The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Converting High back bucket seats to low back (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809686)

SoCoC10 07-26-2020 09:13 AM

Converting High back bucket seats to low back

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone converted High back bucket seats to low back? Here’s a picture of what I have.

DeadheadNM 07-26-2020 10:41 AM

Re: Converting High back bucket seats to low back

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe? :)

mrtoni 07-26-2020 02:54 PM

There is a guy who bought a few highbacks from me. He cuts the top off and recovers in 70-72 covers and asks $1200 I could use some plaid material if you discard

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 8781994)
Has anyone converted High back bucket seats to low back? Here’s a picture of what I have.

Posted via Mobile Device

weq92f 07-26-2020 05:14 PM

I took some seats to an upholstery shop asking about the same thing...to cut the back of them down to my glass height, shape the top and make them look right.

The shop didn't want to touch it. Guy explained in detail about how cutting the seats down wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be...that he would have to build new structure into it once existing structure was cut away...

It worked...I chose not to pursue cutting the seats!

Hth,

-klb

chev-obsession 07-26-2020 06:57 PM

I have also been thinking about the same thing... cutting a high back down since they seem to easy to locate or even try looking for a 73-77 blazer/truck seats. curious if its been done and if it is worth it.

davischevy 07-26-2020 10:04 PM

I've never cut any, but this prompted me to think a little. I have a set of 69/72 seats I let sit in a cab for years and the weather was not kind to the lower frames.

Miller's Metal 07-27-2020 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Foams fit good, skirts are different.

davischevy 07-27-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller's Metal (Post 8782413)
Foams fit good, skirts are different.

So is that hoop at the top the only difference in the back?

SCOTI 07-27-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8782616)
So is that hoop at the top the only difference in the back?

x2?

Ol Blue K20 07-27-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8782616)
so is that hoop at the top the only difference in the back?

x3

Miller's Metal 07-27-2020 04:24 PM

Pretty much the same. The high backs don't have the round bar tacked in the back or the slotted holes around inside perimeter of the back. easy fix.
I'm going to try to recover both low and high/converted to low. I will post up the difference.

SCOTI 07-27-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller's Metal (Post 8782791)
Pretty much the same. The high backs don't have the round bar tacked in the back or the slotted holes around inside perimeter of the back. easy fix.
I'm going to try to recover both low and high/converted to low. I will post up the difference.

Thanks & please do post info as you move forward. Curious to see what differences there were on the GM products.

chev-obsession 07-27-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 8781994)

The buckets in the first post are from a blazer correct? Not a van?

SoCoC10 07-28-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chev-obsession (Post 8782804)
The buckets in the first post are from a blazer correct? Not a van?

Driver’s seat has tracks allowing front to rear adjustment while passenger side flips forward so I’m thinking Blazer.

dagnabbitt 07-08-2021 09:51 PM

Checking to see if OP or anyone else has done a successful conversion from hi back to low. I have a set of hi backs that I can't give away, I am willing to cut them down if there is any chance that it will be successful, but I want to do my due diligence.

Jim Boy 07-08-2021 11:01 PM

Just a note folks! Hope that you don't get smacked in the rear after you cut the seats down. I got nailed good and after I woke up with damaged neck and shoulder muscles to this day 16 years later, I swore that with technology today that if I ever did anything with the seats it would have to include restraint protection. High seats or headrests are a must. My two cents worth as it is all I got left cause I own a truck. Have a good one eh.

mehoff400 01-23-2023 09:45 PM

Any update on converting high back to low back?

CAMAROBOY68SS 01-23-2023 10:50 PM

I am in the middle of doing this myself. I forgot to take pics of the test fitting the foam, but the 71/72 style foam fits perfectly. I still need to drill the holes for the hog rings on the back side. I am currently making adaptor risers for the tracks as I want the seats a little lower than stock mounts. I am also too cheap to buy factory bucket seat tracks and my truck is a 68. I got a set of tracks for a 66-67 Chevelle buckets for cheap and I am making those work in my cab to save my bench seat mounts and limit how many new holes I need to drill through the floor.

mehoff400 01-27-2023 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9170569)
I am in the middle of doing this myself. I forgot to take pics of the test fitting the foam, but the 71/72 style foam fits perfectly. I still need to drill the holes for the hog rings on the back side. I am currently making adaptor risers for the tracks as I want the seats a little lower than stock mounts. I am also too cheap to buy factory bucket seat tracks and my truck is a 68. I got a set of tracks for a 66-67 Chevelle buckets for cheap and I am making those work in my cab to save my bench seat mounts and limit how many new holes I need to drill through the floor.

Thought your truck looked familiar. seen you around the PNW at a few truck shows with Northwest C10's and such.

CAMAROBOY68SS 01-27-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehoff400 (Post 9171959)
Thought your truck looked familiar. seen you around the PNW at a few truck shows with Northwest C10's and such.

yep I have been running around the PNW since I got the truck done, gonna do it again this summer as well once I get these bucket seats into the truck.