The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   47-55.1 1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=825453)

Gregski 09-02-2021 11:00 AM

1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion

1 Attachment(s)
not mine but interesting none the less, let me know what you all think, lets see if this falls into that love it or hate it category

I'll try to add a poll to this post for fun

1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion, 5 Years and 25,000 miles later | EV Show

NorCalGal 09-02-2021 12:41 PM

Re: 1951 Chevrolet Pickup Truck Electric Conversion

I think it’s cool! They did a good job keeping it original looking.

daveshilling 09-02-2021 12:44 PM

That thing is awesome! No leaks, no hassle.

Tempest67 09-03-2021 05:30 PM

is this the future of "Hot Rodding" ?.... yikes, I am intimidated by EFI,

not for me, but I think they did a good job of keeping the classic look, which we all love.

Gregski 09-03-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8966203)
is this the future of "Hot Rodding" ?.... yikes, I am intimidated by EFI,

having converted two go carts for the kids and a motorcycle I can tell you it is only four components as opposed to dozens in ICE cars (Internal Combustion Engine)

1. there's the motor, yes actually properly called the motor ha ha and it is the size of a water melon yet it can power an average car no problem

2. there's something called the controller this would be like a carburetor, it's usually the size of a toaster (white box in the pic below)

3. there's the batteries obviously, this is where people loose their minds talking about 400 mile range for when they want to drive across the country yet studies have shown the average American drives less than 40 miles per day, ha ha

4. there's the charger for the batteries, this is another point of contention, how long it takes to charge, when we had our electric Nissan leaf we started out charging every single night, freaked out that we are going to get stranded somewhere if we didn't, in the second year we charged every other night, and in the third maybe 3 times a week overnight, and that car only had an 80 mile range

now everything else is the same, you keep your transmission, the brakes are still brakes sure they offer regen but you don't need them really, there's power steering can be mechanical or electric, ac, heater, windshield wipers, etc

you can keep it as simple as you want or geek out as much as you want, but pound for pound electric cars are way simpler than internal combustion engine powered ones, no oil leaks, no fuel tank, no exhaust leaks, no coolant leaks, no radiator, no clutch, no oil pump, no water pump, no mufflers, no catalytic converters, blah blah blah

https://ddmotorsystems.com/upload/VW...70%20-%201.jpg

crossfire84 09-05-2021 10:24 AM

That was awesome! This gives me bad ideas.

Gregski 09-05-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire84 (Post 8966640)
That was awesome! This gives me bad ideas.

lemme hold your beer

mongocanfly 09-05-2021 10:09 PM

It's cool I'll give him that..but the range wouldnt get me as far as I'd want to go in a single trip....dont know about the cost either...they have prices from 7-17+ k..I'm thinking it would be at the upper price range..
I wont say never...but I will say not now...

nvrdone 09-06-2021 04:27 PM

my son just told me he wants to convert his '79 Mustang to an EV. Kit is 12K which is about what a good 351 would cost. So that looks like the next project. I ask him why and he said just to irritate those Tesla drivers when he plugs in at a charging station. Imagine the reaction with a EV powered AD or TF. would be fun.

Gregski 09-06-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8967190)
my son just told me he wants to convert his '79 Mustang to an EV. Kit is 12K which is about what a good 351 would cost. So that looks like the next project. I ask him why and he said just to irritate those Tesla drivers when he plugs in at a charging station. Imagine the reaction with a EV powered AD or TF. would be fun.

good for him, he can probably source the parts for half that if he just buys a wrecked electric car or two

greg_h 09-06-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8966216)
having converted two go carts for the kids and a motorcycle I can tell you it is only four components as opposed to dozens in ICE cars (Internal Combustion Engine)

1. there's the motor, yes actually properly called the motor ha ha and it is the size of a water melon yet it can power an average car no problem

2. there's something called the controller this would be like a carburetor, it's usually the size of a toaster (white box in the pic below)

3. there's the batteries obviously, this is where people loose their minds talking about 400 mile range for when they want to drive across the country yet studies have shown the average American drives less than 40 miles per day, ha ha

4. there's the charger for the batteries, this is another point of contention, how long it takes to charge, when we had our electric Nissan leaf we started out charging every single night, freaked out that we are going to get stranded somewhere if we didn't, in the second year we charged every other night, and in the third maybe 3 times a week overnight, and that car only had an 80 mile range

now everything else is the same, you keep your transmission, the brakes are still brakes sure they offer regen but you don't need them really, there's power steering can be mechanical or electric, ac, heater, windshield wipers, etc

you can keep it as simple as you want or geek out as much as you want, but pound for pound electric cars are way simpler than internal combustion engine powered ones, no oil leaks, no fuel tank, no exhaust leaks, no coolant leaks, no radiator, no clutch, no oil pump, no water pump, no mufflers, no catalytic converters, blah blah blah

https://ddmotorsystems.com/upload/VW...70%20-%201.jpg

I was on board until I found out I would have to give up the personality of the vacuum windshield wipers...Just kidding. That is too cool

Gregski 09-07-2021 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and here's how not to build an electric truck, though it shows how simple they can be

DIY Electric Powerful Truck - Used (Dual 2) Motor, See How To Make