The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds 88-98 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Schematics on AC shroud removal? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=404648)

IndyAnne 05-26-2010 01:48 PM

Schematics on AC shroud removal?

I am stuck. I am trying to remove the upper section of the AC condenser shroud in my 88 K1500 extended cab with factory AC.

I have managed to remove some 7mm screws attaching the top piece to the middle piece. I have the bottom section off for replacement of the heater core (successful). I also got one 10mm screw out that bolts through the firewall. I see some other screw "tails" coming through the firewall in the vicinity of the condenser.

I have the Haynes and Chilton manuals that are general repair and maintenance info, but nothing specific about the AC. I understand it is dangerous to mess with the AC, but I don't want to remove any of the lines, just want to get to the condenser to clean it up.

I have the dash out, including all of the vents, so I can get to as much as possible.

Any advice with photos would be welcome. Thanks!

I will post photos next.

IndyAnne 05-26-2010 02:17 PM

Re: Schematics on AC shroud removal?

Sorry, I am trying to present the photos in line with comments, but it's not working. Please click on the title of each photo at the tops of the photo windows to, I hope, go to the image stored on Flickr.com

Or, see the entire set with descriptions here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/indyann...7624142079892/

Photos now:

I want to remove this upper section of the AC condenser shroud, to clean the condenser; the section with the arched top covers the condenser. This condenser is very dirty, coated with grime, and there are leaves and crud packed in. I can feel that the AC lines in the engine compartment are very cold, maybe not cold enough, but this condenser cleaning will help tremendously, if I could get to it!

This photo shows that the shroud does come apart, clamshell style, that should leave a middle section to hold the heater core in place:

This is the left end of the shroud showing the clamshell fit around a semi-circular section of the central vent assembly:

underneath, looking up at the heater core segment of the shroud:

right end, showing the fan motor shroud, minus the fan and motor:

Locations of a couple of several 7mm screws holding the shroud sections together:

Top top of the condenser shroud, and the location (empty hole) where a 10mm screw bolts through the firewall:

The engine compartment, showing the nut attached to the firewall, I removed the top one, that appears on the left of the photo, but there is a second screw below that is not accessible from inside the cab:

The AC accumulator and the inlet/outlet lines; heater core line into the engine block has a bend/kink in the line:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAnne (Post 3998328)
I am stuck. I am trying to remove the upper section of the AC condenser shroud in my 88 K1500 extended cab with factory AC.

I have managed to remove some 7mm screws attaching the top piece to the middle piece. I have the bottom section off for replacement of the heater core (successful). I also got one 10mm screw out that bolts through the firewall. I see some other screw "tails" coming through the firewall in the vicinity of the condenser.

I have the Haynes and Chilton manuals that are general repair and maintenance info, but nothing specific about the AC. I understand it is dangerous to mess with the AC, but I don't want to remove any of the lines, just want to get to the condenser to clean it up.

I have the dash out, including all of the vents, so I can get to as much as possible.

Any advice with photos would be welcome. Thanks!

I will post photos next.

TennesseeZ 05-26-2010 03:00 PM

Re: Schematics on AC shroud removal?

Off subject but here's some info on creating albums and uploading photos here.

And you can upload directly from your hard drive to a thread by clicking "go advanced" at the bottom of the post window, scroll down to Additional Options, Attach Files, Manage Attachments, and then upload them.

Then you can give a running commentary with each pic, and the pics are stored and never leave the post.