The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Black Ice. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828813)

FleetsidePaul 12-17-2021 04:52 PM

Black Ice.

My wife hit some black ice yesterday. There were signs posted and she slowed down to 15 mph. She was in 4 wheel drive. That didn't help. She completely lost control and crashed into a snow bank. Which is actually a good thing because the other side of the road was a cliff.

Needless to say that she was rattled but managed to get the Jeep out and go on.

The Jeep was undamaged. But a word to the wise. Never ask if the Jeep is okay before you ask if she's okay. That doesn't go over too well. Trust me on that one. :help:

I have never hit black ice but it sounds nasty. She said that she was helpless. It was slippery as a mud wrestler covered in Vaseline. And the funny thing was that it was a nice clear day. It was cold and it had rained the night before but we had blue skies.

So if you see signs saying icy road. Pay attention. She did everything right. She drove at a very low speed in 4WD and still wiped out.

In the end. It turned out okay. She's okay. The Jeep is okay. I got in a little trouble for being dumb but that's nothing new. All is good. :)

mongocanfly 12-17-2021 04:59 PM

Re: Black Ice.

Probably would also have been a bad time to whip out that new sign while asking about the jeep

LT7A 12-17-2021 05:03 PM

That's a good warning. I don't always take those signs seriously when I don't see anything on the road. And this is a case just like that. I'm glad she's okay. And you, for asking about the Jeep. And the Jeep. Respectively.

Stocker 12-17-2021 06:26 PM

I'm originally from the PNW, and I spent a few years in the midwest (KS, MO, AR). I have seen black ice more times than I ever wanted to. Been lucky (so far!) -- that stuff is treacherous. Glad your wife didn't have a worse experience!

special-K 12-17-2021 06:58 PM

I don't care what color it is, you can't drive one ice! I'm glad she's ok. How's your wife?

KW5413 12-17-2021 07:50 PM

Glad to hear your wife is OK...and you apparently survived...the look. :0

Back in the day I used to drive 50,000 miles a year just to get to work. Way too much of it was in the Northeast. Been caught in blizzards, heavy snowfall and black ice at night. Scraped up against more than a couple of snowbanks. Got real lucky, only had to be pulled out of a couple of them.

You can follow all the rules of the road and still wind up in mess. All of my trucks have been 4x4. I learned decades ago that on ice...all that gives you is all 4 tires spending in concert.

And stay the hell away from other drivers.

1970 CST Short Wide 12-17-2021 08:08 PM

Ahhh the lessons we learn when talking to our wife’s.

FleetsidePaul 12-17-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9008000)
I don't care what color it is, you can't drive one ice! I'm glad she's ok. How's your wife?

:lol::lol:

Yeah ice of any kind can get you. i was walking to my truck and there was ice on the path. Wham bam thank you ma'am. I went straight down on my butt.

But she's fine and the Jeep doesn't have a scratch on it. In all honesty I knew that she was fine while talking to her and I didn't want her to try driving a smashed up vehicle. It just came out wrong.

special-K 12-17-2021 09:29 PM

I had the same experience with the wife I once had (No, that's not why we split). Just up the road from here is a tight about 90* curve and she went straight due to ice through a section of ornamental fence (not real strong). This was in the pretty (yeah, she was too) '90 Blazer I got her and put fiberglass flares painted to match on and I instantly envisioned those all cracked up. So I made the mistake of asking how bad the Blazer was. In my own defense I will say it's a 30mph road, slow sharp turn in any conditions, and I knew she'd be driving even slower, and not be hurt. But it still, shall we say, "offended" her just a little (which in her case compared to others is a lot!) :lol:

The good part is I saw no damage to the Blazer at all. I don't recall if she got hurt or scared, though :lol:

kingsolver72 12-17-2021 09:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two years ago this coming February I hit a patch of black ice in my work van. I skated backwards across two bridges with my cruise control lock in on 70 mph. When I hit the end of the second bridge it corrected the van’s orientation so i could see where I was headed, just in time to put me and the van on the port side in the middle of the highway.
I made it to work about an hour and a half late.

Stocker 12-18-2021 01:37 AM

That oughta buff right out. Not so sure about yer skivvies though.

68bowtie 12-18-2021 02:29 AM

I just can’t believe this thread is still going with all the racist content. :sumo:

Ol Blue K20 12-18-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9008091)
I just can’t believe this thread is still going with all the racist content. :sumo:

:lol::lol::lol:

Boog 12-18-2021 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m sorry. By the title I thought this is where it was headed. :lol:

blazer2007 12-18-2021 10:00 AM

could be worse, what did you call Brazil nuts at christmas .

Ol Blue K20 12-18-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 9008132)
could be worse, what did you call Brazil nuts at christmas .

I remember grandma calling them something unacceptable!! :lol:

72c20customcamper 12-18-2021 12:41 PM

I've learned to never use cruise control when its below 32° . Road could be wet but overpasses will ice up .

Funny you should say never ask about the vehicle before your wife. I had something similar happen daughter called saying the XJ was hung up on a guard rail she went sideways and the jeep went right up it like a ramp . Front wheels one one side rears on the other. Asked if there was damage to the jeep . She got all pissy with me saying what about her ? I said calmly your calling me not crying or upset so I know your ok . Tow company had a hell of a time trying to get it off untill I said just winch it back down the way it went up . The frame was the only thing in contact with the rail . Absolutely no damage to the jeep

Liz 12-18-2021 12:57 PM

Closed, y'all quit... It's the holidays. Reported, reviews and locked. Sorry Paul, glad she's good and didn't hurt you lol