The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

68 C10 Driver 06-07-2021 05:48 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

I did the Raptor Liner on the underside of the cab (over epoxy primer), and will epoxy prime inside the cab and then coat the floor, firewall, and part way up the back with Lizard Skin.

To finish my rust protection, inside the rockers and the void in inside the roof area will be coated with Waxoyl. The truck should never rust again...

Kronald_70GMC 06-07-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver (Post 8929797)
I did the Raptor Liner on the underside of the cab (over epoxy primer), and will epoxy prime inside the cab and then coat the floor, firewall, and part way up the back with Lizard Skin.

To finish my rust protection, inside the rockers and the void in inside the roof area will be coated with Waxoyl. The truck should never rust again...

That sounds like a solid plan right there. Should be impenetrable.

Kronald_70GMC 06-20-2021 06:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well there was no progress last week as my Sunday was much too busy with getting Daphne baptized, but this week I have had the afternoon to work on the cab. I have been putting more marglass in the passenger door jamb. It is coming out quite nicely so I hope to be starting with regular bondo sometime early July. I still have to body work out the firewall but I may have to leave it until the bottom of the cab has been finished and painted as I will have to set the cab on the firewall to accomplish that.

I will also have to order my Altman Latches at some point as well. I plan to rebuild my door hinges as well at the same time even though they seem tight. Might as well do it now. If anyone has any good info such as where to buy a good quality rebuild kit and a how to link, that would be much appreciated.

May70 06-20-2021 07:45 PM

How is marglass to sand compared to rage filler? Ive used short stand products and they are torture sanding

Kronald_70GMC 06-20-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8934633)
How is marglass to sand compared to rage filler? Ive used short stand products and they are torture sanding

The stuff that I am using is not bad. It's definitely harder to sand than just regular filler but from what I remember the stuff I used to use when I worked in the body shop sanded horrible. I think the stuff I have now is called Pro short strand reinforced body filler.

Kronald_70GMC 06-28-2021 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More filler in the passenger door jamb tonight. Not alot of progress as it is quite hot out and it is hard to stay motivated when it's this uncomfortable to work. We are under heat warnings all week. Today was about 32° C and its only supposed to get hotter as the week goes on. By Thursday, we are supposed to be hitting 38° C. Good thing I'm headed to the lake Thursday morning.:metal:

88Stanger 06-29-2021 10:12 AM

Looking great sir!
I hear you on the heat thing! 111F here yesterday and hotter today. I have a mini-split in the shop and it was not happy at the heat.
I am in about the same place with my "66 cab yours looks better than mine though.

Kronald_70GMC 06-29-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8938114)
Looking great sir!
I hear you on the heat thing! 111F here yesterday and hotter today. I have a mini-split in the shop and it was not happy at the heat.
I am in about the same place with my "66 cab yours looks better than mine though.

Thank you sir, you got me beat on the heat by a few degrees. :devil:

Kronald_70GMC 07-06-2021 06:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Haven't had a chance to work on my truck for a bit but I did swing by and check out my brother's truck on the way home from work today. It's coming along pretty nice! Can't wait till mine looks like this. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 07-07-2021 10:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More filler progress tonight. Passenger door jamb is nearly finished, at least for the Mar glass stage.:lol: I found out that the passenger side of the cab may have been involved in an accident of some sort at some point. It would have been something very minor but as I was doing the Ole body work rub down, I felt a few waves and the rounded portion felt slightly flattened. So I got a coat of glass on that as well. I'm looking forward to being done with the glass. I hope that the lightweight filler will go on smoother as I remember it being much easier to apply. We will see.... any way, here come some more boring pictures.:lol:

Scurry67 07-08-2021 12:47 AM

All that hard work will definitely pay off! I was in the same boat and you just have to take it one day at a time. Have you looked into using feather fill as your filler? It was a lot easier to spray the filler than it was to spread the filler. Keep the updates coming.

Kronald_70GMC 07-08-2021 01:35 AM

I have never used featherfill before. I had thought about it at one point but I already bought a gallon of bondo. I'd it turns out rough, maybe I'll use feather fill for the final coat. Thanks for following along with the build, I will definitely keep the pictures coming but they are pretty boring lol

Chevys4life 07-08-2021 11:28 AM

That cab is looking good!!!!

Kronald_70GMC 07-08-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8941227)
That cab is looking good!!!!

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out

72 tigger 07-08-2021 07:28 PM

Good progress- going to be sweet!

Kronald_70GMC 07-08-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8941378)
Good progress- going to be sweet!

Thanks. If only I was faster :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 07-21-2021 12:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
No progress to speak of on the truck. Hopfully soon. Things were piling up in the shop again and it was time for a major cleanup. I scored some more lighting from work so I've been working on that. One thing led to another and next thing you know, I'm painting my severely yellowed out pegboard to nice bright white. That along with the upgraded work bench light and things are very bright now. I also hung a new light on the other side of my shop and fixed/added more lighting along the front by my welding table. At this point, lighting upgrades are complete as I will not have room for any more fixtures.:lol:

cornerstone 07-22-2021 04:43 PM

What a big difference a nice and clean, bright workspace does. Makes a guy wanna go out and get to work again! ;)

I really like your shelves way up high all around the shop. Looks like it would free up more floor space... a good spot to put things that you don't use that often.

Kronald_70GMC 07-23-2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8948436)
What a big difference a nice and clean, bright workspace does. Makes a guy wanna go out and get to work again! ;)

I really like your shelves way up high all around the shop. Looks like it would free up more floor space... a good spot to put things that you don't use that often.

It sure does make a difference with bright lights, especially during bodywork. The shelves are awesome! I needed to keep as much of my trucks parts up out of my limited work area. I'm getting very close to having it clean. I have a certain standard I need to uphold on account of the wife parking in the one side. Should be back at it again soon

Kronald_70GMC 07-23-2021 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Work continues on the cab, more body filler more dust.:lol: I needed I small block for some sanding in the door jambs so I found a machined aluminum block I had lying around the shop and used it. It works awesome for what I need.

Kronald_70GMC 08-11-2021 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As per the usual summers, I have not been able to drum up much time on the truck. I have however started the process of installing a new top on my welding table that I scored from work. The top that was on there was extremely beat up and very saggy due to the lack of supports in the middle. I will be beefing it up before installing the new top. Hopefully that will be wrapped up by the weekend and I can get back to the feature presentation. ;) :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 08-22-2021 04:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm gonna have to stop giving myself deadlines during the summer, I never make them anyways.:lol: I have finished up the welding table which has cleared up space in the shop so I was finally able to keep hitting up the Mar glass. It is taking much longer than expected to get everything to where I am happy with it. I feel like that is pretty standard when bodywork stage starts. I'll keep on plugging away and hopfully with some luck, I'll be able to move onto regular filler soon. Last picture is a real beauty that showed up at work the other day.

Kronald_70GMC 08-22-2021 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow you really think you have nice straight sheet metal until you get the filler sanded.

Chevys4life 08-23-2021 12:42 PM

You are doing a great job on your cab!!!!

Kronald_70GMC 08-23-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8961748)
You are doing a great job on your cab!!!!

Hey right on! Thanks man :metal: