just behind the front shock mount. Look @ the contour of the rail to determine what is most visually appealing to you.

ooimpalaoo 03-27-2012 12:30 AM

oh that help thanx man.

broey 03-28-2012 12:53 AM

if you pair a z'd frame with a pancaked crossmember you wont have to raise your engine as high and may be able to avoid raising the transmission hump. just an idea. if you havent looked into pancakes check this out. here

its a bit more work. but, Its going to be hugely worth it. the biggest problem with a z is how high it places the motor afterwards. I dont know why this isnt just the standard with z'd frames, but it should be. also, I/m sure you have already noticed from the other builds that z their frames, but If you angle your z, to move the crossmember forward, it will help center your wheels in the wheel well.

one last thing, I know you don't want a dropmember. but, I think porterbuilt offers a narrowed control arm kit to suck the wheels in so you can actually steer your truck with its slammed. which you wont be able to do with just a normal z